50 years ago today, the final game at The Rockpile

JÂy RÛßeÒ

I went to one Bills game there. My first, the '69 season opener versus the Jets, right after they won the Super Bowl. We lived near St. Stanislaus Parish so my sister and I walked up to Humboldt Park, then down Best to the War Memorial. The place looked like the Roman Colosseum.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

Went to the game before that one, vs SF. I remember we knocked  Brodie out of the game and won. Only game at the Rockpile and my first one.  Next year(OJ's 2000) went to 5 games.

I was at that game too, we used to the bus from the Thruway Plaza.

Growing up in Rochester I only got out to the Rockpile 3 or 4 times.  Because of TV blackouts, I had to listen to the other games on the radio (Van Miller was great).

For the last game I remember that they played "Auld Lang Syne" on the radio broadcast when the game ended, and the fans came on the field to tear down the goalposts.  Only problem was that these were not '50s-style wooden goalposts, they were '60s-style metal ones.  Van was very concerned that someone would get hurt.

1.  I’m jealous I’ve never been there.

2. You guys are old!  

Just kidding.  Thanks for the memory.  My dad talks occasionally about the rockpile.  He’s a dinosaur too at 92 and still kicking.  I was a whoops as my siblings are much older than me.  I remember in college delivering bundles of papers by there (buff news hopper was my college job) and it did look like the Roman coliseum. 

5 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

You weren't a "whoops," you were a "Honey you're looking especially wonderful tonight."

As my mom said so many times, I was a pleasant surprise.  God rest her soul.  

That was funny.  Thanks brother, now let’s whoop the J-E-T-S, Jests, Jests, Jests arses.

As Boomer used to say, “ITS GAMEDAY”!

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

1.  I’m jealous I’ve never been there.

2. You guys are old!  

Just kidding.  Thanks for the memory.  My dad talks occasionally about the rockpile.  He’s a dinosaur too at 92 and still kicking.  I was a whoops as my siblings are much older than me.  I remember in college delivering bundles of papers by there (buff news hopper was my college job) and it did look like the Roman coliseum. 

I am

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.