Von Miller-I feel great and positive that I'll be ready to go early in the season

dave mcbride

On 4/19/2023 at 5:00 AM, dave mcbride said:

White had a different injury. I know they both had "acl tears," but from what I read White sustained more damage than a simple tear - he had significant meniscus damage. Miller and the doctors didn't even know his injury was a tear until a couple of weeks later. Anyway, he's older, but he's still obviously elite. He was one of the best DEs in the league last before getting hurt. Call me crazy, but I fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on next season. I don't think the injuries are as comparable as one might think, and anyway for Miller it's clearly not presenting mental hurdles (as it did for White).

You "fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on"?

I'd argue that falls much closer to "desperately hope" than something that should be fully expected.

I certainly hope you're right, but 34 year-olds just do not heal at the same rate as youngsters, or at least very few do. The doctor from Banged Up Bills was on Cover1 within the last couple of days and he doesn't expect him to even play early in the season.

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's called playing scared. Players need to play and be in game shape. 

Maybe he shouldn't even practice because he might get injuried. 

You do realize his injury was a non contact injury. Pretty much a fluke. 

I guess you are OK paying a guy 20MIL to be on a pitch count. Somehow that seems strange to me.

The people who call that "playing scared" are eejits.

You can be in game shape and still need more time to re-train your brain for confidence in the area. These guys aren't supermen, no matter how much we would sometimes like them to be. The mind-to-muscle link has been broken and it can take some time to get it back, and that process doesn't even really start much till you're given the full go in your physical recovery.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You "fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on"?

I'd argue that falls much closer to "desperately hope" than something that should be fully expected.

I certainly hope you're right, but 34 year-olds just do not heal at the same rate as youngsters, or at least very few do. The doctor from Banged Up Bills was on Cover1 within the last couple of days and he doesn't expect him to even play early in the season.

The people who call that "playing scared" are eejits.

You can be in game shape and still need more time to re-train your brain for confidence in the area. These guys aren't robots, no matter how much we would sometimes like them to be.

You get in game shape by playing. It's really that simple Thurman. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

You get in game shape by playing. It's really that simple Thurman. 

Yeah, it's that simple ... if you're desperate to kid yourself.

In the real world, though, it's a long complicated process with a ton of steps along the way.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, it's that simple ... if you're desperate to kid yourself.

In the real world, though, it's a long complicated process with a ton of steps along the way.

Of course there are steps along the way. However, you are kidding yourself if you think players can just turn it on game time. Practice and preparation isn't game time, speed,  pressure, or contact. 

Von can ride the bike, rehab, do wind sprints, participate in practice, etc.. Then suddenly appear in a game and play lights out. I'm not sure what world your living in. Sports don't work that way. Maybe he Will be a first...

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course there are steps along the way. However, you are kidding yourself if you think players can just turn it on game time. Practice and preparation isn't game time, speed,  pressure, or contact. 

Von can ride the bike, rehab, do wind sprints, participate in practice, etc.. Then suddenly appear in a game and play lights out. I'm not sure what world your living in. Sports don't work that way. Maybe he Will be a first...

Um, yeah. I would never argue that. 

What I did say, and you appeared to argue (perhaps I misunderstood?) is that reaching full physical readiness automatically means you are there. Being physically completely ready does not mean you are ready. You appeared to call that "playing scared," and that is just wrong.

Being physically completely ready is a step. But there's more left. And that includes far more than just getting into football shape.

Every person is different. Every body is different. Every mind is different. And every mind-body connection is different. Some people need almost no extra time, but a very large majority need either a little or a lot of time beyond that.

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, yeah. I would never argue that. 

What I did say, and you appeared to argue (perhaps I misunderstood?) is that reaching full physical readiness automatically means you are there. Being physically completely ready does not mean you are ready. You appeared to call that "playing scared," and that is just wrong.

Being physically completely ready is a step. But there's more left. And that includes far more than just getting into football shape.

Every person is different. Every body is different. Every mind is different. And every mind-body connection is different. Some people need almost no extra time, but a very large majority need either a little or a lot of time beyond that.

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

It's all good Thurman. I like the banter back and forth with you. 

I appreciate your intelligence and challenging my mindset. 

I feel like a lot of people have missed this post and it's very informative.  Thanks you @LOVEMESOMEBILLS

On 4/18/2023 at 4:41 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

His message has been consistent since about 10 days after surgery when he was on the Pat Mcafee show. Doctors told him he should be back by August and he was hoping to beat that time frame.

Apparently a 2nd ACL surgery is easier if holes that were drilled in your bone are still in good shape and can be reused. They were, per Von. He said it cuts down on recovery time and rehab can be accelerated because you don't have to wait for the bone to heal up.

He also said he didn't use a brace or crutches after the 1st few days and was walking up and down stairs in a week with a normal gait. Something that did not happen after his 1st ACL surgery.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's early May and the dude is lifting 240 lbs while on one leg

A good sign for sure - but It's lateral stability/movement that matters the most.  People thinking he will be ready week 1 are being a tad overly optimistic IMO

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

A good sign for sure - but It's lateral stability/movement that matters the most.  People thinking he will be ready week 1 are being a tad overly optimistic IMO

He played 9 games before the last time he tore his acl....he then played 16 games the following season and had 14 sacks

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He played 9 games before the last time he tore his acl....he then played 16 games the following season and had 14 sacks

I hope he has monster season like everyone else, but he is 34 now. I don't know how realistic it is for him to be ready by week 1. How effective will he be as well. Again 34.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.