Benford activated from IR

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not totally sure about that.  I would say it's more like "all things being equal, or almost equal" McDermott goes with experience/knowledge.

I know the Bills DB are expected to work in a pretty complicated system.

It’s been every position not just DBs. Dline, RBs and WRs. RB is the easiest position in the league to go from college to NFL, except in Buffalo. 

If it’s close you go with the guy who’s gonna give you more in the long run. 

Edited by BananaB

35 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Have you been living under a rock? All our young rookies hardly see the field, it’s not because the other players are better it’s because McDermott values experience over talent. Not a team in the league gets less out of their rookies than Buffalo. 

Again, the rookies have to show they belong on the field. Edmunds was a starter off the bus. Same with Tre White and Groot. If you think the coaches believe that Elam gives them a better chance to win than Dane Jackson, but still aren’t playing him because he’s a rookie, you’re delusional. 

41 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Murphy over Lawson

Sanders over Davis

Gore over Singletary 

The latter players you mentioned became more deserving over time, but at the time, the team believed the veteran gave them a better chance to win. I don’t know why this is so difficult to grasp. The coaching staff doesn’t believe that Elam is one of their better corners right now and that’s why his involvement hasn’t been to the level we thought we were getting out of a first round corner. 

Edited by JayBaller10

12 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Again, the rookies have to show they belong on the field. Edmunds was a starter off the bus. Same with Tre White and Groot. If you think the coaches believe that Elam gives them a better chance to win than Dane Jackson, but still aren’t playing him, you’re delusional. 

The latter players you mentioned became more deserving over time, but at the time, the team believed the veteran gave them a better chance to win. I don’t know why this is so difficult to grasp. The coaching staff doesn’t believe that Elam is one of their better corners right now and that’s why his involvement hasn’t been to the level we thought we were getting out of a first round corner. 

That’s the problem. We are drafting these guys early expecting them to make and impact but they can’t because the coaching staff sticks with the veteran who is struggling to do the job himself. They are getting better over time because they are slowly getting more time one the field. Get them more time on the field early and you’ll see faster return in their development. 

Edited by BananaB

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

That’s the problem. We are drafting these guys early expecting them to make and impact but they can’t because the coaching staff sticks with the veteran who is struggling to do the job himself. They are getting better over time because they are slowly getting more time one the field. Get them more time on the field early and you’ll see faster return in their development. 

Look, I don’t disagree that I’d rather have Elam on the field than Dane Jackson. If a player is gonna get burnt, I’d rather it be the one with the higher upside and more investment. If Sauce Gardner was the pick rather than Elam, I have no doubt he’d be on the field ahead of Dane Jackson. The team isn’t reluctant to play rookies, but that rookie has to earn his time on the field. The staff has to believe in him. Elam’s playing time or lack thereof thus far suggests the staff doesn’t think he’s ready yet. It has little to do with his rookie status keeping him off the field.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Look, I don’t disagree that I’d rather have Elam on the field than Dane Jackson. If a player is gonna get burnt, I’d rather it be the one with the higher upside and more investment. If Sauce Gardner was the pick rather than Elam, I have no doubt he’d be on the field ahead of Dane Jackson. The team isn’t reluctant to play rookies, but that rookie has to earn his time on the field. The staff has to believe in him. Elam’s playing time or lack thereof thus far suggests the staff doesn’t think he’s ready yet. It has little to do with his rookie status keeping him off the field.

Tremaine and Tre were drafting during a rebuilding stage. Since then has there been any rookies who haven’t been on and off the field, or waiting behind a mediocre veteran? Rousseau probably the only guy I can think of. 

It’s common with Buffalo, teams find our weakness and go after it. It’s never a rookie that’s the problem it’s the mediocre vet they put on the field above him because he has more experience. The way Dane has played the last half of the season, with guys getting healthy he shouldn’t be on the field. 

Edited by BananaB

15 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Tremaine and Tre were drafting during a rebuilding stage. Since then has there been any rookies who haven’t been on and off the field, or waiting behind a mediocre veteran? Rousseau probably the only guy I can think of. 

It’s common with Buffalo, teams find our weakness and go after it. It’s never a rookie that’s the problem it’s the mediocre vet they put on the field above him because he has more experience. The way Dane has played the last half of the season, with guys getting healthy he shouldn’t be on the field. 

There’s a ton of politics in sports, but there is one constant, no matter the league: if you’re an exceptional player, you’ll play. Doesn’t matter what background you are, what race, or how many years you have in the pros, if you can play, you’ll play.

It’s increasingly difficult to find players at the end of each round who are able to step in and immediately help a team like the Bills. They’re out there, but there’s a bit of luck involved in hitting on them. We haven’t drafted any true blue chippers since Allen. Rousseau may prove to be one, it’s still early, but it’s not like we’re drafting Justin Jeffersons, Jonathan Taylors, and Micah Parson caliber players only to play vets ahead of them because they’re more experienced. The staff - right now - believes Dane Jackson gives them a better chance to win than Elam. That’s all there is to it, no matter how much we dislike the situation. Elam has a say in it, of course. He just has to be better.

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Again, the rookies have to show they belong on the field. Edmunds was a starter off the bus. Same with Tre White and Groot. If you think the coaches believe that Elam gives them a better chance to win than Dane Jackson, but still aren’t playing him because he’s a rookie, you’re delusional. 

Except in every case I presented the younger player was the better player.  Why is it so difficult to grasp the coaching staff may be making the wrong decision who to play?  You asked for more examples and I gave you three.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Except in every case I presented the younger player was the better player.  Why is it so difficult to grasp the coaching staff may be making the wrong decision who to play?  You asked for more examples and I gave you three.  

Sure, the coaches are purposely playing inferior players because… well… I don’t know, their jobs and livelihoods aren’t based on wins and losses. C’mon man. The younger player wasn’t the better player at that time. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp. The veteran knows how to execute what is asked of them better, hence why they’re on the field. I didn’t say they weren’t wrong to keep Dane Jackson out on the field rather than go with Elam. It’s clear, like those younger players you referenced, the coaches trust that Dane will do what is asked of him more consistently than Elam will. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Are we ever going to see Marlowe at safety?

I hope he is active tomorrow and plays so we can see what we have in the '23 version of him with real playing time.

I still suspect Hyde makes a comeback in a few weeks. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Sure, the coaches are purposely playing inferior players because… well… I don’t know, their jobs and livelihoods aren’t based on wins and losses. C’mon man. The younger player wasn’t the better player at that time. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp. The veteran knows how to execute what is asked of them better, hence why they’re on the field. I didn’t say they weren’t wrong to keep Dane Jackson out on the field rather than go with Elam. It’s clear, like those younger players you referenced, the coaches trust that Dane will do what is asked of him more consistently than Elam will. 

Of course they weren't doing it on purpose. They were doing it by mistake.  Bates sat for how many years and only because of injury did he finally get to start.  Teller traded. And yes Davis was better than Sanders, yes, Lawson was better than Murphy, and yes Singletary was better than Gore.  In every case they chose the wrong guy because presumably they wanted experience over a younger guy.  

Elam is more physically gifted than Jackson.  Just because they want a veteran that may not make more mistakes, still doe not mean it is the correct decision.

Miami game this year. Instead of sliding Bates over to C, they played VanRoten when Morse went down. Bad decision.  When Morse had the concussion, they started Bates and the O-line was mostly ok.  They learned from their mistakes.  

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Of course they weren't doing it on purpose. They were doing it by mistake.  Bates sat for how many years and only because of injury did he finally get to start.  Teller traded. And yes Davis was better than Sanders, yes, Lawson was better than Murphy, and yes Singletary was better than Gore.  In every case they chose the wrong guy because presumably they wanted experience over a younger guy.  

Elam is more physically gifted than Jackson.  Just because they want a veteran that may not make more mistakes, still doe not mean it is the correct decision.

Miami game this year. Instead of sliding Bates over to C, they played VanRoten when Morse went down. Bad decision.  When Morse had the concussion, they started Bates and the O-line was mostly ok.  They learned from their mistakes.  

I already addressed Bates and Teller - both were bad evaluations by the coaching staff. Many people sitting on their couch wanted Bates to get more PT while I never wanted to see Teller go. I liked what I saw in his first start against the Jets I believe it was.

Anyway, you - as well as I and the rest of TBD - can sit on our couches without being in the meeting rooms, on the field, around the players day after day, down after down, and claim this rookie is better than this veteran, yet the coaches don’t echo your(our) thoughts. Their number one priority is to win and based on the wealth of information they have that we aren’t privy to, they make informed decisions based on who gives the team the best chance to win. I could nitpick your conclusions about each player based on the amount of information available to you at the time, but I already know it pales in comparison to our coaching staff, so why bother. 

My original point, which has never wavered, still stands - the coaches do not believe that Elam is one of the team’s best corners right now and that’s reflected in his lack of playing time. His rookie status doesn’t carry nearly the amount of weight you and Banana seem to think it does. If he was a better player he would’ve supplanted Dane Jackson long ago. Period and end of story. 

57 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You are right. They’ve done it numerous times and at times it seems very stubborn. McD is definitely not someone who takes risks. 

I do support the benching of players that fumble though. He also specifically signed Hines to eliminate the risk of McKenzie ever fumbling another kick return. That was a disaster waiting to happen. That’s smart preemptive coaching. 

He basically eliminates the possible areas where we could choke a game/title away. Some I support, some not.

Edited by Governor

The coaching staff were happy for Benford to take the field so not sure whether it’s a case of preferring experience to a rookie when it comes to Elam. I think more likely something happening in training or behind the scenes to make them doubt that he is ready.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, BananaB said:

Peterman over Allen

Old man Gore getting more carries than Singletary. 

Sanders over Gabe for most of last season

Lil Dirty still starting at slot over Shakir

Jackson getting beat on a regular basis while Elam sits on the bench. 

Moss over Cook early in the season

All valid and really good list!

Off the top of my head you can add in Tolbert over all the RBs.

Feliciano and other Oline over younger Olinemen like Bates and Boetteger.

Same on the Dline with Oliver, Epenesa and more vs the journeymen DL for rotation purposes we signed to reasonably hefty deals (we could get out of quickly) with little production.

We have a bunch of safeties now and I’m even fine with sitting Oyer today to ensure he’s good for the playoffs. He will be desperately needed next week and beyond.

Benford can be worked in slowly as we have Tre, Elam, and Dane.  This will be a point of depth and we still have Hyde under contract next year.

I certainly hope we can find some type of bridge contract for Poyer so maybe three years, with one voidable if needed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.