Stadium Renderings Part 2

JDHillFan

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Being in the business world as long as I have, I can say unequivocally that you would be SHOCKED at the glaring issues that don't get considered until very late in a project, or NOT AT ALL.

A few examples:

1) When they designed the kingdome, they didn't take into consideration Seattle's near-constant rainfall. After a decade, the roof became so waterlogged that it began to disintegrate.

2) The teflon roof on the Metrodome that when the sun was shining and the lights were on inside, would create a eye-blinding glare at times. Oh and it couldn't withstand Minnesota snow.

3) The roof on Olympic stadium that ripped every time (seemingly) they opened it.

4) The Cowboys stadium that has punts hitting the scoreboard ever year.

Which one of those was designed by Populous? What issues has Populous had? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

we know no dome.  people have to just get over it.  

you don't know the exact size of the scoreboard.  you don't like the design, and that's personal which is fine.  you don't know the exact layout of seating sections, you don't know exactly how the concourse look.  all of this and you're complaining how much it costs.  with no idea of what's going in, cost of materials, cost of labor, etc, and you're complaining about the cost.

all of this teeth gnashing over a rendering.  i build a building for my office a few years ago.  obviously a small project, but the renderings i started with differed quite a bit on the final product.  the generic look of the building was the same, but that was about it.  on top of that, if i tried to build the same structure this year vs the end of 2019 when it was completed, i'd be paying 50-70% more.  it's just how life is right now.

the pics just give some of the basics. Not much else is known

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

Well, I sure know it’s not a dome. I sore know it’s not downtown where it could actually do some good for the area. I sure know that the awnings on the roof aren’t covering the majority of fans from cold and the elements. I sure know that based on the images that I’m sore the architects submitted that the overhangs on the middle sections appear to be club and vip sections just like in the current stadium now where’s ticket prices are already 2500+. Add in that ticket prices will likely double and then add in the PSL fees and you are paying a whole lot for tickets. For the regular Shlubs that don’t manage to get club seats under heat and under cover, they will be paying over twice as much for tickets every game to be in the same crumby weather conditions as they’ve been in for years. And that may be fine for the drunk 20 something crowd but I’m not interested in jumping through flaming tables and freezing my butt off all game. 

You’re complaining that we’re all a bunch of whiney babies because we aren’t happy. I say anyone that is happy with the crap they are showing us is too accepting. It’s like the girl that stays with her boyfriend because he keeps telling her that he lives her but then beats the crap out of her every few weeks. 

so you're upset about not getting a dome.  i get it.  i would love a dome, ( i didn't care about the downtown area as much but i certainly got the idea).  you're concerned about the elements...fine.  the moment you knew there wasn't going to be a dome, you had to get used to getting rained/snowed on in most areas.  those rendering likely don't show exactly ho0w the overhangs are set up, so it's all premature now.  

listen, how long have we hear fans complain about how lousy the stadium was now and how we should be embarrassed.  now we're getting a new stadium, and people are now complaining about how expensive the tickets are going to be.  we've been spoiled forever in terms of cost, and now we're going to be brought in line with typical prices.  for anyone not to expect that is foolish on their part.  we all knew there would be a new stadium, and we all knew it wasn't going to please everyone.  so what are your options?  deal with it the way it is, or just don't buy seasons.  that's it.  being angry on a message board about things were not completely sure of is a joke.  concerning not having a dome, get over it.  

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

the pics just give some of the basics. Not much else is known

correct.  that's my point.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

I'm a retired survey/engineer that worked Nuclear construction so its enjoyable to look at a big project like this for the team I love.

Fans need to be happy with what they will be paying for in my humble opinion.

Then I'm sure you could come up with something better than platforms of people  hanging out a 100 feet above the lower bowl.

For someone who was concerned about the safety hazards of various types of water on the roof, you're surprisingly cavalier about putting a bunch of drunk people up there....

Rest assured, I bet you're going to see tons of happy fans in the sold out stadium for years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I know they’re number 1 in the world in terms of revenue and it’s not particularly close:

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/top-110-sports-facility-architecture-and-ae-firms-2022

Good reputation, and a good reply.

Part of being good at what they do may be transparency and listening to what the public is telling them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I've heard nothing but good things about their stadiums

I'm not going to assume the Bills stadium will be any different 

A little architectural firm trivia….the sports venue design industry took off when HOK Sport was first formed in Kansas City as a spin off from HOK architects, one of the largest architectural firms in the world. They really made their name with the design of Camden Yards ballpark in Baltimore. Prior to Camden Yards sports venue design had little fanfare or personality as was evidenced by the old multi-use stadiums in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. Ever since HOK Sport made headlines, Kansas City has been the home to both HOK Sport and their primary competitors. So every time a new large commission would come in they’d ‘steal’ each other’s staffs to prepare the final drawings…which are a tremendous undertaking. HOK Sport then rebranded, losing the tie to the main HOK office and is now Populous, headquartered in Kansas City. 

There you have it! 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, teef said:

we know no dome.  people have to just get over it.  

I don't think they will. You will be hearing about this for 30 years.

you don't know the exact size of the scoreboard. 

Unless the renderings are purposefully misleading, we can see the size of the scoreboard relative to the stadium around it. It's very small compared to the new stadiums of the NFL. 

you don't like the design, and that's personal which is fine.  you don't know the exact layout of seating sections

We can see how the layout of the seating sections in the renderings. We have an above view, sideline view, and endzone view. Not sure what other view we would need.

you don't know exactly how the concourse look.  all of this and you're complaining how much it costs.  with no idea of what's going in, cost of materials, cost of labor, etc, and you're complaining about the cost.

All these things are NORMAL for stadium's. There is nothing unique about this stadium that will raise costs over a typical NFL stadium. There isn't going to be a surprise section made out of gold raising the cost. Therefore, we can compare this stadium to other NFL stadiums that were built for similar amounts. 

US Bank Stadium (Vikings palace of a stadium) was built for $1.1B in 2016.

Including inflation (using an inflation calculator), that stadium would be $1.3B in 2023. 

The Vikings domed, beautiful, stadium cost less than we what we are spending for this bedpan stadium.

1650451663994.jpg?w=1920

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Figster said:

The point was big projects can have design errors

What do you know about Populous?

I fear the point went over his head. 

The #1 plane manufacturer in the world has watched as their planes fell out of the sky twice in the last several years due to a terrible engineering design of their MCAS system and lack of redundancy in the sensors. 

To say that a big firm can't make mistakes if foolhardy. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don't think they will. You will be hearing about this for 30 years.

Unless the renderings are purposefully misleading, we can see the size of the scoreboard relative to the stadium around it. It's very small compared to the new stadiums of the NFL. 

We can see how the layout of the seating sections in the renderings. We have an above view, sideline view, and endzone view. Not sure what other view we would need.

All these things are NORMAL for stadium's. There is nothing unique about this stadium that will raise costs over a typical NFL stadium. There isn't going to be a surprise section made out of gold raising the cost. Therefore, we can compare this stadium to other NFL stadiums that were built for similar amounts. 

US Bank Stadium (Vikings palace of a stadium) was built for $1.1B in 2016.

Including inflation (using an inflation calculator), that stadium would be $1.3B in 2023. 

The Vikings domed, beautiful, stadium cost less than we what we are spending for this bedpan stadium.

1650451663994.jpg?w=1920

again, you're making assumptions.

on top of that, your looking at inflation from 2016 to 2023?  do you think that's taken into account the recent massive price hike on supplies and labor?   you just can't compare costs now to costs then.  i think that would be obvious.  what was the typical costs of other stadiums in 2016?    there's more of an approach to this than you're considering.  

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

A little architectural firm trivia….the sports venue design industry took off when HOK Sport was first formed in Kansas City as a spin off from HOK architects, one of the largest architectural firms in the world. They really made their name with the design of Camden Yards ballpark in Baltimore. Prior to Camden Yards sports venue design had little fanfare or personality as was evidenced by the old multi-use stadiums in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. Ever since HOK Sport made headlines, Kansas City has been the home to both HOK Sport and their primary competitors. So every time a new large commission would come in they’d ‘steal’ each other’s staffs to prepare the final drawings…which are a tremendous undertaking. HOK Sport then rebranded, losing the tie to the main HOK office and is now Populous, headquartered in Kansas City. 

There you have it! 

And that's...H Oh Kay...with me

200.gif

tottenham-hotspur-new-stadium-external-v

Nufcjimmy-20220504120915.jpg

tottenham-hotspur-stadium-east-stand-155

Heres a few pictures of Tottenham Stadium which may have helped influence the Bills new stadium design.

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I fear the point went over his head. 

The #1 plane manufacturer in the world has watched as their planes fell out of the sky twice in the last several years due to a terrible engineering design of their MCAS system and lack of redundancy in the sensors. 

To say that a big firm can't make mistakes if foolhardy

Amen to that...

Revisions are constantly being made when a big project is under construction

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, teef said:

again, you're making assumptions.

on top of that, your looking at inflation from 2016 to 2023?  do you think that's taken into account the recent massive price hike on supplies and labor?   you just can't compare costs now to costs then.  i think that would be obvious.  what was the typical costs of other stadiums in 2016?    there's more of an approach to this than you're considering.  

Yeah, that's all inflation.

Falcons opened their massive stadium with a mall apparently in it the following year (2017) for $1.5B.

15 minutes ago, Figster said:

tottenham-hotspur-new-stadium-external-v

Nufcjimmy-20220504120915.jpg

tottenham-hotspur-stadium-east-stand-155

Heres a few pictures of Tottenham Stadium which may have helped influence the Bills new stadium design.

Amen to that...

Now THAT is a much sharper looking stadium.

The mini-roof appears to cover way more seats, and the seats are not blocky. I like the curved seat section in the endzone (or goal area).

Looking at the Tottenham stadium (thank you Figster) why didn't we do this? It was even designed by populous!

We would still have the snow/rain/weather games that people love, and fans get to stay dry. This blows what we see in our new renderings out of the water.

Populous_Tottenham-Hotspur-Stadium_Credi

NFL-RAIDERS_-BEARS_061019_010_lo-res-sca

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Falcons opened their massive stadium with a mall apparently in it the following year (2017) for $1.5B.

The mini-roof appears to cover way more seats, and the seats are not blocky. I like the curved seat section in the endzone (or goal area).

Very appealing Stadium design. I agree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed. Even the Titans stadium looks much better and didn't cost that much more. IMO it feels like they went with the best stadium they can do for the price they were willing to spend. Since it's only going to be used for the Bills and they aren't getting a Super Bowl here why spend more then needed. For most fans the fact this means the team is staying is good enough. They got an improved stadium over Highmark. What more do you need?

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Agreed. Even the Titans stadium looks much better and didn't cost that much more. IMO it feels like they went with the best stadium they can do for the price they were willing to spend. Since it's only going to be used for the Bills and they aren't getting a Super Bowl here why spend more then needed. For most fans the fact this means the team is staying is good enough. They got an improved stadium over Highmark. What more do you need?

Keeping the fans and players in a more favorable temp and playing conditions at a critical time of the season/playoffs would be most beneficial IMO. At bare minimum its not to much to ask IMO.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:05 PM, Kiva said:

As long as it’s inside. A Dome is ALL that matters.  These rendering are not impressive at all. It’s almost like they don’t want to spend the money necessary. City of Buffalo? Pegula? 

Agreed. Compared to the most recent Jetson’s-style stadiums that have become the NFL standard, that looks old before it’s even built. 
BTW- any word on when someone will turn that first shovel of dirt or do they have to form a committee and do a shovel study first?

It’s ridiculous how protracted any construction effort is up there. 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

more seating is exactly what they do not want in order to command more $ per seat. Hence the reduced capacity from Highmark. Tennessee and Washington are planning the same thing.

edit: https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2022/11/23/19390/heres-why-nfl-teams-want-smaller-stadiums-and-its-not-about-saving-fans-from-nosebleeds/

It’s likely more about the fact that since season tix prices are going to more than double and then add thousands in PSLs they know they are going to price so many thousands of fans out of a venue they have a hard time filling up now with the cheapest prices in the league. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.