Singletary or Hines or neither?

Inigo Montoya

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Backs are loaded in this years draft we can find a bk starting in 4th rd. I love me some Sean Tucker from Cuse but I think he’ll go late 2nd/3rd rd. 

Rather take a later round swing at a bigger back. Started looking at Roshon Jonhnson from Texas. Converted QB to RB freshman year. 6'2" 223. 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Rather take a later round swing at a bigger back. Started looking at Roshon Jonhnson from Texas. Converted QB to RB freshman year. 6'2" 223. 🤔

Sean Tucker got nice size to him 5’10 210lbs he reminds me of Freddy Jack or Matt Forte but a lot more explosive. I love the kid he’s my favorite back in this draft. The Bills would be lucky to get him in the 3rd rd of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Cook isn't going anywhere.  He has looked better as the season progressed and still has three years left on his rookie contract and has a cap friendly hit of $1.3mm in 2023.  I don't think Beane is going to keep both Singletary and Hines.  It is going to be one or the other.

Nyheim's contract is not cheap, his cap hit in 2023 is $4.79mm, and in 2024 it is $5.48 

https://overthecap.com/player/nyheim-hines/6989

Singletary is an unrestricted free agent and according to Sportrac his projected free agent contract should be right around $5.5mm annually for three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/market-value/

Hines is great in the return game and has stand alone value in that respect.  He has more speed than Motor and is probably a better receiving back than Motor.  We haven't seen him carry the ball much.  In his five years in the league the most carries he's had in a season was 89 in 2020.  That year he averaged 4.3 yds per carry.  His career average is 3.9 yds per carry.  The most receptions Hines had in a season was 63 in both '18 and '20.  His career average yds per reception is 7.4 yds.  Across his career, Hines catch percentage is 77%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HineNy00.htm

Singletary had 177 carries this year and averaged 4.6 yds per carry.  He had 38 receptions this year with an average of 7.4 yds per reception.  The most receptions he's had was 40 in the '21 season.  Across Motor's career, his catch percentage is 75%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

The question is which back, Motor or Hines, compliments Cooks the best?  In Cook we have a speedy / receiving back.  That is the same skill set that Hines brings to the table, plus his return skills.  Does it make sense for the offense to have their two primary RBs with essentially the same skill set?  Also, are Cook and Hines able to soak up the 170 plus carries Singletary has a season?   Cooks has looked good running the ball but has a smaller frame.  Can we expect him to hold up carrying the ball 100+ times a year in the NFL?

Singletary's projected free agent contract isn't much more than what Hines is under contract for now.  What does Beane decide to do?  The problem is I don't think Beane can afford both.  Beane's last option is to release both of them and build around Cook with new faces.

Keep Cook and trade for a veteran guy who has SB victory experience, McCaffrey!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Keep Cook and trade for a veteran guy who has SB victory experience, McCaffrey!

But If that happens you wouldn't be able to go to any games. Doesn't McCaffrey have a restraining order on you???

☺️

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But If that happens you wouldn't be able to go to any games. Doesn't McCaffrey have a restraining order on you???

☺️

You know that commercial where the couple's aunt is staying over and is rooting through the fridge saying "expired, expired, EXPIRED!"??? That's me in my filing cabinet with restraining orders from players...:wub:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Singletary is one of my favorite players.  I love the shiftiness and hard running for his size, but if any team offers him a substantial amount, Bills will have to let him leave.  They have to be very careful with how the spend cap money now that Allen’s big contract is kicking in.

He does give it his all. He is smart and catches balls, picks up blitzes well.
No Fred Jackson but who is ?
it will be about money. obviously

19 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

But then you are spending like 6 million or so on the position. In that case I would rather just sign a Miles Sanders, David Montgomery type in that 6-8 million range. Honestly I’d cut down Hines’s pay and replace Devin with a rookie.

3.5 does make some sense though. That was what the range was thats they were going to pay for McKittrick. BTW they got extremely lucky there. Washington did the Bills a favor. He totally sucked this year. No touchdowns. 95 yards rushing, 173 receiving. Got hurt. Might be done as it is his second serious neck injury and he is probably going to get cut. Again, exhibit 6,734 why you don’t pay running backs unless they are elite. After the elite its all the same. 

I think Sanders and Montgomery would probably cost you more than 6 million and the added benefit of Singletary/Hines combo at 6 million over a single back at around that range would be that you get an added benefit of having Hines as a returner and you don’t have to burn a mid round pick that could be used for depth or development elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Sanders and Montgomery would probably cost you more than 6 million and the added benefit of Singletary/Hines combo at 6 million over a single back at around that range would be that you get an added benefit of having Hines as a returner and you don’t have to burn a mid round pick that could be used for depth or development elsewhere.

Stop making sense.

To me this boils down to what are we going to see from James Cook next year

Does James Cook find a way to pack on an extra 10 pounds and be able to run between the tackles effectively and do it more often than he did in college?

Hines is also not that guy that’s going to consistently run between the tackles

I’m not saying, go out and spend big money on some prize, free agent running back we can’t afford to do that. Be perfectly honest I would not be against bringing Duke Johnson back again next year who did well every time he got an opportunity.

Fixing the run, blocking, would go along way to more consistency and running the ball which we need but I would not be against a banger on the roster with some size

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Yep I feel you, but I just like quality over quantity. That is why we are home right now, lack of quality. 

16 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

He does give it his all. He is smart and catches balls, picks up blitzes well.
No Fred Jackson but who is ?
it will be about money. obviously

This RB class is simply too good not to upgrade Singletary…he’s a nice guy who plays hard, but we can do much better…👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Cook isn't going anywhere.  He has looked better as the season progressed and still has three years left on his rookie contract and has a cap friendly hit of $1.3mm in 2023.  I don't think Beane is going to keep both Singletary and Hines.  It is going to be one or the other.

Nyheim's contract is not cheap, his cap hit in 2023 is $4.79mm, and in 2024 it is $5.48 

https://overthecap.com/player/nyheim-hines/6989

Singletary is an unrestricted free agent and according to Sportrac his projected free agent contract should be right around $5.5mm annually for three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/market-value/

Hines is great in the return game and has stand alone value in that respect.  He has more speed than Motor and is probably a better receiving back than Motor.  We haven't seen him carry the ball much.  In his five years in the league the most carries he's had in a season was 89 in 2020.  That year he averaged 4.3 yds per carry.  His career average is 3.9 yds per carry.  The most receptions Hines had in a season was 63 in both '18 and '20.  His career average yds per reception is 7.4 yds.  Across his career, Hines catch percentage is 77%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HineNy00.htm

Singletary had 177 carries this year and averaged 4.6 yds per carry.  He had 38 receptions this year with an average of 7.4 yds per reception.  The most receptions he's had was 40 in the '21 season.  Across Motor's career, his catch percentage is 75%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

The question is which back, Motor or Hines, compliments Cooks the best?  In Cook we have a speedy / receiving back.  That is the same skill set that Hines brings to the table, plus his return skills.  Does it make sense for the offense to have their two primary RBs with essentially the same skill set?  Also, are Cook and Hines able to soak up the 170 plus carries Singletary has a season?   Cooks has looked good running the ball but has a smaller frame.  Can we expect him to hold up carrying the ball 100+ times a year in the NFL?

Singletary's projected free agent contract isn't much more than what Hines is under contract for now.  What does Beane decide to do?  The problem is I don't think Beane can afford both.  Beane's last option is to release both of them and build around Cook with new faces.

Or...let Singletary walk and DRAFT a back maybe a bigger,power runner.

I'm greedy.  I want both back.

But if Hines is under contract next year, he's the guy.

Singletary MAY want to test the market, and I'd bring him back if we can be reasonably competitive in negotiations.  Lot's of talent in the draft, plus we have some good depth to step up.

7 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I would like both back as well and I'm sure this will shock a few, I would look at Hines as a replacement for McKenzie and not as a replacement for Singletary. 😱😱. He can run the gadget plays, can play slot if needed, can line up in the backfield, plus both KR/P returns.

its a thought worth considering. As long as Bills have an answer to slot beyond Beasley .

Hines surely has more to give than Dorsey has made use of  IMHO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.