The Cincy game & its affect on how we view the team

Success

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That game was canceled after 9 minutes.

You think the results were going to be any different? Even on a dry field we couldn’t come close to stopping them. Our coaches said they were not going to change anything for the playoff game and you saw what happened there. 

• Agree 1

the team that played that game were losers on that day, before they got to the stadium.  just a spent force or an organization.

i will say, saffold, frazier and potentially (but i kinda fade it) edmunds being gone along w miller, hyde, and our new OG being on the team (and of course an upgrade on DC) might be enough to change the game (also poyer maybe having two working legs).

the one thing that stood out in that game is we had 3 dogs on the field who did not accept the loss as it happened.  Milano, Diggs, and Allen.  the rest of the team was swept up, and abject losers like Saffold and frazier just found ways to be net negatives.

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That game was canceled after 9 minutes.

Any one of us who choose to be honest will admit that we were on our way to being blown out in that first Cinci game too.

The Bengals walked down the field with ease on first drive, and were walking down the field again on the second drive before Damar was hurt.

They were physically overpowering us and we had no answers for their passing game. You might have been able to make the argument after the first game, but before the playoff rematch, that we would make adjustments. But the playoff game showed that to be incorrect.

Had that game played out, we surely would have lost.

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Any one of us who choose to be honest will admit that we were on our way to being blown out in that first Cinci game too.

The Bengals walked down the field with ease on first drive, and were walking down the field again on the second drive before Damar was hurt.

They were physically overpowering us and we had no answers for their passing game. You might have been able to make the argument after the first game, but before the playoff rematch, that we would make adjustments. But the playoff game showed that to be incorrect.

You're right. We would've lost by the same score as the playoff game. You can't compete defensively with Poyer/ White at 80% and Miller/ Hyde out.  Frazier threw in the towel as soon as he had his dbs 10+ yards off the ball.

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I’m not really sure what you’re talking about.

My main point is that the crux of this thread is factually not true. It was not just the Cinci game where we looked bad. We have looked “off” since October.

Success wrote “I don't disagree that the Bills struggles in the last month or so,”. He finally relented some. yet you want to make sure he understands you’re right and reply with “It wasn't the last month or so though. It was since October.”

October:

Bills we’re 4-0

Outscoring their opponents: 112-60

November:

Bills were 2-2

Outscoring their opponents 106-101

Josh was injured in the 1st November game vs the Jets and then we lost to Minny in ot. 
December: 4-0

Outscoring their opponents 109-64

January(regular season):1-0, winning by 12 points.

Playoffs: 1-1. You can knock our playoff win, I’m expecting you to, but we beat a playoff team. The Cincy loss was ugly, no doubt, but your assertion that the thread is FACTUALLY not true based on us “looking off since October” is factually incorrect. IMO. Unless you just want to forget about 2 months of UNDEFEATED football in that span,where we had a very large differential in points for vs points against. 
Reminder: you are just giving an opinion. Like everyone else. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The bolded is over the top.

We drove down the field just as easily as they did in that regular season game.  We were stopped short by a ball that sailed a bit, but that was it.  It's more likely that it would have been a high-scoring ,"whoever has the ball last" kind of game than a Cincy blow-out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

yeah, the way we struggled to beat the Dolphins at home in the WCG with their 3rd-stringer under center was a pretty obvious sign of things to come, in hindsight.

The way we struggled in that game was... a lot of Allen making mistakes.  2 picks set them up with great field position, a big return set them up again, then the coup de grace was the fumble TD return.  He even fumbled again up 3 there at the end.  

Then we play cincy and it seems as if he doesn't want to mistakes and just seemed totally off.  Dorsey's game call was off in Miami, and it was off again in cincy.  Nobody seemed to know how to fix it either.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

In soccer, Manchester United lost 7-0 to Liverpool recently. They haven't lost since, qualifying for the next round in two separate competitions. The defeat was an embarrassment where every player bottomed out, but it didn't and hasn't defined their season. It doesn't mean they don't have issues to sort out in the long term but they are one of the best teams in England. That's very much like the Bills post Bengals. The big difference is Manchester United only had to wait four days for the next game, rather than close to eight months of it eating away at the players, staff and fan base.

(Sorry if someone else has made this point; I haven't read every page!)

I mean their only league game since then they drew 0-0 at home to bottom of the league and they progressed yesterday because Fulham self destructed and ended up with 9 men and no coach.  The Liverpool result at least got rid of any absurd notion that they were in a title race. But I do take your point, one result doesn't define any team or any coach or any player. ETH has overseen a season of progress at United and that is the big picture. The Bills are still one of the best teams in the NFL and that is the big picture too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

And how does winning the dolphins game by 3 effect how we view the team?

if Thompson is able to get a 1st down at midfield or waddle doesn’t have 2 big drops we are talking about one of the worst losses in team history

Considering Miami had 231 yards of offense, 2 turnovers, and 4/16 on 3rd downs - i'd probably have put the loss solely at the feet of Allen.

Just now, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

We were heavily out-coached in both playoff games. 

This team has the talent that is going to have to overcome the coach to win it all 

I don't think they were outcoached in Miami - Allen was a total mess.  Dorsey didn't call a beautiful game but it was 17-0 after 4 possessions, and easily could have been more if Buffalo scored on the first drive.  

13 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Considering Miami had 231 yards of offense, 2 turnovers, and 4/16 on 3rd downs - i'd probably have put the loss solely at the feet of Allen.

I don't think they were outcoached in Miami - Allen was a total mess.  Dorsey didn't call a beautiful game but it was 17-0 after 4 possessions, and easily could have been more if Buffalo scored on the first drive.  

allen is the only reason these coaches are still employed 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

The bolded is over the top.

We drove down the field just as easily as they did in that regular season game.  We were stopped short by a ball that sailed a bit, but that was it.  It's more likely that it would have been a high-scoring ,"whoever has the ball last" kind of game than a Cincy blow-out.

There’s always an excuse.

“But the ball sailed a bit..”

”But the ST’s played bad…”

”But Beasley dropped a pass..”

”But Allen fumbled…”

No. The better team just kicked our ass. We hadn’t looked good in months. It was no surprise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Einstein said:

There’s always an excuse.

“But the ball sailed a bit..”

”But the ST’s played bad…”

”But Beasley dropped a pass..”

”But Allen fumbled…”

No. The better team just kicked our ass. We hadn’t looked good in months. It was no surprise.

There is no need to make an "excuse" for the regular season game. You're the one who wants to mischaracterize it and say we were "on our way to being blown out."  Only someone who just started watching the NFL would say that seriously.

It was the 1st quarter of that game.  And Cincy was notorious to that point for not being able to string 2 good halves together.  There is no way whatsoever to say how that game would end up after 2 drives.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

And how does winning the dolphins game by 3 effect how we view the team?

if Thompson is able to get a 1st down at midfield or waddle doesn’t have 2 big drops we are talking about one of the worst losses in team history

You should watch that game again. Josh had 2 picks and a fumble that was recovered for a TD. Missed on a couple of big throws. One of the “drops” by Waddle was actually a great play by the cb to make up for getting beat on the route. We were up 17-3 on Josh’s 1st int. He has someone underneath wide open but decided to heave a long, inaccurate pass for the int. I don’t even know what to say about the fumble by Josh for a TD. If not for Josh, this game isn’t close. Great TEAM win, in spite of Josh, so my view of the team remained positive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Success wrote “I don't disagree that the Bills struggles in the last month or so,”. He finally relented some. yet you want to make sure he understands you’re right and reply with “It wasn't the last month or so though. It was since October.”

If I claim the earth is a square and I relent a little and say “okay maybe it’s flat instead of square”, does that make me right? No, it’s round.

NFL history is littered with teams that had a good record but we’re frauds. Just the season before the Titans had the #1 pick and lost their first playoff game. Happens all the time.

The Bills haven’t looked good since October. Starting in November we lost to Zach freaking Wilson, fumbled the game away against Minnesota, barely beat Detroit, let Miami put 400+ yards against us, and barely beat a 3rd string QB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Success said:

There is no need to make an "excuse" for the regular season game. You're the one who wants to mischaracterize it and say we were "on our way to being blown out."  Only someone who just started watching the NFL would say that seriously.

You might have been able to make that argument if we didn’t see the rematch. If that first matchup was a one and done game, maybe there is a debate about how the game unfolds.

But it wasn’t.

We saw what happened in the rematch. Just like the first game, Cinci walked down the field with ease. It was a carbon copy. We we’re so clearly outmatched in that first game that it’s preposterous to me that anyone thinks we somehow completely change from being physically smacked around to winning.

I get it. You want to pretend that the first game wouldn’t have gone like the second game (despite starting nearly identical) because it goes against your point.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

If I claim the earth is a square and I relent a little and say “okay maybe it’s flat instead of square”, does that make me right? No, it’s round.

NFL history is littered with teams that had a good record but we’re frauds. Just the season before the Titans had the #1 pick and lost their first playoff game. Happens all the time.

The Bills haven’t looked good since October. Starting in November we lost to Zach freaking Wilson, fumbled the game away against Minnesota, barely beat Detroit, let Miami put 400+ yards against us, and barely beat a 3rd string QB. 

Your first paragraph is based on fact at least. The rest is your opinion and some really odd wording. When did the Titans have the #1 pick? I don’t even know what to think of this sentence. 

I see you started with November and Wilson for your examples, even though you swear it started in October. This is becoming a joke.
I’m starting to think we should change screen names. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Your first paragraph is based on fact at least. The rest is your opinion and some really odd wording. When did the Titans have the #1 pick? I don’t even know what to think of this sentence. 

I see you started with November and Wilson for your examples, even though you swear it started in October. This is becoming a joke.
I’m starting to think we should change screen names. 

No, keep them the way they are. I like irony.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.