Interesting Diggs Split Stat from The Athletic

inthebuff

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

With all respect, I think that's a mistaken hope.

Diggs was "fed" the ball against Detroit.  He wound up with 8 catches on 15 targets or 53% catch

Diggs needs to get the ball when he's open.   If Josh has time, Diggs will usually work his way open.  He's very good.

But especially when the OL isn't holding up against the pass rush du jour, we need to do more of what we did vs. Miami: spread the ball around to other targets.  Take the quick shots.  Then when the defense is like "oh, we're being nibbled to death, we need to stop it", throw to Diggs.

Nate Geary:

Capture.JPG

And Diggs needs to stop getting visibly pissy on the field and throwing his helmet (IMO) when someone else is targeted and he thinks it should be him.  He doesn't know the timing, he doesn't know what Josh is seeing, he's putting a lot of pressure on his QB.  Contrary to what people say, this is far from saying "I was open, throw to me, I'll make you right" on the sideline or "I Got You" in the huddle.

The above didn't stop Diggs from getting his targets BTW, he got just as many. 

Looking at that - why aren’t we attacking the middle

of the field 

I notice Diggs taking himself off the field numerous times after receptions. Even short ones. I imagine knowing the type of player he is that he exerts tremendous energy at all times and needs breathers but I see him do this quite often (more so than other #1’s on other teams).

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fair point with Allen.  Williams missed 3.  Neither is in Diggs's stratum now.   Diggs/Davis is a solid combo.  The latter may crest 1000 yards this season---750 now on only 42 catches.

Williams missed 4 and played 9% of the snaps in a 5th. That is a third of the season missed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

I notice Diggs taking himself off the field numerous times after receptions. Even short ones. I imagine knowing the type of player he is that he exerts tremendous energy at all times and needs breathers but I see him do this quite often (more so than other #1’s on other teams).

How much you wanna bet if we dig into the snaps.. that Diggs plays a higher a percentage of plays than most #1s?

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Diggs needs to stop getting visibly pissy on the field and throwing his helmet (IMO) when someone else is targeted and he thinks it should be him.  He doesn't know the timing, he doesn't know what Josh is seeing, he's putting a lot of pressure on his QB.  

I agree, that is a bit concerning.  But I think it's most noticeable from Diggs when we're losing.  It would be worse if he pouted when we were winning.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

3 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Question: how do you tell it's him taking himself off the field, and not a signal from sideline or a word from another player as substitutions are made?

Diggs was the field almost every play.  86% of the snaps vs. the Dolphins.  He was not on the field for a whole 11 snaps out of 78 snaps.

I don't think those 11 snaps were "numerous times after receptions".  I think for the most part, they're dictated by the play and the personnel package it requires - for example a heavier set with 1 RB 2 TE or 2 RB 1 TE, where we only have 2 WR on the field (even then, the 2 WR may include Diggs more often than not).  But sometimes they want Davis and a slot or gadget guy, or (when he was active) Davis and Shakir.

I would love to have a source for the personnel sets the Bills use but I'm too cheap to pay for SIS or the like.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

How much you wanna bet if we dig into the snaps.. that Diggs plays a higher a percentage of plays than most #1s?

Diggs overall on the season to date, 78% of the snaps.  That's lower than last year or 2020, when he was on the field 89%.  Varies game by game from 64% to 95%.

Varies. 

Justin Jefferson on the field, 96% of the snaps.  Career high, previously 82%, 89%

Tyreek Hill 76% of the snaps

A. St Brown 78%

Davante Adams 96%, prev with GB 85%

Michael Pittman 94%, prev 78%, 88%

It varies and obviously some of the top guys are on the field more, but some about the same amount.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Question: how do you tell it's him taking himself off the field, and not a signal from sideline or a word from another player as substitutions are made?

Diggs was the field almost every play.  86% of the snaps vs. the Dolphins.  He was not on the field for a whole 11 snaps out of 78 snaps.

I don't think those 11 snaps were "numerous times after receptions".  I think for the most part, they're dictated by the play and the personnel package it requires - for example a heavier set with 1 RB 2 TE or 2 RB 1 TE, where we only have 2 WR on the field (even then, the 2 WR may include Diggs more often than not).  But sometimes they want Davis and a slot or gadget guy, or (when he was active) Davis and Shakir.

I would love to have a source for the personnel sets the Bills use but I'm too cheap to pay for SIS or the like.

Of course I could be wrong but I see him get up and signal to the sideline that he wants to come out. It seems obvious to me but I could be wrong. I wouldn’t make a statement like that unless I saw something that looked strongly like that to me.

Just now, Toledo Bill said:

Of course I could be wrong but I see him get up and signal to the sideline that he wants to come out. It seems obvious to me but I could be wrong. I wouldn’t make a statement like that unless I saw something that looked strongly like that to me.

Also, I did not mean to insinuate that it was every time in the Dolphins game, I meant that I have seen it numerous times throughout the season. Thanks.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Malazan said:

That wasn’t my point. Just that I see him wave to the sideline to take himself out quite a bit after receptions. I just don’t see a lot of other #1’s do that. It is something I have noticed this year and just am curious about if anyone had any insight, not questioning his percentage of snaps.

The offense will be much harder to stop if Dorsey and Josh show a willingness to spread the ball around like Saturday night. 9 different recievers had at least one catch. I mean who had Morris, Hines, Cook & Knox with receiving tds before the game? May not make Diggs happy early on, but if they keep with it, it should free him up some later on.

22 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Also, I did not mean to insinuate that it was every time in the Dolphins game, I meant that I have seen it numerous times throughout the season. Thanks.

You are not wrong, he's done it a ton this year. I'm always yelling at the TV lol. Sometimes it's only a play or two into a drive. I'm like what are you doing?? Maybe it has to do with keeping him fresh until this time of the year? I don't know, but it's happened this year way more than the other years he's been here.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You are not wrong, he's done it a ton this year. I'm always yelling at the TV lol. Sometimes it's only a play or two into a drive. I'm like what are you doing?? Maybe it has to do with keeping him fresh until this time of the year? I don't know, but it's happened this year way more than the other years he's been here.

Thanks, from the other responses I thought maybe I was seeing things 😟.

6 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

What are the splits before and after yelling at coaches on camera?

It's not quite this, but I'm a little curious about the attitude myself.

I noticed that Diggs was pretty much the first one on the field to celebrate with Bass after the kick, so I still think trying to call him a diva (not you) is dumb and shortsighted, but his frustration may be a very real issue. There's been some weird body language the last couple of weeks to say the least. Maybe it has to do with stats, maybe it has to do with Gabe and McKittrick practically holding hands while running down the opposite sideline on some plays.

9 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification on both points.

The Bills started the season with an even lower utilization of Diggs.  I think they were hoping to give him breathers to keep him healthier into the playoffs.  If a guy is playing winded, he may be less nimble and able to protect himself. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.