Public Student Loan Forgiveness?

Johnny Hammersticks

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Right before my HS graduation, my grandfather offered to buy me a truck, pay for all my tools, and pay my tuition to attend trade school/training program of my choosing.  I declined.  I often regret that decision.

One of the other dads at our kid’s school went into serious debt to get thru law school. By the time we got to be friends he was instead doing woodworking in his garage. And very happy about it. 

How is a kid supposed to know? You just hope you find the right fit for you one day. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm sure... and I can't really post my thoughts in this forum, but congrats.

Cool man 👍.  Like I said, I paid off ~85K of my student loans as an educator often working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet for my family.  Never once missed or made a late payment.  So I don’t feel guilty at all about having my loans forgiven.  I feel like, for once, middle class people like myself are getting a break.  I also could find other ways to use my PhD and make more money, but I choose to work in the trenches of the public schools because that’s where I can make my greatest difference for kids and families as a psychologist.  Not that I feel the need to defend myself here, but ya’know…

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I feel very fortunate in that hubby had half academic scholarship and a very employable degree straight out of college (Electrical engineering). From there his career grew and eventually due to stock options we were able to fund our kids educations without loans. 

Being reimbursed tuition costs Im thinking damn...I mean I would have never thought a program like that would ever exist.

Having said that the educations they received were worth the money so Im not mad having paid it. But Super fortunate not to have had loans.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I was at a luncheon a while back and the speaker was from the economic development commission. He talked about trying to attract new businesses to the area, and the obstacles they faced. He said the companies they were trying to attract didn’t need more young people with college degrees, they needed welders and plumbers. You can make a fine living if you have mastered a trade. 

I've told one of my nephews who was undecided what he wanted to do, just drive by a construction site and look at the vehicles.  A lot of newer pickups, etc.  

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Cool man 👍.  Like I said, I paid off ~85K of my student loans as an educator often working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet for my family.  Never once missed or made a late payment.  So I don’t feel guilty at all about having my loans forgiven.  I feel like, for once, middle class people like myself are getting a break.  I also could find other ways to use my PhD and make more money, but I choose to work in the trenches of the public schools because that’s where I can make my greatest difference for kids and families as a psychologist.  Not that I feel the need to defend myself here, but ya’know…

DOCTOR Johnny Hammersticks. Psychologist. That is awesome! In the schools? I have seen your kind in my kids tenure. BRAVO and Thank you for what you do hermano. !~!~!

A Dr John Toews literally helped save my family due to issues with my daughter who is autistic. back in 1987 they called it "Pervasive Developmental Disorder"  As a school anecdotal story for you will appreciate. my daughter began special ed in the public schools. And as you well know every 3 years there is a broad comprehensive consult and reassessment of test scores relating to her IEP. (her educational plan)  Living here ended up being in a vicinity with leading research into autism education. "Brain Pathways" was a program where by a series of listening and physical exercise on a yoga mat (example the crawling movement)  the attempt it to create these brain pathways to increase acumen I guess? What Im trying to say is after having taken this course in middle school for her tri annual review it was revealed that my daughters test score for IQ had gone up 25 points. Which at the time was considered freaking shocking frankly. In the best way 🙂

m

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I've told one of my nephews who was undecided what he wanted to do, just drive by a construction site and look at the vehicles.  A lot of newer pickups, etc.  

I think there is more than one way to interpret that observation.  I mean, drive by a military base and check out the 27% APR enlisted car show.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

'Don't worry about how valuable an Ivy League degree is! It's too expensive and you should become a plumber or welder instead.'

How many kids can realistically get ahold of an H bomb?

There’s a point to be made but it’s already been made here without the silly absurdities. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeviF said:

How many kids can realistically get ahold of an H bomb?

There’s a point to be made but it’s already been made here without the silly absurdities. 

You can't raise them believing it and then not expect them to try.

You also can't pretend that 'trades' aren't code spoken by people who don't understand manual labor.

'We need more welders and HVAC techs' is a rhetorical device, it's not meaningful.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You also can't pretend that 'trades' aren't code spoken by people who don't understand manual labor.

'We need more welders and HVAC techs' is a rhetorical device, it's not meaningful.

That’s a valid point that can be made without pretending everyone deserves or is capable of completing an Ivy League education. 

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Who cares about codes and stigma?  Money talks.  $100k a year in skilled trade with a highschool diploma has greater spending power than a $65k a year white collar gig with a liberal arts degree.  We need to stop telling kids "if you don't go to college you end up like..." and start educating them on the paths available and what they mean lifestyle wise.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Who cares about codes and stigma?  Money talks.  $100k a year in skilled trade with a highschool diploma has greater spending power than a $65k a year white collar gig with a liberal arts degree.  We need to stop telling kids "if you don't go to college you end up like..." and start educating them on the paths available and what they mean lifestyle wise.

I am neither a plumber nor a welder but I am fairly certain you don't make $100k/yr at either without significant apprenticeships, coursework, accreditations etc.

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I am neither a plumber nor a welder but I am fairly certain you don't make $100k/yr at either without significant apprenticeships, coursework, accreditations etc.

One thing about trades... the side jobs are endless. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wow, okay man.  Thanks for being an a-hole.  Have a wonderful day.

You burdening other tax payers to pay your bills even though you can afford to pay them yourself and I'm the A-hole? I am having a wonderful day and a awesome life without reneging on my bills.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm surprised it took 3 pages.

I'm not surprised you agree with having the government pay your bills which you CAN afford to pay. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

You burdening other tax payers to pay your bills even though you can afford to pay them yourself and I'm the A-hole? I am having a wonderful day and a awesome life without reneging on my bills.

I'm not surprised you agree with having the government pay your bills which you CAN afford to pay. 

I paid 100% of my student loans, cupcake.  No, you cannot borrow money from me.

You're a real miserable prick even on a wonderful day.  I'd love to see you on a bad day.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I'll pay your bills if you go back to finishing school and learn to behave like a proper lady.

how about you say that to my face internet tough guy? You can't afford my bills. I pay more in taxes than you make. So go back to your trailer park and let the adults talk.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, T&C said:

One thing about trades... the side jobs are endless. 

Also people looking for free labor.  My father was a union bricklayer for almost 40 years, but was a jack of all trades type of guy.  I can’t remember too many weekends where he wasn’t helping someone remodel their kitchen or doing plumbing.  Always helping others 😂 

17 minutes ago, Westside said:

how about you say that to my face internet tough guy? You can't afford my bills. I pay more in taxes than you make. So go back to your trailer park and let the adults talk.

Wow, you must be fabulously middle class if you pay that much in taxes.  Everyone knows the truly wealthy pay very  little in taxes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Take your garbage to PPP.  

How is my take garbage? You obviously can pay your own student back but you refuse to do that.  Yet you choose to put it on the backs of taxpayers? Why? 

Do you feel entitled to be bailed out on a loan YOU signed and agreed to pay? My tak isn't garbage. Those who "choose" to be bailed out when they don't need to be is garbage.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The loan principle is probably paid off on all these loans... It's the usury, interest that's most likely being forgiven.  I got no problem with cutting the parasites off... The sucked enough blood money. 

Did anyone put a gun to their head and force them to sign?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Westside said:

Only ignorant people think that. 

Um, @Westside , I know this might not be the best time to ask, but I’ve had my eyes on this expensive bottle of Japanese bourbon at the liquor store.  

Even with the new “expendable” income due to my recent student loan forgiveness, I can bring myself to splurge.  Given that you’re so rich, would you be willing to buy it for me as a congratulatory gift?

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Um, @Westside , I know this might not be the best time to ask, but I’ve had my eyes on this expensive bottle of Japanese bourbon at the liquor store.  

Even with the new “expendable” income due to my recent student loan forgiveness, I can bring myself to splurge.  Given that you’re so rich, would you be willing to buy it for me as a congratulatory gift?

Get a job freeloader! 

1 minute ago, Westside said:

How is my take garbage? You obviously can pay your own student back but you refuse to do that.  Yet you choose to put it on the backs of taxpayers? Why? 

Do you feel entitled to be bailed out on a loan YOU signed and agreed to pay? My tak isn't garbage. Those who "choose" to be bailed out when they don't need to be is garbage.

OP is employed in the public school system. The kind of service that these programs incentivize is something we should be supporting, not making folks feel badly about. How is this materially different from the GI bill or subsequent iterations

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Westside said:

Get a job freeloader! 

season 13 GIF

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

OP is employed in the public school system. The kind of service that these programs incentivize is something we should be supporting, not making folks feel badly about. How is this materially different from the GI bill or subsequent iterations

Excellent point.  Thank you.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Psalm 37:21 "The wicked borrow and do not repay, but the righteous give generously."

Most loans are repaid more than what was borrowed.

Deuteronomy 23:19 - "Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury."

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

BINGO!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.