Interesting Diggs Split Stat from The Athletic

inthebuff

"When Diggs was on the field, the Bills gained 432 yards and averaged an outstanding 7.2 yards per play. Diggs played on all but 11 snaps for the Bills. On those 11 plays, the Bills gained only 11 yards — a horrible average of one yard per play."

Whoa.

There could be some factors - which Joe Buscaglia really didn't delve into in the article - he just pointed out the average yards per play when Diggs is not on the field.  The article points out that there aren't other skill players who "strikes fear into the opponent. "

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Diggs is our #1 weapon and one of the elite guys in the NFL so this should come as no surprise. 

That said, I suspect the plays Diggs has sat out may be skewed by short yardage or obvious run plays. Also, the sample size is pretty small. 

Edited by TOboy
  • Agree 5

Not shocking.. I'd have to imagine the Chiefs splits are similar with Kelce on/off the field.  

Both teams now have one elite playmaker and some guys.  

Comparing the Bills/Chiefs skill guys to the Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers is pretty eye-opening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Not shocking.. I'd have to imagine the Chiefs splits are similar with Kelce on/off the field.  

Comparing the Bills/Chiefs skill guys to the Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers is pretty eye-opening. 

It really highlights the value of having a true QB 1. 

1 hour ago, inthebuff said:

"When Diggs was on the field, the Bills gained 432 yards and averaged an outstanding 7.2 yards per play. Diggs played on all but 11 snaps for the Bills. On those 11 plays, the Bills gained only 11 yards — a horrible average of one yard per play."

Whoa.

There could be some factors - which Joe Buscaglia really didn't delve into in the article - he just pointed out the average yards per play when Diggs is not on the field.  The article points out that there aren't other skill players who "strikes fear into the opponent. "

That could be a wildly misleading stat, in prior games Diggs came off on bigger sets, when the offense only wanted 1-3 yards.

Would need a lot more analysis to make this an actually useful stat

Couldn't agree more. Teams like Miami & Cincy with 2 elite pass catchers makes a world of difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

McKinnon is a bonafide weapon in the Chiefs offense

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn't agree more. Teams like Miami & Cincy with 2 elite pass catchers makes a world of difference. 

We need some playmakers on rookie contracts from the next couple of drafts. Outside of Allen and Diggs we don't have much. At least not consistently. 

2 hours ago, inthebuff said:

Whoa.

Well this is misleading.  How many of those 11 snaps did we have a big formation to go for a short yard conversion?  

The formations and plays called and game situation play so much into this that this stat can’t be relied on to mean anything without that context.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, somnus00 said:

We need some playmakers on rookie contracts from the next couple of drafts. Outside of Allen and Diggs we don't have much. At least not consistently. 

I feel like Gabe and Knox are starting to show signs... There's sign of life from them in the passing game.  It's not popping just yet.. Gabe still isn't putting up numbers a WR2 should in this Offense and Knox still has the drops here and there.   But Davis is starting to show he can do more than just go routes, and Knox showed why he's so dangerous when we can get him vertical in the passing game.  

Get those two going heading into the playoffs, and this Offense will take off.  

Things should open up more for us when the Bills take the restraints off Allen and he just starts gashing teams on the ground whenever they give him a lane. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well this is misleading.  How many of those 11 snaps did we have a big formation to go for a short yard conversion?  

The formations and plays called and game situation play so much into this that this stat can’t be relied on to mean anything without that context.

Exactly - he is taken off of the field for the really short yardage situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inthebuff said:

Whoa.

That's because when he is off the field it's usually in obvious run situations, which the Bills didn't do so well in this game.

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs and Josh haven't quite had their "bestie" chemistry on the field the last few games

I hope he is fed the ball in Chicago 

With all respect, I think that's a mistaken hope.

Diggs was "fed" the ball against Detroit.  He wound up with 8 catches on 15 targets or 53% catch

Diggs needs to get the ball when he's open.   If Josh has time, Diggs will usually work his way open.  He's very good.

But especially when the OL isn't holding up against the pass rush du jour, we need to do more of what we did vs. Miami: spread the ball around to other targets.  Take the quick shots.  Then when the defense is like "oh, we're being nibbled to death, we need to stop it", throw to Diggs.

Nate Geary:

Capture.JPG

And Diggs needs to stop getting visibly pissy on the field and throwing his helmet (IMO) when someone else is targeted and he thinks it should be him.  He doesn't know the timing, he doesn't know what Josh is seeing, he's putting a lot of pressure on his QB.  Contrary to what people say, this is far from saying "I was open, throw to me, I'll make you right" on the sideline or "I Got You" in the huddle.

The above didn't stop Diggs from getting his targets BTW, he got just as many. 

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, somnus00 said:

That's why it's critical we draft 2 wrs next year. Diggs is quickly approaching 30. Cole & John are playoff rentals.  Who knows what happens to Gabe or Isaiah based on inconsistent play? We have a ton of question marks for next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.