Jump to content

Terrell Owens knocks out man at CVS; claims self-defense


chongli
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

Bring him in.... Looks like he still he's alot of fight left  😏

Espns ticker line tonight says obj visits Bills tomorrow after giants tiday a d cowboys after the bills.  I mean with smoke back , there are only so.many balls to go around. Mike Robinson made a good point with Chris brown, will Josh still be the alpha leader if you;have a guy / diva like obj always saying he is open and wants the ball. ?  Good point , could it just be nite of a headache and also a affect chemistry with Diggs / Allen ? Not my ststements but from a good player who knows how locker room dynamics can be affected. Him saying he doesn’t see a role for obj ,is A very important point imo from a very astute prior player turned big Bills / Josh mafia member now. Really enjoy his insights weekly!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Espns ticker line tonight says obj visits Bills tomorrow after giants tiday a d cowboys after the bills.  I mean with smoke back , there are only so.many balls to go around. Mike Robinson made a good point with Chris brown, will Josh still be the alpha leader if you;have a guy / diva like obj always saying he is open and wants the ball. ?  Good point , could it just be nite of a headache and also a affect chemistry with Diggs / Allen ? Not my ststements but from a good player who knows how locker room dynamics can be affected. Him saying he doesn’t see a role for obj ,is A very important point imo from a very astute prior player turned big Bills / Josh mafia member now. Really enjoy his insights weekly!  

You do realize I was talking about T.O. in a T.O. thread, right?

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, theRalph said:

The way I hear, he was a model citizen that took a stand when necessary. Perhaps the antihero crowd should read up prior to airing ignorant opinions.

 

Anti-hero is not to be confused with Villain.   They perform good deeds although their reasoning for doing them is usually for their own self interest not for that of society.   Hancock would be a perfect example as @transient pointed out in this thread. 

 

Here's an article from 2008 that specifically mentions the fictional character Hancock and Terrel Owens as anti-heroes.  

 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/media-stew/200807/hancock-examination-the-anti-superhero

 

However, as any sports fan can tell you, we do seem to love the anti-hero. What is an anti-hero? An anti-hero is an enigma in that he or she does not demonstrate the desired values or norms of society and yet still possess a fan following. The anti-hero is someone who feels that they do not need other people, they possess a "me first" attitude.

In sports, anti-heroes may include, Terrell Owens, Dennis Rodman, Alex Rodriquez, Barry Bonds, Bode Miller, Kyle Busch, Jason Giambi, Randy Moss, and many others. Past anti-heroes include Pete Rose, Billy Martin, John McEnroe, and Tonya Harding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a T.O fan. While only here for 2 years, he gave it his all and was a solid teammate. The press in Philly and Dallas are pressure cookers, I think he was maybe unfairly demonized early in his career. The outbursts he had @ D.McNabb for coming up short are totally understandable and mild by todays comparisons. Yes he was full of himself, but show me an elite WR that isn't. I'm glad he didn't get hurt or worse. +1 T.O, Go Bills!

 

P.s. It looks like he peppered him a couple times before ending it. Good for him!

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crazy concept here, but it appears everyone could have just walked away. I don't punch homeless guys on the street when they yell nonsense at me. Clearly this guy had some mental problems. It was necessary to confront a much smaller crazy person and then punch him? And that makes him a hero? You guys have an interesting view on reality. "But he disrespected me." Oh no, how will you be able to go on living the rest of your life knowing a crazy insignificant person called you a name?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Crazy concept here, but it appears everyone could have just walked away. I don't punch homeless guys on the street when they yell nonsense at me. Clearly this guy had some mental problems. It was necessary to confront a much smaller crazy person and then punch him? And that makes him a hero? You guys have an interesting view on reality. "But he disrespected me." Oh no, how will you be able to go on living the rest of your life knowing a crazy insignificant person called you a name?

Not for nothing... But your portrayal of events is not at all what occurred.  The guy he knocked out was threatening other patrons inside the store.  TO stepped in with an attempt at playing peacemaker (some would legitimately call that heroic) and the guy persisted and then started to swing at TO.  Sure TO could have walked away and just said "not my problem".  I have no issue with his actions, regardless of motive.  It started by taking a stand against a bully.  I admire that.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Not for nothing... But your portrayal of events is not at all what occurred.  The guy he knocked out was threatening other patrons inside the store.  TO stepped in with an attempt at playing peacemaker (some would legitimately call that heroic) and the guy persisted and then started to swing at TO.  Sure TO could have walked away and just said "not my problem".  I have no issue with his actions, regardless of motive.  It started by taking a stand against a bully.  I admire that.

The point is everyone could have walked away. I'm sure both sides were talking crap to each other. The guy was also much smaller and probably has a mental health condition. So who is the bully?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The point is everyone could have walked away. I'm sure both sides were talking crap to each other. The guy was also much smaller and probably has a mental health condition. So who is the bully?

Maybe subjective, but I am going with the man threatening other patrons as the bully.  

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cwater10 said:

Maybe subjective, but I am going with the man threatening other patrons as the bully.  

Or maybe he has mental health problems and needs treatment? We don't know that's why the right thing to do is to not engage. Let's say TO punches this tiny man and he dies? Or the man pulls out a gun and shoots TO? Is it worth it? Because he said the 49ers suck or whatever they were arguing about? It's insignificant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Or maybe he has mental health problems and needs treatment? We don't know that's why the right thing to do is to not engage. Let's say TO punches this tiny man and he dies? Or the man pulls out a gun and shoots TO? Is it worth it? Because he said the 49ers suck or whatever they were arguing about? It's insignificant

I agree with you that there is much here we don't know.  High on that list is "The Right Thing To Do".  I don't know that answer and neither do you.  We can have opinion, but we can't just inject made up facts.  You have made mental health an issue in this story.  What is that based on?  It is not mentioned anywhere in the story that I can see.  Perhaps I missed it.  But sure, the man that was threatening others may have been mentally ill.  Also possible is that the parties that TO was protecting were mentally ill.  And yes, in a perfect world, everyone walks away and goes home for a nice night with the family.  I agree that would have been the idyllic scenario.  

 

And yes the man could have been seriously hurt by TO.  Maybe further violence escalates.  The opposite unknown is what happens if TO does not step in as he did, in a peacekeeping effort, trying to get everyone to just go on their way?  Should have he have just looked away and leave the other harassed party to be beaten into submission by the aggressor who was waiting outside the store to pursue just that?  What if that victim had been seriously injured or killed?  

 

All I am saying is to be careful with a rush to judgement about what actually occurred and who should have done what.  You initially characterized TO's actions as if he took exception to and picked a fight with the crazy homeless panhandler on the freeway exit ramp who spends his days yelling at people who drive away with closed windows and locked doors.  This is not that.  And that is all that I am pointing out.  This was a peacekeeping effort gone south.

 

We don't live in a perfect world populated by perfect people.  TO is far from perfect as he has demonstrated over and over in his life.  But I can't in good faith say that he did anything here that I have an issue with.  I wish that we lived in a world where he could have walked away knowing that everything would be cool in his wake.  I think he was very aware that was not the case and took steps to address that.  But again...  that is just my opinion.  I don't pretend to know "The Right Thing".  Even if it sounds like it 😄.  Cheers!  

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...