TNF- Jaguars @ Jets

T&C

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think people presume Gabe has regressed. He hasn't. He is having a career year in every category except catch % which is down 1% on last year but as you say has been broadly consistent his three years in the league. What I think people were hoping for was more of a jump from Gabe as the full time #2 into the sort of Tee Higgins type #1B. That hasn't happened. But he is still a serviceable #2. 

He has more yards and more touchdowns than Adam Thielen and Mike Williams just for two examples. Think people would be pretty happy with those guys as their #2 options. The Eagles, Dolphins and Bengals are probably the exceptions at the moment because in Tee, Waddle and Devonta Smith they have highly drafted guys (basically all 1st rounders... Tee was #33) on rookie deals as their #1Bs who were all the #1 on their team their rookie year before another guy arrived. 

It is legit to say I am slightly disappointed in Gabe myself this year I was hoping for more of a step too and I think now I'd rather let someone else pay him after next year because I think serviceable #2 probably is his ceiling. But we still found a serviceable #2 NFL receiver in round 4 of the draft. That's a good outcome. 

Tee Higgins should probably be the comp because the Bengals are close to the Bills run/pass splits, albeit with a much better rush attack. Davis is pretty clearly the inferior option compared to him. Thielen is worse than Davis but it should be noted that Mike Williams is Chargers third option (borderline 4th) in the pass game behind Ekeler, whereas Davis is our second option.

Overall Davis is a low end #2 option when looking at his peers and considering available targets in this offense, specifically to wideouts.

Just now, RiotAct said:

yep they control their own destiny over the titans.

Wow. The Tannehill injury obviously has a big part in that, but what a turnaround. They've had some big wins this year.

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Tee Higgins should probably be the comp because the Bengals are close to the Bills run/pass splits, albeit with a much better rush attack. Davis is pretty clearly the inferior option compared to him. Thielen is worse than Davis but it should be noted that Mike Williams is Chargers third option (borderline 4th) in the pass game behind Ekeler, whereas Davis is our second option.

Overall Davis is a low end #2 option when looking at his peers and considering available targets in this offense, specifically to wideouts.

Yes he is clearly inferior to Tee, no question. Tee is one of the three who I call a genuine #1B (there may be others they were just the three that came instantly to mind). He could be a #1 on teams without an issue. I think with Mike Williams there is some similarity to Gabe but some important differences too. He has also played a couple of games fewer this year which affects the numbers. The similarity I see is neither are ever going to be great separators. I think the fact that Josh Palmer seems to have passed him in terms of Herbert's favoured targets in part does speak to the issues he has had getting open. Williams has better hands than Gabe but his hands can be spotty too. This is one of his better years but in 2021 drops were an issue for Williams.

I don't know where the distinction between serviceable and "low end" is. It may be semantics but even if it isn't it isn't really a distinction worth arguing about. The end result of both I think is that Gabe isn't a guy you pay when you have other guys needing to get money. I kind of feel that way about Williams too except for the fact the Chargers still had 3 years of cost controlled Justin Herbert and they aligned the Williams deal with that. If the big cap hits were one year from kicking in on Herbert I think they'd have let Williams walk. If you have a top end QB you only pay two receivers big money if you genuinely have a true #1A and a #1B. 

16 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

yep they control their own destiny over the titans.

They both do at this point. They play week 18. If they both keep winning that is a "win and in" game. 

Edited by GunnerBill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.