A players perspective on the Bengals game

Magox

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Excuses(explanations) are what you focus on to avoid accountability for failure.   When they are things beyond your control is when there's a real problem going unresolved.

I'm not the one making excuses for players who admit themselves that they ***** the bed. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

I’m genuinely tired with arguing about Chiefs stuff on a Bills forum though. Go ahead and have the last word/dig - slander is the tool of the loser - I won’t respond.

No need to argue Bengals stuff either. Here's why:

The Bengals are better than the Bills

On 3/23/2023 at 9:43 AM, GunnerBill said:

That may be true, but the opposite is definitely true..... they could have had the best gameplans in NFL history on both sides of the ball and if they players had come out and played as they did it would not have mattered one iota. 

Why is it so hard for people to admit that we are just not as good as the opponent? 

Just now, Einstein said:

Why is it so hard for people to admit that we are just not as good as the opponent? 

I don't know if you can take that from that game because while we might not be as good as Cincy we do deserve to be on the same field as them, and in the playoffs, we looked like we didn't. The Bills laid a complete egg. I get how gutting that is on a big stage, but they just sucked on the day. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not the one making excuses for players who admit themselves that they ***** the bed. 

I'm not saying you are, but you do seem to exclude the fact that this is a team game and the coaches have a role to play.   

Back in 2008, during the illustrious Jauron years, our offense struggled mightily.  People blamed the coaches, the players, blah, blah, blah.  At least one of the players stood up and said it was ultimately on them to execute the plays being called.  And he wasn't wrong.

But later in the season, SF 49ers came here to play and beat us.  Former Bill Takeo Spikes did the entire city a solid and went on record crediting 9ers D staff with figuring out what plays we were going to run based on pre-snap cues.  Called our offense "simple" in the process.  Early the next season Turk Schonert quit as OC complaining of Jauron's limited "Pop Warner offense".

These guys play the game.  If they don't have faith in the game plan it's a problem and both sides could be blamed.  But that won't get it fixed.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

LOL are you actually, seriously, using the fact that a player, or more than 1 player, failed to come back from serious injury to argue that they weren't good players before they were injured? 

Generally speaking, great players get another opportunity from SOMEONE. If Mahomes tore both knees tomorrow, he would get the chance to come back. With great players, some team gives them a chance to be on their roster for at least a season after an acl, or achilles, or whatever, because of how good they are. This happens all the time. We’re about to play Von Miller at age 34 coming off of TWO acl injuries in his career. All 3 of the players I mentioned were great at points in their career but by the time they had those injuries they were going downhill fast. That’s why no team gave them another opportunity. One of them was on their 3rd team in 4 years for goodness sakes. Another one was playing on a one year contract. Reid sucks at o-line evals and the o-line only got good once Veach took over as GM. His lines were bottom 15 in the league for half his time in KC before Veach. I’m done talking about Chiefs stuff in a Bills thread but figured i’d at least give you some background of what I meant.

Just now, GaryPinC said:

I'm not saying you are, but you do seem to exclude the fact that this is a team game and the coaches have a role to play.   

Back in 2008, during the illustrious Jauron years, our offense struggled mightily.  People blamed the coaches, the players, blah, blah, blah.  At least one of the players stood up and said it was ultimately on them to execute the plays being called.  And he wasn't wrong.

But later in the season, SF 49ers came here to play and beat us.  Former Bill Takeo Spikes did the entire city a solid and went on record crediting 9ers D staff with figuring out what plays we were going to run based on pre-snap cues.  Called our offense "simple" in the process.  Early the next season Turk Schonert quit as OC complaining of Jauron's limited "Pop Warner offense".

These guys play the game.  If they don't have faith in the game plan it's a problem and both sides could be blamed.  But that won't get it fixed.

I don't exclude that. Never have. But players play. The Bills lost that game primarily because they never showed up. They sucked. There was no energy, no desire, even Josh looked out of it. The players were a bigger problem than any gameplan. They played their worst game all season on the big stage. 

9 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

“If only the team decided to play well” is by far the funniest argument i’ve heard people make.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills lost that game primarily because they never showed up. They sucked. There was no energy, no desire

It looked that way because we were outmatched. It looked the exact same before the Damar injury in the first matchup. It was a carbon copy. Arm wrestle a child and they’ll look like they never showed up either. It’s what an opponent looks like when they’re completely outtalented and outmatched and outcoached. If desire led to winning we would have a roster full of Rudy’s.

I agree we had the talent to make it closer than it was, but we lose either way in my opinion. The team was defeated by the start of the second half because they realized they were outmatched.

Edited by Einstein

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

“If only the team decided to play well” is by far the funniest argument i’ve heard people make.

It looked that way because we were outmatched. It looked the exact same before the Damar injury in the first matchup. It was a carbon copy. Arm wrestle a child and they’ll look like they never showed up either. It’s what an opponent looks like when they’re completely outtalented and outmatched and outcoached. If desire led to winning we would have a roster full of Rudy’s.

I agree we had the talent to make it closer than it was, but we lose either way in my opinion. The team was defeated by the start of the second half because they realized they were outmatched.

In the first matchup we went right down the field on them too. Didn't punch it in. But in the second matchup we couldn't move the ball. Maybe they are just more talented. That is definitely a possibility and on offense it is a fact. But the Bills just played their worst game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

In the first matchup we went right down the field on them too. Didn't punch it in. 

Sounds like a bills versus patriots game for the better part of 17 years. Them scoring touchdowns, and us consoling ourselves by saying we were almost in the end zone.

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Generally speaking, great players get another opportunity from SOMEONE. If Mahomes tore both knees tomorrow, he would get the chance to come back. With great players, some team gives them a chance to be on their roster for at least a season after an acl, or achilles, or whatever, because of how good they are. This happens all the time. We’re about to play Von Miller at age 34 coming off of TWO acl injuries in his career. All 3 of the players I mentioned were great at points in their career but by the time they had those injuries they were going downhill fast. That’s why no team gave them another opportunity. One of them was on their 3rd team in 4 years for goodness sakes. Another one was playing on a one year contract. Reid sucks at o-line evals and the o-line only got good once Veach took over as GM. His lines were bottom 15 in the league for half his time in KC before Veach. I’m done talking about Chiefs stuff in a Bills thread but figured i’d at least give you some background of what I meant.

Mitchell Schwartz was either first or second team All Pro four straight seasons coming into 2020.  He hurt his back and retired after the season.  He was literally the best RT in football up to that point.  Eric Fisher was the Colts starting LT last season.  When he retires, he’ll be in the Chiefs Ring of Honor.  

What in the world are you trying to achieve by pulling post after post out of your ass?  “His lines were bottom 15 for half his time in KC before Veach.”  He coached for 5 seasons prior to Veach and took over a 2-14 team.  So we’re talking about what, 2 seasons of below average talent on a roster he inherited?  That’s somehow a function of poor talent evaluation on his part?

Congratulations.  You are literally the first person in history to accuse Andy Reid of being subpar at evaluating OL.  And to do it a month after he won a Super Bowl with a top 5 line that he built from scratch last season is especially remarkable.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

That Cincy game just got away from Buffalo quickly...against a decimated Buffalo defense, no Von equals not much pressure on the QB and a wrecked secondary. Then, the Buffalo offense depended on the QB to win the game who was under constant pressure...again! Along with very little run game...again! 

Like I said...

On any given Sunday!

The Bengals were fired up because of the tickets selling for the game to be in Atlanta...as If they, (the Bengals) didn't matter...feeling very disrespected by the NFL for selling those tickets. They came out on fire on both sides of the ball and took it to the Buffalo Bills that Sunday. It is a game of emotion and they were just more fired up and determined. 

That said, the outcome could have been different under different circumstances. Like a healthy Von Miller in getting to Joe Burrow quickly. Matt Milano sacked Burrow and stopped a drive at the end of the first quarter. Poyer playing injured. White off a torn ACL and a rookie CB on the other side. Buffalo only had 3 QB hits on Burrow all game, one lone sack by Milano. Little pressure. 

Also. like Buffalo not having a decent run game that they were willing to work at. QB Josh Allen was the leading rusher, again!  Singletary 6 carries, Cook 5 carries. 11 carries for Buffalo RBs in a game is simply ridiculous. The Bengals had 34 carries with Joe Mixon getting 20 alone.  

Buffalo had/has a competitive team that is on par with Cincinnati...just not on that particular Sunday. Which sucks because it was a home playoff game for Buffalo. 

What really hurts is Cincy was fielding 3 of 4 backup players on their offensive line with 3 starters out. Buffalo was supposed to get more pressure on Burrow.  Needless to say, without Von Miller that Bills D...

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We need more Diggs.  Miller is a great leader, he's the positive approach leader.  Like a mentor or bigger brother.

You also need a guy that isn't afraid to get in your face and call you out.  Miller is great...we need more Diggs.

Hopefully one or two players  on the defensive side can be that guy if Miller misses time. I guess Hyde and Poyer would be the logical candidates. Sean and the new DC have to put their imprint on a nastier edge. We have to play with a serious chip on our shoulder. Cinn., KC already think they have our number and the Jets and Dolphins will be playing at a fever pitch against us.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Mitchell Schwartz was either first or second team All Pro four straight seasons coming into 2020.  He hurt his back and retired after the season.  He was literally the best RT in football up to that point.  Eric Fisher was the Colts starting LT last season.  When he retires, he’ll be in the Chiefs Ring of Honor.  

What in the world are you trying to achieve by pulling post after post out of your ass?  “His lines were bottom 15 for half his time in KC before Veach.”  He coached for 5 seasons prior to Veach and took over a 2-14 team.  So we’re talking about what, 2 seasons of below average talent on a roster he inherited?  That’s somehow a function of poor talent evaluation on his part?

Congratulations.  You are literally the first person in history to accuse Andy Reid of being subpar at evaluating OL.  And to do it a month after he won a Super Bowl with a top 5 line that he built from scratch last season is especially remarkable.

I should him an article where over a 20 year period, the Eagles had the most offensive lineman in the Pro Bowl.  Reid was there for 12 of those years as HC and GM.  Einstein said the article was "vague".  

I think what he's trying to achieve is he thinks he's the smartest person in the room.  He's the classic guy that doesn't know what he's talking about but thinks he does and everyone else is wrong that doesn't agree.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Incredible, isn't it?  "Oh yeah, these guys were great players for years but they stopped playing or didn't play as well after major injuries therefore they must suck"

At the risk of sounding like an Andy Reid apologist, let's take it further.  The Chiefs won the Superbowl in 2019 a year after their 1st-year starter won league MVP.  You can't do that without a good OL, you simply can't.  Then they lost the Superbowl, tore down their OL completely, went right back to the conference championship the following year with a rebuilt OL that sustained a bit better run game, and won last season with that OL.  (Still very much an OL built to support the passing game tho)

So they won 2 Superbowls in 4 years with two completely different OLs, and this guy wants to tag Reid as being a poor OL talent evaluator and having bad OLs.

Now let's go back a decade or more to 2009 when Reid rebuilt the Eagles offense around a running miracle on cleats named LeSean McCoy and had a top-10 offense for 3 years with QB named McNabb and Vick.  Completely different style of offense designed around McCoy's skillset in the run game, but amazingly enough, one of the players he brought in (a C named Jason Kelce) is still playing in the league and has won 2 Superbowls himself since then.  No doubt, because Reid is a poor evaluator of OL talent.

It boggles the mind.  I con only pray that the Bills FO might become subpar at evaluating OL talent to that degree.

All I can think of is that the chosen screen name "Einstein" must be intended as ironic.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

Agreed on that. But just as impossible to prove that external factors derailed the season. Best you’ll get is a player making an excuse because no player or coach is going to admit the other team was flat out better. Ego.

There's no point in arguing with you, but I have to call you out for things that you make up that are just flat out untrue.  

Players admit all the time that the other team was better.  They say things like "they were the better team today," and "we couldn't match them on the field today," and "there was nothing we could do to stop that."   We hear that every week from players around the league after losses.  Those are all admissions that the other team was better, at least for that day.  They are all admissions that they were outplayed.

What players are notorious for is NOT talking about their emotions.   They never say, "I had a bad day because I had a fight with my wife this morning," or "I couldn't focus because I had the greatest sex of my life last night," or "I just couldn't do it because my favorite uncle passed away."   They don't talk about their emotions.  Even so, several Bills admitted after the Bengals game that team was flat or didn't have it in them, but no one was going to come out say "you know what, the weight of the world was just too much for us."  They won't because, true or not, they don't want to sound like they're making excuses, and because players rarely talk about their emotions.    

None of the Bills said the Bengals were a better team because the Bills don't believe that they are.    Under ordinary circumstances, the Bills are certainly competitive in some absolute sense.  Yes the Bengals might be the better team, in the sense that if they played 10 games the Bengals might win 6 or 7, but they aren't winning 10.   The Bills are one of the top five teams in the league, and no one is beating a top five 10 out of 10.    The Bills by all means can compete with the Bengals.   They just didn't on that day.  The Chiefs won the Super Bowl and were, in my estimation, the best team in the league.  And yet, the Bills beat them.   If they can beat the best team in the league, they can beat the Bengals, who weren't the best in the league.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

There's no point in arguing with you, but I have to call you out for things that you make up that are just flat out untrue.  

Players admit all the time that the other team was better.  They say things like "they were the better team today," and "we couldn't match them on the field today," and "there was nothing we could do to stop that."   We hear that every week from players around the league after losses.  Those are all admissions that the other team was better, at least for that day.  They are all admissions that they were outplayed.

What players are notorious for is NOT talking about their emotions.   They never say, "I had a bad day because I had a fight with my wife this morning," or "I couldn't focus because I had the greatest sex of my life last night," or "I just couldn't do it because my favorite uncle passed away."   They don't talk about their emotions.  Even so, several Bills admitted after the Bengals game that team was flat or didn't have it in them, but no one was going to come out say "you know what, the weight of the world was just too much for us."  They won't because, true or not, they don't want to sound like they're making excuses, and because players rarely talk about their emotions.    

None of the Bills said the Bengals were a better team because the Bills don't believe that they are.    Under ordinary circumstances, the Bills are certainly competitive in some absolute sense.  Yes the Bengals might be the better team, in the sense that if they played 10 games the Bengals might win 6 or 7, but they aren't winning 10.   The Bills are one of the top five teams in the league, and no one is beating a top five 10 out of 10.    The Bills by all means can compete with the Bengals.   They just didn't on that day.  The Chiefs won the Super Bowl and were, in my estimation, the best team in the league.  And yet, the Bills beat them.   If they can beat the best team in the league, they can beat the Bengals, who weren't the best in the league.  

All I can say to this is:  Thank You.

It's so well put that there's really nothing else to say.

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

but I have to call you out for things that you make up that are just flat out untrue.  

No problem. I'll return the favor.

Players admit all the time that the other team was better.  They say things like "they were the better team today,"

No that's just another way for them to say "we didn't try hard enough". They're not admitting the other team is better, they're admitting the other team was better "today" because they didnt do enough "that day".

Ego.

It's like a child saying "you didnt beat me, you just got lucky!"

Your other quotes i've never seen a player ever make. I have never ever seen a player say; "their team is just plain better - no other way around it". I'm sure its happened at some point, but its certainly not common.

What players are notorious for is NOT talking about their emotions.   They never say, "I had a bad day because I had a fight with my wife this morning," or "I couldn't focus because I had the greatest sex of my life last night,"

Well, obviously. Those examples have nothing to do with a medical issue we all saw on national TV.

From that moment on it was a built-in excuse because everyone saw it happen.  Its an EASY excuse to say "that Damar thing that happened 3 weeks and 2 wins ago is why I sucked today".

Workers around the world are expected to get back to work 3 days after a loved one passes away. And its not expected for their work quality to just plummet.

Others have talked about seeing a co-worker keel over and die in their office job, factory job, farming job, whaetever. They were expected to go right back to work. And no, companies don't expect your work quality to be terrible, THREE WEEKS after, just because you saw a coworker leave in an ambulance.

The entire argument is absolutely ridiculous and ignores how the rest of the world works, just because it's a football team. Its a completely odd thing to watch grown humans make every excuse in the world for athletes.

Yes the Bengals might be the better team, in the sense that if they played 10 games the Bengals might win 6 or 7, but they aren't winning 10.  

If you're under the impression that I think the Bengals would beat  us 10 out of 10 times, well, that's just absurd. 

The Bengals wouldn't beat the worst team in the league 10 out of 10 times. Thats not how the NFL works. The better team wins maybe 7 out of 10 times, as you said.

Sounds like you agree the Bengals are just the better team.

Edited by Einstein

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Chiefs won the Superbowl in 2019 a year after their 1st-year starter won league MVP.  You can't do that without a good OL, you simply can't. 

The Rams literally just won the SB last year while having the 8th worst "stuffed" rate, 4th worst power run rank, 4th worst power success rank, bottom 10 in open field, and bottom half of the league in yards per rush. They were top 10 in sacks given up, though so were the Eagles who went 9-8 and the Vikings who went 8-9 and the Chargers who went 9-8. None of them made the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sounds like you agree the Bengals are just the better team.

Now that the Bills are this good, I no longer ask myself which teams are better than the Bills.   I don't give a hoot, for example, about the power rankings.   When the Bills used to be ranked in the 20s, I'd look at the power rankings and ask myself whether the Bills were better than the teams immediately above them.   I don't do that any more. 

Instead, what I think about is which teams on the schedule will be challenges.   Before the season started, those teams were the Rams, the Chiefs, the Bengals, and maybe one or two others.  After a while it was clear that the Rams actually weren't a challenge, and some other teams looked better.   But the Bengals game was always on my radar as a big, big game.  

And going into the playoff game against I had an uneasy feeling, not because I felt the Bengals were a better team, but because in the recent weeks they had been playing closer to their potential than the Bills were.   I thought the Bengals were playing better.   So, in that sense, I agree with you. 

But then the question, the only question that matters, is WHY were they playing better?   You seem to think, I guess, that the Bengals had a better roster and lineup, and therefore they were better.  I don't think that's true.   I have said for years around here that differences between rosters among well-matched teams are irrelevant - there just isn't that much difference in talent to determine the outcome of games.   Games are won or lost or by how well the team plays, and that has to do with things like their mental attitude, their preparation, the quality of the coaching and game planning, etc.

It's in that context that the emotional state of the individuals and the team is directly relevant to the discussion.   As Gunner said, the players admit they **** the bed in that game.   The question is why would a team as good as the Bills be so uncompetitive?  If, as I believe, the overall talent differential, if there even was one, was minimal.   If the Bengals talent is so otherworldly, why did they lose to the Chiefs the next week?   Don't tell me it's because the Chiefs were better, because that would mean that the Bills should have been obliterated by the Chiefs, which of course they weren't.   

I live in Connecticut.  I'm a UConn fan.  I don't know if you've watched them in the NCAA tournament, but they have been spectacular.  I asked myself if they are better than all the other teams in the tournament, and I realize (1) I don't know, and (2) it's the wrong question.  "Better" only helps predict the outcome if one team is clearly superior to the other.   Once it's clear that no one has clear superiority, then "better" isn't very relevant.   What's relevant is what they need to do to win.   UConn plays Gonzaga tomorrow.   Is UConn better?   No idea.   The relevant question is not who's better, but who will PLAY better.   In January, the Bengals played better.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Rams literally just won the SB last year while having the 8th worst "stuffed" rate, 4th worst power run rank, 4th worst power success rank, bottom 10 in open field, and bottom half of the league in yards per rush. They were top 10 in sacks given up, though so were the Eagles who went 9-8 and the Vikings who went 8-9 and the Chargers who went 9-8. None of them made the playoffs.

PFF who you hold as gospel had the Rams as the 7th best offensive line.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

7. LOS ANGELES RAMS (NO CHANGE)

LT Andrew Whitworth | 86.1
LG David Edwards | 67.5
C Brian Allen | 80.1
RG Austin Corbett | 69.6
RT Rob Havenstein | 81.7

Andrew Whitworth — now 40 years old — was arguably the best pass-blocking left tackle in the NFL this season. He allowed 16 pressures across 15 games while protecting Matthew Stafford’s blindside, and the team had a great bookend on the other side with Rob Havenstein playing some of his best football.

The interior trio was also solid, but cracks appeared quickly whenever this group was forced to the bench. Their final few games saw them slip from the top of the pass-blocking efficiency metrics to 11th by the regular season's end, allowing 144 pressures as a group on the season.

Not to mention, the Eagles literally made the playoffs last year!

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But then the question, the only question that matters, is WHY were they playing better?   You seem to think, I guess, that the Bengals had a better roster and lineup, and therefore they were better.  I don't think that's true.  

Yes sir, this is where we differ. I think the Bengals roster as currently constructed is just a better roster than ours. Mainly because they hit on their draft picks, so they have premium talent on rookie deals. Not just a QB, but great WR's and defensive players on rookie deals.

Beane talked about it here:

To be clear, I hope I'm wrong. I hope you're right. Because if I'm wrong, that means we should go right back to dominating when the 2023 season starts and the players have all gotten over their trauma. 

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

PFF who you hold as gospel had the Rams as the 7th best offensive line.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

7. LOS ANGELES RAMS (NO CHANGE)

LT Andrew Whitworth | 86.1
LG David Edwards | 67.5
C Brian Allen | 80.1
RG Austin Corbett | 69.6
RT Rob Havenstein | 81.7

Andrew Whitworth — now 40 years old — was arguably the best pass-blocking left tackle in the NFL this season. He allowed 16 pressures across 15 games while protecting Matthew Stafford’s blindside, and the team had a great bookend on the other side with Rob Havenstein playing some of his best football.

The interior trio was also solid, but cracks appeared quickly whenever this group was forced to the bench. Their final few games saw them slip from the top of the pass-blocking efficiency metrics to 11th by the regular season's end, allowing 144 pressures as a group on the season.

Not to mention, the Eagles literally made the playoffs last year!

I trust PFF more than myself, so I'll admit i'm wrong on this one.

Not sure why their individual power/rush/open field statistics are so poor and their ranking is so high. Kinda odd.

Edited by Einstein

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I trust PFF more than myself, so I'll admit i'm wrong on this one.

Not sure why their individual power/rush/open field statistics are so poor and their ranking is so high. Kinda odd.

Here's PFF's end of the season rankings.  And this was a week after they beat us in the playoffs!

Uh uh.  Who is right?  PFF or Einstein??

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-power-rankings-2022

1. Kansas City Chiefs

2. Buffalo Bills

3. San Francisco 49ers

4. Philadelphia Eagles

5. Cincinnati Bengals

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Here's PFF's end of the season rankings.  And this was a week after they beat us in the playoffs!

Uh uh.  Who is right?  PFF or Einstein??

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-power-rankings-2022

1. Kansas City Chiefs

2. Buffalo Bills

3. San Francisco 49ers

4. Philadelphia Eagles

5. Cincinnati Bengals

Have you moved on from o-line to overall ranking? Not sure what's happening here.

The Bills were the best team in the NFL for half the season before falling apart in Nov/Dec/Jan. So a top ranking makes sense since PFF uses whole season aggregate data. Not just end-of-season data.

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But then the question, the only question that matters, is WHY were they playing better?   You seem to think, I guess, that the Bengals had a better roster and lineup, and therefore they were better.  I don't think that's true.   I have said for years around here that differences between rosters among well-matched teams are irrelevant - there just isn't that much difference in talent to determine the outcome of games.   Games are won or lost or by how well the team plays, and that has to do with things like their mental attitude, their preparation, the quality of the coaching and game planning, etc.

It's in that context that the emotional state of the individuals and the team is directly relevant to the discussion.   As Gunner said, the players admit they **** the bed in that game.   The question is why would a team as good as the Bills be so uncompetitive?  If, as I believe, the overall talent differential, if there even was one, was minimal.   If the Bengals talent is so otherworldly, why did they lose to the Chiefs the next week?   Don't tell me it's because the Chiefs were better, because that would mean that the Bills should have been obliterated by the Chiefs, which of course they weren't.  

Again, very well written and well thought out post. 

To the point about roster and lineup: The Jaguars beat the Bills last season.  In fact, the Jags kind of embarrassed them.  I don't think anyone would look at last year's Jaguars roster, and say "they were a better roster" and certainly not "they were better coached".  But the Bills came out flat, like "yeah, nothing to worry about here" (or maybe they were all out partying, who knows) and the Jaguars got psyched up "look at them over there, they aren't acting like they want it, they don't deserve to win, let's prove we deserve to win" and that was that story.  The Jags were the better team - that day.

The point is, in the modern NFL, the talent difference is not so large over an entire team that other factors can't come into play. 

I had the chance to chat with a former OLman, a name you would recognize.  One of the questions I asked was, why sometimes a team that's not so good defeats a favored team; or, a less-talented player wins against a dominant player.  As you might imagine, he kinda waffled and said a lot goes into it blah blah. Sometimes the opponent's coach finds weaknesses and has a better plan.  Sometimes the opposing player does a great job of watching film and identifies some tendencies they can exploit. 

But he said (and this is interesting) it's much more mental and emotional than I might think.  He said the most successful players aren't necessarily the most athletic talents, but the guys most driven mentally and most able to turn themselves up emotionally week after week.  That if a team plays a really tough game and pulls out all the stops to win one week, it can be hard to physically recover, put the same level of mental focus into preparation, and get back to the same level of emotional intensity the following week.

He said sometimes one team just comes in fired up and knocks the "better" team off kilter.  And that can change during the game.  We were talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick coming in as a rookie, setting a record (I don't remember for what - comeback by a rookie?)  and defeating the Houston Texans (the Rams were behind 3-24 at the half, and won 33-27) - everyone liked Fitz, and he threw everything he had into the game so the team turned it on and went harder while the Texans were "wait, what just changed?"  But also that sometimes you can't tell the reason why the team is flat, and the reasons the team is fired up might seem petty or silly to outsiders.

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I live in Connecticut.  I'm a UConn fan.  I don't know if you've watched them in the NCAA tournament, but they have been spectacular.  I asked myself if they are better than all the other teams in the tournament, and I realize (1) I don't know, and (2) it's the wrong question.  "Better" only helps predict the outcome if one team is clearly superior to the other.   Once it's clear that no one has clear superiority, then "better" isn't very relevant.   What's relevant is what they need to do to win.   UConn plays Gonzaga tomorrow.   Is UConn better?   No idea.   The relevant question is not who's better, but who will PLAY better.   In January, the Bengals played better.  

My kid now works in Lafeyette, IN, home of Purdue.  I don't think anyone would argue that Fairleigh Dickinson had more talent than Purdue, but they were the better team - that day.

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

I dont think people are necessarily questioning if the Bills are as good as the Bengals. I don't think we are. I think people are saying there is a difference between losing and being shell-shocked dominated. Say what you want about the Bengals but something was wrong with this Bills team down the stretch and you could see things spiraling even before the first Bengals game. The Browns, Lions, Patriots, Dolphins regular season snow game, and Bears games all told me this team was not the same one who started the season. We struggled in every single game down the stretch. We could not create separation in any game and constantly shot ourselves in the foot keeping teams around until the last minute in the 4th quarter of most games. Mentally strong teams don't do this.

We were up 17 - 0 against the Dolphins and just fell off a cliff and made a 3rd String QB all of the sudden competitive. People can say Josh Allen was sloppy but I honestly believe this team was mentally fatigue. I thought they looked fatigue before the regular season Bengals game. The Hamlin situation might have been the final nail in the coffin. 

Is that coaching? Are Players simply mentally weak? Did the defense just finally run out of juice with the secondary and dline constantly being in flux? Did the defense lose a step with Hyde and Miller out? Did Josh Allen's partially torn UCL having a bigger role with the offense collapsing? Did they have a massive weight on their shoulder with every media pundit picking them to win the Superbowl? Did Kim Pegulas medical situation, Stupid Punter nonsense, Knox brother passing, Miami brutal heat game, brutal snow storm and game change, Being stuck in a Chicago hotel over Christmas all catch up to them eventually? I don't know. All I know is this team went through a mountain of off field nonsense and no other team came close to the same adversity. 

I am not trying to make excuses for the Buffalo Bills. They're paid millionares and we're embarrassed by the Bengals. I'm just saying at worse that game should of been undecided deep into the 4th quarter. Every Bills fan knew that game was over 5 minutes into the 1st quarter. Think about that. 

I just hope our oline and dline are  bullies this season. That we get a competent middle linebacker. We add another offensive weapon and that Josh Allen arm is healthy and the roster is relatively healthy. Would also enjoy an off season of Jets and Dolphins hype talk. The Chargers, Broncos, and Raiders were hyped last year and the Chiefs slipped under the radar and had a dynamite season. Thats what I want for Buffalo.

Sorry for the long post.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I dont think people are necessarily questioning if the Bills are as good as the Bengals. I don't think we are. I think people are saying there is a difference between losing and being shell-shocked dominated. Say what you want about the Bengals but something was wrong with this Bills team down the stretch and you could see things spiraling even before the first Bengals game. The Browns, Lions, Patriots, Dolphins regular season snow game, and Bears games all told me this team was not the same one who started the season. We struggled in every single game down the stretch. We could not create separation in any game and constantly shot ourselves in the foot keeping teams around until the last minute in the 4th quarter of most games. Mentally strong teams don't do this.

To your first point, Right On.  The Bills may not be as good a team as the Bengals, especially without two key players on D (Miller and Hyde) and with others playing hurt (Poyer, Phillips) or out (DaQuan Jones).  On the other hand, the Bengals may not be as good a team as the Bengals, especially with 3 backup OL (my point being, both teams were missing important players, no excuse there)

But the question really isn't whether the Bengals roster and coaches, in some abstract sense, are better than the Bills roster and coaches, in some abstract sense.  They may be, they may not be; you can think they're not, I wouldn't fight you over it. 

I think the point people are trying to make, is that the loss, and the way the Bills lost, doesn't necessarily reflect some abstract humongulous talent differential between the teams (more in a minute), but rather a difference in the intensity level with which the teams approached the games.  The Bengals came out hot and gave us everything they had; the Bills looked flat, as though they'd already given everything they had and were writing post-dated checks.  It was a horrible, terrible, no good very bad game.

Then the following week, the Bengals (IMHO) looked flat against the Chiefs, as though the Bengals had already given everything they had and were writing post-dated checks themselves.  Not as flat as the Bills had looked the week before, but still, plenty flat.

I can't tell you why.  I can tell you, that when a team is flat, there's apparently not some magic reset button the coaches can push. 

As far as talent level:

The Bengals are a talented team.  They lost to the Steelers, the Ravens, and split with the Chiefs (regular season W, playoff L) and ended the season 12-4.

The Bills are a talented team.   They beat the Steelers, the Ravens, and the Chiefs in the regular season 13-3 with wins over a number of the same teams.

I don't know if the Bills are better in terms of roster and coaching than the Bengals, or the Bengals are better than the Bills.  I can say that, playing in the same conference against many of the same opponents, winning against some teams they lost to, It's not likely that as of last season, there was some gaping talent chasm - which some people here seem to think there is.  Whether that will be true next season, Can't Tell Yet.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To your first point, Right On.  The Bills may not be as good a team as the Bengals, especially without two key players on D (Miller and Hyde) and with others playing hurt (Poyer, Phillips) or out (DaQuan Jones).  On the other hand, the Bengals may not be as good a team as the Bengals, especially with 3 backup OL (my point being, both teams were missing important players, no excuse there)

But the question really isn't whether the Bengals roster and coaches, in some abstract sense, are better than the Bills roster and coaches, in some abstract sense.  They may be, they may not be; you can think they're not, I wouldn't fight you over it. 

I think the point people are trying to make, is that the loss, and the way the Bills lost, doesn't necessarily reflect some abstract humongulous talent differential between the teams (more in a minute), but rather a difference in the intensity level with which the teams approached the games.  The Bengals came out hot and gave us everything they had; the Bills looked flat, as though they'd already given everything they had and were writing post-dated checks.  It was a horrible, terrible, no good very bad game.

Then the following week, the Bengals (IMHO) looked flat against the Chiefs, as though the Bengals had already given everything they had and were writing post-dated checks themselves.  Not as flat as the Bills had looked the week before, but still, plenty flat.

I can't tell you why.  I can tell you, that when a team is flat, there's apparently not some magic reset button the coaches can push. 

As far as talent level:

The Bengals are a talented team.  They lost to the Steelers, the Ravens, and split with the Chiefs (regular season W, playoff L) and ended the season 12-4.

The Bills are a talented team.   They beat the Steelers, the Ravens, and the Chiefs in the regular season 13-3 with wins over a number of the same teams.

I don't know if the Bills are better in terms of roster and coaching than the Bengals, or the Bengals are better than the Bills.  I can say that, playing in the same conference against many of the same opponents, winning against some teams they lost to, It's not likely that as of last season, there was some gaping talent chasm - which some people here seem to think there is.  Whether that will be true next season, Can't Tell Yet.

I agree with you and it further illustrates my point. The Bills were mentally beaten the second half of the season and it came crashing down in that Bengals game.

They didn't have the spark against Cincinnati. I just don't believe its a Cincinnati only thing. I think the Bills were running on fumes the entire second half of the season and it was only because of their superior roster that they were able to pull out last second wins vs. inferior opponents. 

You raise a good point. I dont think the Bengals looked flat per say vs. the Chiefs. I think the Chiefs found another gear as they were sick of the 0-3 (Mahomes vs. Burrow talk) and the Bengals trash talking before that game. Remember it took a bone headed late hit out of bounds for the Chiefs to attempt a last second field goal.

I still think the Bengals were the best team in the AFC last year. I also think the Bills are closer to 50/50 with the Bengals than being beat down like they were. 

Looking back at the year before the Chiefs had nothing left after playing the Bills and collapsed in the 2nd half vs. the Bengals. 

This mental psych of a team is important. The Eagles and Chiefs pretty much faced zero adversity and basically waltzed to the Superbowl. Football is much easier when you can just focus on ball. 

4 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I just don't believe its a Cincinnati only thing. I think the Bills were running on fumes the entire second half of the season and it was only because of their superior roster that they were able to pull out last second wins vs. inferior opponents.

Bingo and it's something many posters refuse to admit. Beneath all the "abstract" this and that and long posts that say nothing, lies the truth. Which is the Bills hadn't looked good since October.

They lost to Zach Wilson,  blew a double digit lead against the Vikings, barely beat the Lions, were about to get our doors blown off in Cincinnati, and it took everything in our arsenal to squeak by a 3rd string led Miami team in the first round of the playoffs.

The Cinci game was not a one off. It was the standard by that point.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I think the coaches have a role to play, and I think the game plan has a role to play, but I think the way the Bills played vs. the Bengals wasn't a function of the game plan.  

One can say if the team is flat, the coaches haven't done their job correctly to motivate and inspire the players.  But ultimately, great players on great teams have to be interiorly motivated, too; it's not like they're robots where the coaches can wind them up and find the right buttons or give the perfect motivational speech.  Sometimes there's a "right" motivational speech that helps and sometimes I think there isn't.

Edited by Beck Water

22 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I agree with you and it further illustrates my point. The Bills were mentally beaten the second half of the season and it came crashing down in that Bengals game.

They didn't have the spark against Cincinnati. I just don't believe its a Cincinnati only thing. I think the Bills were running on fumes the entire second half of the season and it was only because of their superior roster that they were able to pull out last second wins vs. inferior opponents. 

You raise a good point. I dont think the Bengals looked flat per say vs. the Chiefs. I think the Chiefs found another gear as they were sick of the 0-3 (Mahomes vs. Burrow talk) and the Bengals trash talking before that game. Remember it took a bone headed late hit out of bounds for the Chiefs to attempt a last second field goal.

I still think the Bengals were the best team in the AFC last year. I also think the Bills are closer to 50/50 with the Bengals than being beat down like they were. 

Looking back at the year before the Chiefs had nothing left after playing the Bills and collapsed in the 2nd half vs. the Bengals. 

This mental psych of a team is important. The Eagles and Chiefs pretty much faced zero adversity and basically waltzed to the Superbowl. Football is much easier when you can just focus on ball. 

Agree about 50/50 with the Bengals vs. being waffle-stomped.

I think there might be a point that the Bengals really pumped themselves up for the Bills game and gave it everything they got, then they struggled to get back to the same place and didn't have as much to give vs. the Chiefs, same as happened to the Chiefs last season.  You're likely right that the Chiefs had the "PR pump up" card with all the trash talk about "Burrowhead" and the "0-3 vs. Burrow" talk.  But when I saw Burrow on the sideline in the Bengals game, he didn't look like the same "stone cold killer in the face" we saw vs. the Bills.  He had that thousand-yard glazed stare.  They did put up a better fight than the Bills did, for sure.

I think I disagree that the Bills were "mentally beaten" or "running on fumes" the entire second half of the season.  "Mentally beaten" teams don't win 8 games in a row.  I do feel they were struggling offensively.  Things that they were doing earlier in the season were omitted from their game plan; things that came easily, didn't.  I think that has to do with Josh's UCL injury being worse and hampering him more than was generally reported; he acknowledged at the end of the season that he couldn't throw with his preferred rotational throwing motion and had to revert to a lateral motion that he used prior to 2020 (and was less accurate with).  And then they lost Von Miller and had Poyer's injuries piling up, so the defense wasn't able to pick up the slack.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Agree about 50/50 with the Bengals vs. being waffle-stomped.

I think there might be a point that the Bengals really pumped themselves up for the Bills game and gave it everything they got, then they struggled to get back to the same place and didn't have as much to give vs. the Chiefs, same as happened to the Chiefs last season.  You're likely right that the Chiefs had the "PR pump up" card with all the trash talk about "Burrowhead" and the "0-3 vs. Burrow" talk.  But when I saw Burrow on the sideline in the Bengals game, he didn't look like the same "stone cold killer in the face" we saw vs. the Bills.  He had that thousand-yard glazed stare.  They did put up a better fight than the Bills did, for sure.

I think I disagree that the Bills were "mentally beaten" or "running on fumes" the entire second half of the season.  "Mentally beaten" teams don't win 8 games in a row.  I do feel they were struggling offensively.  Things that they were doing earlier in the season were omitted from their game plan; things that came easily, didn't.  I think that has to do with Josh's UCL injury being worse and hampering him more than was generally reported; he acknowledged at the end of the season that he couldn't throw with his preferred rotational throwing motion and had to revert to a lateral motion that he used prior to 2020 (and was less accurate with).  And then they lost Von Miller and had Poyer's injuries piling up, so the defense wasn't able to pick up the slack.

I think we are in a good place and our downfall is greatly exaggerated. Need another stud on the offense and some solid line additions, plus a middle backer and we are better than ever next season since Josh Allen became our QB. 

Please, please, please fix the oline

17 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I think we are in a good place and our downfall is greatly exaggerated. Need another stud on the offense and some solid line additions, plus a middle backer and we are better than ever next season since Josh Allen became our QB. 

Please, please, please fix the oline

That's 80% where I am - Fix the Oline!  Please fix the Oline!  And, draft an offensive skill player, a WR or TE, before the 4th or 5th round please!  We really can't afford to bring in another highly-paid vet WR on the cap, so we need to succeed with draft-and-develop.

I do agree with the TBN writer who said that keeping Dorsey as OC is the biggest risk the Bills are taking.  He's got to 1) take a step with his play designs and play calling 2) he and Joe Brady have got to get into Josh Allen's psyche and keep him from succumbing to the lure of the Aggressive Deep Shot.  We need an effective short game and a run game to keep teams honest.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/22/2023 at 6:31 PM, KzooMike said:

I don't disagree that we were somewhat off, but as a whole, I found it laughable how easily this forum dismissed the Bengals prior and it's getting to be downright delusional how some people are dismissing them now. 

If the Bills and the Bengals are applying for a job and can only use measurable accomplishments, like record against each other, record against the best team in our conference, playoff record, and on it goes. Buffalo is never getting hired. Perhaps the only piece of data that suggests this is even worth discussing is more history (Allen is older and never was lost for a full year) and advanced statistics like DVOA (which Buffalo has dominated and subsequently shown to not meet). 

Just because we aren't at the same level yet does not mean we can't get there. It does not mean next season isn't our year. It just stating what seem to be obvious facts that some people won't accept for whatever reason. 

There’s a lot of unearned arrogance with a segment of Bills fans … I see them now, laughing at the Jets, dolphins and others as if they are somehow incapable of knocking the Bills off, or that their improvements are abject failures.   I find this strange, for fans of a team that recently has been obliterated in the divisional round. Lest we forget, the bills have won exactly nothing yet, although I guess you can buy a AFCE championship T-shirt on the discount rack and wear that with pride. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

There’s a lot of unearned arrogance with a segment of Bills fans … I see them now, laughing at the Jets, dolphins and others as if they are somehow incapable of knocking the Bills off, or that their improvements are abject failures.   I find this strange, for fans of a team that recently has been obliterated in the divisional round. Lest we forget, the bills have won exactly nothing yet, although I guess you can buy a AFCE championship T-shirt on the discount rack and wear that with pride. 

What have the Bengals won

On 3/22/2023 at 7:30 PM, arcane said:

It's hit a point where this sort of wailing is becoming so obnoxious that I am going to save every single post I see and, when we win the super bowl, create a thread for each poster where we all go in and make fun of the garbage they spewed with such assurance, a sort of internet-forum tarring and feathering. 

And if they don’t, and the coach eventually moves on, I’m pretty certain we will hear nary a word from you … that’s just how these bold statements go. 

18 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I agree but history would suggest one of the Jets or Dolphins this season will be in for a massive let down and one will seriously challenge the Bills for 1st in thr AFCE. Both their olines are inferior to ours and likely won't be resolved this off season. Rogers played behind a far better oline in Green Bay and Miami is putting alot of faith in Tua behind that Dolphins oline. 

Let us not ignore this years schedule will include the following teams for all AFCE teams. Chiefs, Chargers, Payton led Broncos, Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants plus playing one another twice. Thats a daunting schedule. I feel like Miami the past 2 seasons has coasted off a stretch of games where they played seven bottom 10 teams in a row. Thats not happening this year. 

Edited by HaldimandBills

58 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

There’s a lot of unearned arrogance with a segment of Bills fans … I see them now, laughing at the Jets, dolphins and others as if they are somehow incapable of knocking the Bills off, or that their improvements are abject failures.  

I too see this all over the forum. Fans who scoff at the idea of the Jets and Dolphins catching up to us next season. Which is incredible, considering both teams put a loss in our loss column this past season.

That Jets defense is actually dominant. Not fake dominant like McD/Frazier’s defense. And keeps them in every game. Add Rodgers and they will be a pain in the ass.

The Dolphins we’re already a pain in the ass and they’ve only gotten better. Adding Fangio was a great move, and whether you think Ramsey is overrated or not, he’s still better than what they had. They signed a good thumping LB too. The Dolphins got better which is not good considering we barely beat them with a 3rd string QB starting.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That's 80% where I am - Fix the Oline!  Please fix the Oline!  And, draft an offensive skill player, a WR or TE, before the 4th or 5th round please!  We really can't afford to bring in another highly-paid vet WR on the cap, so we need to succeed with draft-and-develop.

I do agree with the TBN writer who said that keeping Dorsey as OC is the biggest risk the Bills are taking.  He's got to 1) take a step with his play designs and play calling 2) he and Joe Brady have got to get into Josh Allen's psyche and keep him from succumbing to the lure of the Aggressive Deep Shot.  We need an effective short game and a run game to keep teams honest.

Same! 

Just don't simply fix it. Stop attempting to get by with average to below-average maybes. Build a top 5 unit!  We all saw what Josh Allen looked like at the end of 2021 when he had time in the pocket. The Bills don't need another WR or TE. What they need...is to give Allen time in the pocket. 

That and a power run game that...you know...with a game plan that actually attempts to utilize the RBs!

I look back at the 2006 Indy Colts. Yes, they had Peyton Manning at QB... with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne at WR. They also had Joseph Addai at RB who gained 1081 yards that season. That season they won the SB!

Before Addai, they had Edgerrin James at RB who ran for 1709 yards in 2000 for Indy. The Colts had a top QB but they also knew how to build a decent run game to take pressure off their QB all those playoff years.

Build a better offensive line and build a decent power run game along with it! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.