Bills hire new WR coach Adam Henry

Dablitzkrieg

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He has been good WR adjacent at the least, but how is he connected to Carolina?

Also as much as people seem to not like/be sick of the idea of OBJ here, he'd probably be very good here and if coming back from the injury somehow makes him more affordable this would be a great direction to go short term.

When is this organization gonna learn that injury prone players don’t get less injury prone with age? This would be awful signing but I won’t be shocked if they do this because McBeane loves old injury prone players. 

Any connection to Julio might as well! 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Thanks for the link and an easy to follow time line. He does move around! I admit that makes me curious. 

Everybody knows we need help on the OL and at WR.  Most of us think in terms of adding talent in free agency and the draft.  The Bills have added coaching talent with a new WR coach and a new Asst OL coach. I’ll be thrilled with any combination that leads to improved results. 

Me too! 

hey, btw who did the Bills hire as assistant o line coach? I missed the news of a new hiring for that position. I saw our current asst. OL coach (Ryan Wendell) is being hired by the rams but I hadn’t seen any news of a replacement yet.

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Me too! 

hey, btw who did the Bills hire as assistant o line coach? I missed the news of a new hiring for that position. I saw our current asst. OL coach (Ryan Wendell) is being hired by the rams but I hadn’t seen any news of a replacement yet.

I knew the last asst was leaving, but I don’t think I’ve seen a replacement named. I wonder what is happening behind the scenes with these moves. Did he want to be with the Rams, or did Kromer not come away impressed after a year of working with him? 

While we are at it, when we lost Poyer and Hyde at safety, the guys behind them struggled. Not shocking that we will have a new safeties coach too. The coaching shuffle is phase #1, followed by free agency then the draft. Praying for upgrades on all levels, including coaches capable of developing our guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's nice.  Coupla bros hanging at the SB.   With a guy like OBJ, where he to come to Buffalo, it would be better if his coach wasn't a buddy. OBJ needs adult supervision.

Enough of the Buddy crap already 
 ala Ken and Josh
Hope McBeanes do not fall into this trap they brought in with Von and his bs

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Thanks for the link and an easy to follow time line. He does move around! I admit that makes me curious. 

Everybody knows we need help on the OL and at WR.  Most of us think in terms of adding talent in free agency and the draft.  The Bills have added coaching talent with a new WR coach and a new Asst OL coach. I’ll be thrilled with any combination that leads to improved results. 

I id loathe the route running and lack of situational awareness from our WRS

(Josh scrambling/plays breaking down, not turning the head, and silly 4 deep routes that left no options)
The WRs need to be coached up for sure. Davis is a fine example to monitor

Okay caught up on this thread lol. Sorry so many opinions and comments  :) from me 

I'm not sure it's impossible that the Bills sign OBJ, but given the cap situation, it would be really tough, and would hamper the Bills' efforts to retain Poyer or Edmunds or both, not to mention ruining any effort to sign another meaningful free agent.  

Adam Henry sounds like a good hire regardless.  H'e got pleny on his resume.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Let's draft a fast receiver early on and stop the retreads. Need young bloods on rookie deals.  How Billsy would it be to sign OBJ, have him ready by about November only to get injured for the playoffs. 

Drafting has nothing to do with next year. We need stop gaps for next year because they haven’t been drafting WRs. 

OBJ’s contract is a mystery. I think it’ll be heavily incentive driven. Landry will be very cheap. Perfect option for us next year in the slot.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Many won’t like the idea….but OBJ + Landry would work for me.

- Diggs is buddies with both.

- Both likely want to prove a lot

- Landry is a nasty, physical blocker who can catch. All things the Bills desperately need.

- Landry said our new WR coach was like a father to him 

Diggs

OBJ

Landry & Shakir slot

Davis

draft pick

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Many won’t like the idea….but OBJ + Landry would work for me.

- Diggs is buddies with both.

- Both likely want to prove a lot

- Landry is a nasty, physical blocker who can catch. All things the Bills desperately need.

- Landry said our new WR coach was like a father to him 

Diggs

OBJ

Landry & Shakir slot

Davis

draft pick

That sounds………….expensive.

And they will both be 31 during next season. 

I think we will be younger and cheaper, for what it’s worth. Older and more expensive seems out of reach given our situation. 

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

not happy with Chad Hall or?

Well since Chad took a job elsewhere for next season I don't know if it matters whether they were happy with his work or not.  Seems Gabe hit a bump and his development stalled.  Maybe fresh eyes and coaching can get him going again.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Well since Chad took a job elsewhere for next season I don't know if it sitters whether they were happy with his work or not.  Seems Gabe hit a bump and his development stalled.  Maybe fresh eyes and coaching can get him going again.  

We have no idea if the Bills decided to not renew him or he left. Not sure we’ll ever know. The lack of comments from Bills WRs makes me think the team didn’t renew.

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Why ?
Not snarking over here. Sincere question

Chad Hall seemed decent till Dorsey. Why doe this guy improve our group ?

My $0.02.  Could be completely wrong.  History first:

In 2019, when Hall was promoted to WR coach, he had experienced WR John Brown, Cole Beasley and then Zay Jones and Isaiah McKenzie, who couldn't run routes at the time and was strictly a "gadget guy".  Brown could get taken away by physical coverage and Beasley could be bracketed; Daboll tried to compensate with Duke Williams and others in the playoffs but it wasn't enough

2020, Stefon Diggs, John Brown, Cole Beasley - very experienced group.  Gabe Davis excelled at blocking and started to see some routes, as did McKenzie.  All of the WR raved about Chad as a coach, and bought him a truck for Christmas.  Receivers did get taken away in the AFCCG

2021, Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley - again, very experienced group now with Gabe Davis really coming on and McKenzie showing up against man coverage.

2022, now we have Diggs and a much less experienced group who need to be coached up - Davis as the #2, McKenzie/Crowder as the slot guys, Hodgins, Gentry

The end result was bringing Brown and Beasley off the sofa.  Now, injuries to Crowder and Kumerow aren't Hall's fault.  But just maybe, he was too close to the "squad" to give them the hard coaching they needed at times - to run crisper routes (Davis), to do wet ball drills more if that's what they needed to catch better in cold, wet weather.    Davis and McKenzie both failed to take the expected step.   Why were they the guys we were counting on?  Did Hall go to the matt that they could get the job done, only to see them squib? 

And, it was a different dynamic with Diggs as the only established, high quality veteran.  Maybe that produced a dynamic that was harder for Hall to deal with constructively?  Was getting a gift console from McKenzie as "one of the squad" an indication of a coach who fell into the trap of being too close to the players?

I think it may very much have been a mutual decision for Hall to move on.  I think the Bills wanted a more experienced WR coach who they had more confidence in developing a rookie and some younger players while maintaining the respect of veteran guys.  Also, if Hall pounded the table for Gabe as #2 and McKenzie as his slot, the Bills may have lost a bit of confidence in his player personnel e v a l.

All speculation, but Henry has coached some pretty big names:

"Henry came to IU from the Dallas Cowboys and he brought some clout to the role in Bloomington.  He coached NFL Pro Bowlers Odell Beckham Jr., Anquan Boldin, Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Jarvis Landry, and Zach Miller.  Henry also coached Beckham and Landry at LSU."

I don't think there's a question that he's both a more experienced WR coach than Hall, and has developed some guys.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.