Is infinity scary?

Royale with Cheese

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you were to taking the numbers zero to 1, there is an infinity amount of numbers between them just because you can keep dividing and just keep adding zeros.

And the universe is expanding in all directions at once.  But what is it expanding into???

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do we really understand the concept of something never ending?  Whatever happens to you when you die, that will never end.  I mean wow.

BTW, I threw out my back and ate a powerful edible and this is what's on my mind.

Let's say you are standing 20 feet away from a brick wall.  You tell yourself "I'm going to walk halfway to the wall and stop."  

So you walk 10 feet and stop, now 10 feet away from the wall.   You repeat this, walking half way, and now stop at 5 feet away from the wall.

You do it again and are now 2.5 feet away from the wall.  In theory, according to mathematics, you can walk "halfway to the wall" infinitely, yet never actually reach the wall.

So you can walk towards the wall, actually move closer to it, but never get there, forever.

What's that all about?

2 hours ago, LeviF said:

Ate a powerful edible at, what, 8:30 in the morning?

Get a job.

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Remedial mathematics with Royale

Aren't you a breath of fresh air on this lovely Wednesday morning!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Let's say you are standing 20 feet away from a brick wall.  You tell yourself "I'm going to walk halfway to the wall and stop."  

So you walk 10 feet and stop, now 10 feet away from the wall.   You repeat this, walking half way, and now stop at 5 feet away from the wall.

You do it again and are now 2.5 feet away from the wall.  In theory, according to mathematics, you can walk "halfway to the wall" infinitely, yet never actually reach the wall.

So you can walk towards the wall, actually move closer to it, but never get there, forever.

What's that all about?

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What's that all about?

Zeno's arrow. A "paradox" that only existed because when Zeno was around we did not understand that an infinite series can converge to a finite limit. In this instance, the sum of the series 1/2^k where k starts at 1 and increases numerically forever, so you get 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 +  ... = 1

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

lol, I know he has a job

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What's that all about?

Zeno's paradox: finitude is inexhaustible in that sense. Asymptotic approach can get infinitely near without ever arriving. In my opinion, that amounts to a bad infinite. I also don't think the infinite as a subject of metaphysics is the same. At least for the ancients, the infinite was understood as a menacing chaos. Form was determinate finite perfections that were threatened by the infinite. If you think Being and the infinite as coincident, there is a way to see that as open ended and susceptible to personal flourishing, but that is touching on matters approached more in myth and theology, though comprehensible as metaphysics. Pascal, on the other hand, was an exemplary proto-modern who saw the infinite as frightening void that put in question the hopes and desires of the human heart.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

And the universe is expanding in all directions at once.  But what is it expanding into???

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into a nothing that is something, then wearing stripes with plaid becomes easy – Albert Einstein

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Of course it is.  If there was a button you could push and you would live (ie. exist with consciousness) forever, would you push it? 

No…absolutely not.

25 minutes ago, Success said:

I saw this on one of the science channels. It's crazy.

I don't think infinity is scary. It's just something we can't comprehend, at all.

That’s what is a little scary…the unknown that we all face.

What if somehow we remain in some sort consciousness after we physically expire?  Does eternity become boring?

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No…absolutely not.

That’s what is a little scary…the unknown that we all face.

What if somehow we remain in some sort consciousness after we physically expire?  Does eternity become boring?

Well, since you're asking - I doubt it.  I watch a lot of stuff on Near-Death experiences, which I do believe in.  It sounds like a different level of consciousness, and there really isn't a concept of "time" as we know it.  I think contemplating it from our more "earthly" perspective can be daunting, but I don't think it's along the lines of needing some good books to read to pass the time, or anything like that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.