Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

I’m amazed at the level of speculation this has generated. I don’t think any of this is going to happen. The game will be a no contest and win percentage will determine seeding. All this talk of neutral sites and what not seems pulled out of thin air. I don’t see any of that actually happening. The chiefs seem poised to back into the 1 seed unless the raiders can pull of an all time upset.

Bills should rest starters. It's been a long week. NE wins and then we play them for real next week which is the equivalent to a bye week

Edit - Nope I'm wrong that would make Bengals #2 seed

Edited by KDIGGZ

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bills should rest starters. It's been a long week. NE wins and then we play them for real next week which is the equivalent to a bye week

Really depends on any announcements / outcome of Saturday's game. 

Also a reason you play your starters in our case could be to get the nerves / anxiety / stress out of their system before a playoff game

Edited by Warriorspikes51

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

If the Bills lose to NE and the Bengals beat Baltimore, the Bengals would be the #2 and play New England.  Bills would host the Ravens.

Edited by BLeonard
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Buffalo vs KC in the AFC Champions - played in Cincinnati.  

I'm not sure I want that...we talk about the Lions field having "bad mojo", but what about Cincinnati?  It's been where some of the most horrific things we have seen in sports have occurred...

Umpire John McSherry collapses and dies from Heart Attack on Opening Day during Reds game(baseball)  

Steelers LB Ryan Shazier paralyzed

Tua's Fencing posture

Damar's Cardiac Arrest

If there is one place I don't want to play that game it's in Cincinnati.  Starting to think that area has bad mojo for sports.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I'm not sure I want that...we talk about the Lions field having "bad mojo", but what about Cincinnati?  It's been where some of the most horrific things we have seen in sports have occurred...

Umpire John McSherry collapses and dies from Heart Attack on Opening Day during Reds game(baseball)  

Steelers LB Ryan Shazier paralyzed

Tua's Fencing posture

Damar's Cardiac Arrest

If there is one place I don't want to play that game it's in Cincinnati.  Starting to think that area has bad mojo for sports.

I forgot Tua's fencing posture was at the Jungle. It's seen two frightening events this year.

Miami is most likely starting their 3rd string QB on Sunday so hopefully they lose. That would put either NE or Pitt in. Whoever plays those teams is almost equivalent to a bye. And if it's the Ravens without Lamar or a gimpy Lamar then that's not too bad either. So either way Bills and Bengals should be ok.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:46 PM, BigDingus said:

A weird option that would make the NFL more money & even make another fanbase happy - allow a theoretical 8th seed for the AFC, no team gets a BYE, and all 8 teams square off WC weekend. 

Sure, the Chiefs lose their BYE, but they just as easily could've lost it to the Bengals or Bills depending on how the season played out anyway. All 3 teams are forfeiting their chance at a BYE, while also giving another fanbase a chance to participate in the post season. Plus, the NFL gets another game & more revenue from it.

Obviously, this won't happen, but it at least screws over everyone equally & has a bit of upside for another team.

Hey look, other people are now suggesting this too! 😁

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Doesn’t work out then you would have 3 AFC teams left.

4/7 - winner

5/6 - winner

Bills, Cincinnati, and KC - now you have 5 teams after week 1 - so in your listed scenario KC got a second bye

Bills / 4/7 winner - Team 1

Cincinnati/ 5/6 winner - Tesm 2

KC Team 3

So does KC get a 3rd bye?

Yeah didn't go through the numbers for the second week. :doh:  But it sounded good!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

I think journalists reported that the NFL were considering this earlier. I responded I felt smug after suggesting it before.

I didn't realize journalists were reporting the NFL were taking that into consideration! I honestly think that'd be the least bad option out of all the bad options.

Because out of all options, at least this one has the side benefit of A) making another fanbase happy & B) making the NFL more money by holding another game

Just now, BigDingus said:

I didn't realize journalists were reporting the NFL were taking that into consideration! I honestly think that'd be the least bad option out of all the bad options.

Because out of all options, at least this one has the side benefit of A) making another fanbase happy & B) making the NFL more money by holding another game

And taking away some of the strength of the first seed as well.

The second rumour is they will either ask the first seed to choose between a bye or home field advantage, and the second seed will get the other. This is obviously if they stick to a seven team play off process. The final rumour is should two teams meet where Monday's potential no contest has an impact on seedings, then that game will be played on a neutral field.

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

Chiefs deriving any benefit from this is gross, but with no appetite to restart that game it unfortunately is what it is. 

So should the Chiefs be penalized for something they had nothing to do with.  Don't think there's a solution out there that won't benefit or penalize some team.

48 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

And taking away some of the strength of the first seed as well.

The second rumour is they will either ask the first seed to choose between a bye or home field advantage, and the second seed will get the other. This is obviously if they stick to a seven team play off process. The final rumour is should two teams meet where Monday's potential no contest has an impact on seedings, then that game will be played on a neutral field.

Wouldn't you always take the BYE in that situation though? Knowing that if you get paired against the Bills it'd be played at a neutral site anyway, why not just take the BYE, get a free home game in round 2, then play round 3 at a neutral site (given you win round 2)?

10 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Wouldn't you always take the BYE in that situation though? Knowing that if you get paired against the Bills it'd be played at a neutral site anyway, why not just take the BYE, get a free home game in round 2, then play round 3 at a neutral site (given you win round 2)?

It's an either/or option. They'll either split HFA and the bye OR ask for the AFCCG to be played on a neutral field if circumstances dictate. Not both.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.