Good article by Bruce Nolan re: Beane's draft capital expenditure since 2018

LABILLBACKER

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

And embarassed in the playoffs

4-3 in the playoffs the last three years. Hardly an embarrassment. 

Most playoff wins the past three seasons:

KC-7

Bengals, Bucs and Rams-5

Bills-4

Have we been the best playoff team the past few years, no. Embarrassment?!? If you’re a sourpuss, sure. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

4-3 in the playoffs the last three years. Hardly an embarrassment. 

Most playoff wins the past three seasons:

KC-7

Bengals, Bucs and Rams-5

Bills-4

Have we been the best playoff team the past few years, no. Embarrassment?!? If you’re a sourpuss, sure. 

So you are cool with being 5th, not even top 3? I was referring to this year's playoffs, almost losing to a 3rd string QB and then a no-show in the snow, as embarrassing. 

13 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

So you are cool with being 5th, not even top 3? I was referring to this year's playoffs, almost losing to a 3rd string QB and then a no-show in the snow, as embarrassing. 

Yes, I’m good with being where we are. Why diminish a playoff win!?! Just why?!? 
That says a lot to me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

easy.  In the 1st, you take the Center from Minn (if he is still there).  Then you can even get Patterson from ND in the 2nd.  Or trade back and get Patterson in the 2nd.  Here are some places to find IOL rankings/reviews.  

https://walterfootball.com/draft2023OG.php

https://walterfootball.com/draft2023C.php

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/OL/1/2023

I’m not saying that Schmitz is a bad prospect, but How many C are taken in round 1?  Not many and Schmitz isn’t that special that he should be an exception.  I think you can probably get Patterson in 3rd or 4th. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nobody would if they won the SB…. Unfortunately they came out the next week and looked disinterested and were absolutely manhandled. 

That’s a reason to poo poo a playoff win?!?! 
Really? This doesn’t sound ridiculous to you?  

6 hours ago, uticaclub said:

This isn't the 2006 Buffalo Bills. Making the playoffs is no longer the goal. We've lost in the playoffs for the same reason 4 years in a row, you can tell the players aren't bought into "the process" as they once were, and the roster is full of holes. Yes, we have Allen and will be good with him, but we cannot be truly great unless changes are made. If you think last season as successful, we have different options. 

We can go backwards we absolutely can go backwards

On 2/24/2023 at 8:15 PM, PBF81 said:

... or RB or TE.  

Knox is OK but far from impact.  When he's on he's great, which is three or four games a season.  When he's not he's invisible, which is the other dozen.  We don't need a Kelce, but 45-50 YPG would be nice.  

Knox had a TD in 5 straight games at the end of the season, maybe 6.  

1 hour ago, Manther said:

Knox had a TD in 5 straight games at the end of the season, maybe 6.  

He also didn't even average 30 ypg in four of those games.  

Did you look at the other 11 regular season games?   He couldn't even average 30 ypg, and he didn't even post one TD every five games.  He only posted one game of more than 41 yards & a TD all season.  

His overall performance among starting TEs was very average.  He's far from being Kelce.  You seem to think that's funny although not sure why.  

He's hardly the type of player that you lose and your team collapses.  

20 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He also didn't even average 30 ypg in four of those games.  

Did you look at the other 11 regular season games?   He couldn't even average 30 ypg, and he didn't even post one TD every five games.  He only posted one game of more than 41 yards & a TD all season.  

His overall performance among starting TEs was very average.  He's far from being Kelce.  You seem to think that's funny although not sure why.  

He's hardly the type of player that you lose and your team collapses.  

Kelce is the focal point of KC's attack. He's the first option once Hill was traded and before that they were 1A and 1B.

I'm not comparing Knox to Kelce because among other things, Andy Reid is a genius offensive mind who schemes players wide open.

Kelce is in the conversation for best TE of all time. Knox, however, is better than his numbers. He was asked to support the sieve o-line for much of the year and Allen and our offense do not treat him as a primary option, or even secondary for that matter. I believe he could contribute much more based on his skill set.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Knox, however, is better than his numbers. He was asked to support the sieve o-line for much of the year and Allen and our offense do not treat him as a primary option, or even secondary for that matter. I believe he could contribute much more based on his skill set.

My original point was that Knox was not an impact player, we're not going to lose games because he's not on the field.  Not so with Allen, Diggs, Dawkins, or now Milano as our only starting caliber LB.  Manther seemed to think that was funny and inaccurate, which is fine.  Perhaps the team would fall apart offensively if Knox weren't on the field.  I guess any possibility exists.  I'm simply not seeing it nor are most people.  

No argument with your statements there, that wasn't my original point.  Manther seems to think that fewer than 30 ypg and a sporadic TD is something worthy of note.  

As to Knox, again, I tend to agree with you above here.  Having said that, he's been here for 4 seasons now and if there's one word that accurately describes his play, it's gotta be inconsistent.  

He'll post a big game once ('22) or twice ('21) a season, but then falls back into the ranks of mediocrity.  I believe that he could contribute much more as well, ... if he were used properly.  I also believe that Singletary could be a 1,200 Yard 8 TD RB, ... if he were used properly.  I also believe that Allen could be a much better pocket passer in addition to his legendary skillset otherwise, ... if he had a better OL and better offensive play calling.  But now we're talking about coaching and management/drafting.  

We've now had 6 years of "The Process," and the reason why players like Knox aren't doing what you (and I) claim he could be doing, is precisely because of that ill-defined "[The] Process."   

So, here we are, discussing something that we have absolutely  no control over.  LOL  

• Agree 1

On 2/25/2023 at 6:49 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree that I would prefer OL help, but who on the IOL will be available when they pick that is worth that investment?  If O’cyrus Torrence doesn’t fit their OL scheme, who do you take?  

Well when we pick the best linemen available might be the likes of:

Cody Mauch ND state

Nick Broeker ole Miss

Tyler Steen Alabama 

these 3 cats were tackles at one point. 
I like Mauch he’s an animal watch his tape.

think these guys are projected late first early seconds.

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Kelce is the focal point of KC's attack. He's the first option once Hill was traded and before that they were 1A and 1B.

I'm not comparing Knox to Kelce because among other things, Andy Reid is a genius offensive mind who schemes players wide open.

Kelce is in the conversation for best TE of all time. Knox, however, is better than his numbers. He was asked to support the sieve o-line for much of the year and Allen and our offense do not treat him as a primary option, or even secondary for that matter. I believe he could contribute much more based on his skill set.

Knox's quiet first half I think was more a product of Dorsey asking him to block more. It was a bad strategy. If your OL is awful then get better olineman.  Don't ask Dawson to be your 6th olineman because Spencer & Q are getting burned constantly. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Well when we pick the best linemen available might be the likes of:

Cody Mauch ND state

Nick Broeker ole Miss

Tyler Steen Alabama 

these 3 cats were tackles at one point. 
I like Mauch he’s an animal watch his tape.

think these guys are projected late first early seconds.

Mauch is the only one of that bunch that is even a contender for round 1 and he is iffy.

2019, 2020 and 2021 drafts look poor. We hit on a lot of players in the 17 and 18 drafts that allowed the team to ascend. Not hitting on players from 19-21 has helped contribute to salary cap issues with us having to fill more holes via free agency. Still can’t believe we passed over AJ Brown and DK. 22 draft at least looks a little more promising but they are going to need to string more good drafts together or this team is going to continue to decline. 

Edited by racketmaster

Decent article.  But it neglects us trading a 1st Round pick for Stefon Diggs.

The problem isn't necessarily which positions we are allocating resources.

The problem is that Brandon Beane is missing on too many picks in general.

You simply can't afford to waste 2nd/3rd Round picks on backups and busts.  If we hit on guys like Cody Ford, AJ Epenesa, Boogie Basham, Zack Moss, etc... then we could focus our free agency dollars on the other positions.  We could definitely afford to sign or trade for a good WR opposite Diggs, except we still need to address positions like the Offensive Line, Defensive Line and Running Back (among others).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.