Thought Exercise: What if Draftees were UFA's straight out of college, how much would they be paid?

Chaos

I think it would really hurt the league. There would be crazy money spent on some of the unproven players - especially QBs. Destinations like Miami, LA and NY would have an even bigger advantage recruiting young players. There’s really no point in making that change in isolation. With the NFL’s salary cap floor players are guaranteed a certain percentage of revenues. You’d just be shifting more of that money to rookies. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not sure why any team would offer these guys more than they are slotted for in the 1st currently.  Maybe bidding war for a generational QB coming out, I guess. 

For example If you thought O'Cyrus Torrence was a better guard than Conner McGovern why would you offer Torrence less than McGovern? 

43 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The best players would be paid well, most wouldn't.

That would end the draft and the NFL's best chance of making money this time of year. I hope they don't try to "improve" something that works great as is.

Its called a thought exercise for a reason. Its not a proposal to do away with the draft.   Basically trying to place a dollar value on the draft picks.  If the most anyone would offer Jack Campbell is $4 million per year, and somenoe was willing to offer Zay Flowers $8 million per year, you would have a pretty clear understanding of which of those two you would likely pick, to acquire on the same price rookie contract. 

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

For example If you thought O'Cyrus Torrence was a better guard than Conner McGovern why would you offer Torrence less than McGovern? 

Its called a thought exercise for a reason. Its not a proposal to do away with the draft.   Basically trying to place a dollar value on the draft picks.  If the most anyone would offer Jack Campbell is $4 million per year, and somenoe was willing to offer Zay Flowers $8 million per year, you would have a pretty clear understanding of which of those two you would likely pick, to acquire on the same price rookie contract. 

Seeing that the pay slots have been slotted… You’re probably not gonna get much of a bidding war for anybody but a quarterback

And you didn’t say anything about the salary cap going away…. So they’re not gonna give an unproven rookie some crazy contract That will kill the salary cap

top 10 kids talent wise would still get 7-10 million a year 

Nobody’s gonna Offer the 68th best player in the draft 7 million a year

3 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

I have a better idea, let's draft them out of high school like hockey🤔 could be interesting.

Reading comprehension skills are weak in this country. There is no suggestion to get rid of the draft. 

The current system is really all we know, so while this concept

sounds weird it’s actually pretty logical. Get what the market is willing to pay you and go to that team. As far as the cost of these players? They have huge value. Even in a bidding style system, this is the cheapest labor in the NFL. A reason exists why players on rookie deals are so highly regarded. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Reading comprehension skills are weak in this country. There is no suggestion to get rid of the draft. 

I know it's been that way for me all night😆 think i'm a little to wound up about tomorrow, but in my defense i didn't propose to end the draft🧐

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not sure why any team would offer these guys more than they are slotted for in the 1st currently.  Maybe bidding war for a generational QB coming out, I guess. 

They offered them huge contracts before the rookie wage scale was bargained for.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

They offered them huge contracts before the rookie wage scale was bargained for.

The top cats… and remember why they stopped ?

Because bums like JaMarcus Russell and Sam Bradford stole $50 million

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.