Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I do not expect us to both trade for Hopkins and draft a 1st round WR, I think your "why" here is incorrect.  It would be absolutely ideal to trade for Hopkins and also draft a first round WR.  Hopkins is more of a 2 year plan if we trade for him, and Diggs is only 6 months younger.  Those guys are not here for "years to come", in fact, I don't expect Diggs to be here more than 2 to 3 more years between age and contract size, and I would think the same for Hopkins.  Any young WR we took now would be groomed to take over as WR1 in the next 2-3 seasons, which is about the time WR's really start reaching their peak most often anyway.  

However, there is no way we trade for Hopkins and draft a WR in round 1 because we can't afford to invest that much into the position right now.  We have too many other needs to do both.  

If there is any chance we are still considering a Hopkins trade, I have a feeling Beane wants to see how the draft falls first.  If the reports are true that they love Addison, I have no doubt they would prefer to make a trade that landed them him with his rookie price for 5 years than make a big trade for Hopkins costing them money and draft capital for say 2 years.  Not to mention the increased risks with injury as players age.  

If the board falls in a way where Beane misses out on one of the WR's he covets, then I think he might take another look at Hopkins potentially and see if he can get a deal there he is comfortable with.  

I'm hoping the scenario is along the lines of what you're thinking.  If possible get Addison, if he makes it into the 20s, maybe what a 3rd would cost for the move up.  If not spend the third on DHop.

And while I don't think it is reasonable to go DHop and 1st round WR.  There could be a small chance the FO could go DHop and one of those good TEs.  That would be a great haul.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm hoping the scenario is along the lines of what you're thinking.  If possible get Addison, if he makes it into the 20s, maybe what a 3rd would cost for the move up.  If not spend the third on DHop.

And while I don't think it is reasonable to go DHop and 1st round WR.  There could be a small chance the FO could go DHop and one of those good TEs.  That would be a great haul.

This right here! So many ways to attack, control the clock, and score more points! I would absolutely love that scenario playing out. Hopkins and one of the top TEs??? Sign me up!

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

This right here! So many ways to attack, control the clock, and score more points! I would absolutely love that scenario playing out. Hopkins and one of the top TEs??? Sign me up!

I love the idea of Hopkins and one of the top TEs. The question of how to pay for the enormous amount of cap Diggs and Hopkins would be taking is not a nugatory consideration however and I personally don't see how it happens unless somehow the cap cost on Hopkins is reduced more than seems possible.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I love the idea of Hopkins and one of the top TEs. The question of how to pay for the enormous amount of cap Diggs and Hopkins would be taking is not a nugatory consideration however and I personally don't see how it happens unless somehow the cap cost on Hopkins is reduced more than seems possible.

Were it to happen it would definitely be something extremely slick to pull off, no doubt.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The question (as it has always been): how would they fit $35M over next 2 years under cap for an aging, recently injured, recently suspended for ‘roids superstar.

Diggs’ cap hit next year is (I think) $28M which is untenable.  They will either have to extend him or cut him.   Neither good options and trade for Hopkins just compounds the cap issue.

I dont think there has ever been a scenario though where we trade for Hopkins and keep his existing contract.  Any acquisition of Hopkins would include some sort of reworked deal and also likely include AZ eating some of his salary.  

The question (as it has always been): how would they fit $35M over next 2 years under cap for an aging, recently injured, recently suspended for ‘roids superstar.

Diggs’ cap hit next year is (I think) $28M which is untenable.  They will either have to extend him or cut him.   Neither good options and trade for Hopkins just compounds the cap issue.

Cut Diggs?  Never happening.  The dead cap is more than his cap hit???

You re-work his contract. Give him an extra year so it's a 3 year deal + add void years + convert his base salary and his cap hit for this season becomes very low

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

You re-work his contract. Give him an extra year so it's a 3 year deal + add void years + convert his base salary and his cap hit for this season becomes very low

Whatever it takes, and if it doesn’t cost us that much, let’s make it happen because he’s the type of player that gets us to a Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

What does that do to next year and the year after? I get that one can somehow make it work for this year. How much of a handicap is it for future years, because I don't want to acquire a player if it means tons of dead cap in a couple of years. 

Pretty much to the point....and it's nothing new...but some people don't want to confront the realities of this...and these same points are also why I said 100's of pages ago that KC was also not in on D hop.  (there are a TON of Chiefs fans and podcasters who can't come to terms with this stuff either)

https://twitter.com/sumersports/status/1648397810352398355?s=20

4 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Pretty much to the point....and it's nothing new...but some people don't want to confront the realities of this...and these same points are also why I said 100's of pages ago that KC was also not in on D hop.  (there are a TON of Chiefs fans and podcasters who can't come to terms with this stuff either)

https://twitter.com/sumersports/status/1648397810352398355?s=20

It's a good article. Thanks.

50 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think the plan would probably entail moving Oliver which opens up $10M.   

Also restructure DHop contract-which is done by extending the years of the contract (but they get more upfront - signing bonus and guarantees - thanks Terry).

Giving up Edmunds and Oliver and then picking DHop makes it a long shot that the Bills would go offense early in the draft.  But we can hope. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think the plan would probably entail moving Oliver which opens up $10M.   

Also restructure DHop contract-which is done by extending the years of the contract (but they get more upfront - signing bonus and guarantees - thanks Terry).

Giving up Edmunds and Oliver and then picking DHop makes it a long shot that the Bills would go offense early in the draft.  But we can hope. 

I know he's a different player from Oliver, which quite a few folks would applaud in any event, but I have a feeling if somehow this move was made they might opt for Mazi Smith early. 

The Steelers are only paying 5M of Robinsons 15M contract.  Maybe we could finagle that with AZ.  

it’ll be a shame if a team ends up trading a 3rd rd (or worse) pick for Hopkins while paying only 5-10M of his salary.  We should be able to make that happen

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

DHop will be a Bill - after June 1st. JMO.

Why June 1? Arizona can release him now with a June 1 designation. 

I’m still thinking there’s a good chance we get him, likely during the draft. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont think there has ever been a scenario though where we trade for Hopkins and keep his existing contract.  Any acquisition of Hopkins would include some sort of reworked deal and also likely include AZ eating some of his salary.  

Of course, but how are you going to "rework" his contract?  The only option is to extend it for more years and pay him up front.  For example, he is due $19.5M next year and 14.5M the next - $35M over next two years.  If you pay him that $35M today, you can amortize the that $35M over two year ==> $17.5M cap hit in 2023 and also in 2024.  If you want to extend his contract and pay him another, say, $14M for 2025 and pay all of it upfront ($49M), then you can amortize that whole amount across 3 years ==> $16.3M cap hit per year.

Let's use the second example and recognize that he will be 31 years old this June, so by June 2025 he will be 33.  Let's do that deal for $16.3M/year cap hit ($49M upfront).  Now, he decides to retire after 2023 and now you're stuck for the balance of that cap hit next year.

I don't see a prudent way to rework the contract and not have $15+M cap hit per year.

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

DHop will be a Bill - after June 1st. JMO.

Have a feeling AZ plays ball during the draft and Beane probably told them “hey if our guy isn’t there at 27, we'll move down to 34 for Hopkins and you guys eating a majority of this years contract” 

💥 done

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Have a feeling AZ plays ball during the draft and Beane probably told them “hey if our guy isn’t there at 27, we'll move down to 34 for Hopkins and you guys eating a majority of this years contract” 

💥 done

Arizona is giving us 34, Hopkins and paying most of this years contract for pick 27?

Sorry man, but your feeling is not happening. 

• Eyeroll 1