Isaiah McKenzie Show 12/12 - discusses drops, his role, and offensive malaise

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You’re kinda missing my point. Of course his numbers go down. But I challenge you to look at the collective passer rating for opposing qbs playing in bad weather home games in 2021, of which there were many. Indeed, The Bills team passer rating rating was a below-average 83.9 vs the Jets on Sunday (but with zero turnovers and a TD run by Allen), but the Jets team passer rating was a godawful 72.38 with two fumbles by the QB (one of which was a turnover) and zero TDs. 

I realize that bad weather penalizes both teams. I get it. But why would I want to do that at the risk of neutralizing Josh and all his strengths. Now if we had a better OL or running game I could get on board with your bad weather strategy.  I guess I'm not willing to devalue Josh's abilities at the gain of screwing the opponents performance. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re a riot. 

Can’t wait to meet you at a tailgate down the road! 

Yep we are always in the same spot on Glen St. next door to Hammer's house.   We have a Sunseeker RV parked in the yard next to the garage all fall so can't miss it.   TSW folks always welcome.   This week we even have a TSW Mod attending. 😲

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I used to be an anti-dome guy.  But its become clear its a better product in person and on TV when the weather is not a factor in the game.  Now that the Bills are a top tier team, the randomness introduced by the weather works against them. It really does. 

Since we're in this thread: McKenzie pointed out "you have a $250M QB who likes to throw the ball" and "have you seen us play in a dome? we're unstoppable".

5 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

What are McKenzie’s thoughts on female fans?  Did he mention cheerleaders?

Didn't say.

No.

20 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

Cole Beasley is back in town and signed to practice squad, I wonder what he thinks of that!

and in reply to:

Edited by Beck Water

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

McKenzie: “5 TDs” (snarky)

Dunne eggs him on a lot 

Yes, Dunne definitely “stirs the *****” and eggs McKenzie on

As I said, not sure the show with Dunne helps McKenzie, either mentally or with the team

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

McKenzie: “Around this time (last year), I think Cole Beasley had 86 targets. I have 48.”

Interviewer: “We have to fix that.”

McKenzie: “I don’t think it’s getting fixed”

You disagree with him?  You think he’ll get more targets?  What part of that can’t you believe?

Edited by Beck Water

a few thoughts. 

I like McKEnzie and Davis a lot. Unfortunately, they are incredibly unreliable. 

I think Davis deserves another year. I would be sad to see McKenzie go, but I would understand. 

We absolutely messed up not getting a dome. The passing game is our strength. When weather is crappy, our stength is NEUTRALIZED. It is not a case of "both teams have to play in it" 

It is not 1985 anymore. There is no home field advantage to playing in garbage weather. Can't believe we are burning 1.4 billion and can't get a roof with that. 

10 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm not gonna give an hour-plus of my life to a guy I'm fed up with. If anyone watches this, a couple highlights and salient quotes would be appreciated.

Does he say he needs to play better or offer excuses is my big question?

Agree 100 % !!! 
Bottom line I don’t really care what he’s got to say it’s time for an upgrade  , it’s time to invest on offense  OL , WR should be # 1 priority !!! 

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He's always seemed pretty open on this podcast so I don't think he's lying, he probably shouldn't have said it like this, but he's always kind of been like this. He probably actually should be asking for the ***** ball, because that's what playmakers do and if he's open and we're not moving down the field say something.

And yeah, McKenzie should be having this convo privately with Chad Hall or with Dorsey or with Josh.  "Look, I feel I'm open and I could help the team move the chains, what do I need to change to be given a chance?".  For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to feel that's something he can do, which may not be "on him" - he may get the vibe that he's too far down the totum pole and little regarded for that avenue to be open to him (or, it may be open to him and it's "on him" he doesn't take it, I don't know)

10 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He still doesn't get it!! What does being open have to do with catching the damn ball?? 

There is this little point that 69.1% of the time (to date this season) when McKenzie has the ball thrown at him, he catches it.

Even for those who want to argue that he ought to be credited with a higher number of drops or whatever, that still remains.

That's second among the Bills WR.  Davis has almost 2x as many targets, but has caught just over half of them, 53.5% - which I really don't feel is Davis fault, I feel Josh is throwing the ball away in his direction or throwing to him when he's very well covered quite a bit.  Maybe instead of forcing the ball to a well covered Davis, Josh should, in fact, look at McKenzie more and earlier?

TIL:

On pro-football-reference, there's a tab that breaks down a WR seasonal splits.  If you scroll down to the bottom, it gives splits for down and yards to go etc.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McKeIs00/splits/2022/

I was kind of surprised when I compared 2nd and 10 and 3rd down and whatever splits to Cole Beasley last year:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeasCo00/splits/2021/

I now return you to your regularly scheduled dis-off.

35 minutes ago, Putin said:

Bottom line I don’t really care what he’s got to say it’s time for an upgrade  , it’s time to invest on offense  OL , WR should be # 1 priority !!! 

I can't disagree that we need an upgrade at WR and need to invest on offense.

5 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Beasley has 17 yards this year on 4 catches with a drop on a slant, so pump the brakes as your McK savior. McK had a rough game but every WR on this team has been dropping balls this year without getting hit. I seemed to remember Singletary standing all alone in the flat drop one Sunday for no apparent reason, again. I am not praising McK, just keeping it 💯

Edited by Locomark

47 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There is this little point that 69.1% of the time (to date this season) when McKenzie has the ball thrown at him, he catches it.

But, and I'm just going on booze memory here, aren't the vast majority of McKenzie's catches much shorter than Davis'? I'd like to compare this to Beasley's numbers in the slot. I'm not sure a slot receiver dropping more than 3 out of every 10 short passes is good. I could be wrong...

11 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

But, and I'm just going on booze memory here, aren't the vast majority of McKenzie's catches much shorter than Davis'? I'd like to compare this to Beasley's numbers in the slot. I'm not sure a slot receiver dropping more than 3 out of every 10 short passes is good. I could be wrong...

In the post you're quoting, I provided links to McKenzie's splits for this year (catch % by down and distance) and Beasley's splits for 2021, same.

Scroll down to the "advanced splits" part, and knock yourself out!

I don’t know what Beane sees in this guy. Yes, he’s had occasional productive games, ironically coming mainly against NE. However, to consistently be counted on to make the critical 3rd down, JA doesn’t trust this guy and for good reason. They cut I. Hodgins who all he did was make 1st downs when called upon and had hands like fly paper. Now the Bills are bringing back retreads like J Brown and Beasely. Have to question this one…. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.