Elam apparently had excellent game against Detroit...bodes well for stretch run

Big Turk

I have a friend that had an ACL reconstruction(the only person I know that had one) and I asked him what the biggest issue Tre will have coming back and without any hesitation he said confidence.  Said Tre will be dealing with pops and cracks from scar tissue for months even though it's fully "healed" and he has to not think that every time he hears it that something is "wrong" with his knee.  He said that even 3 years later he had a pop that was so loud just walking around Wegmans that other people there stopped to look at him.

He also said it is very likely White doesn't feel like he is 100% because of what I just mentioned and because he isn't able to do things as well as he could do them prior to injury yet, but the catch 22 is that he won't ever reach that level again until he gets through that scar tissue issue and realizes that he isn't going to re-injure it even with it making weird noises or getting some weird feelings in there at times due to it.

19 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I still don’t understand where the “McD and Beane like CBs with long arms” stuff comes from. White is the only CB they’ve drafted with longer than average arms.

But do they have big butts?  Maybe Beane likes big butts and he cannot lie. 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I still don’t understand where the “McD and Beane like CBs with long arms” stuff comes from. White is the only CB they’ve drafted with longer than average arms.

Tre, sure. Levi (okay UDFA, not draft pick) has long arms too. Josh Norman was a McBeane guy both in Carolina and brought here. Long arms. All over 32 inches. Xavier Rhodes who they brought off the street this year as vet depth has freakishly long arms too.

Siran Neal, Rachad Wildgoose and Christian Benford  (Kevin Johnson as a UFA) - 31 inches.

Kaiir Elam and Taron Johnson (EJ Gaines as a trade then UFA) - 30 and 7/8ths. 

Dane has 30 and 3/8th. That is small by their standards but he was a 7th round pick. At that stage you are more willing to overlook a single measurable. The only below 30" arm guy who they brought in is Leonard Johnson who was a low grade slot corner (and slot only) for them in 2017 (had been in Carolina). 

I don't believe there is any chance at all they were going to draft a 1st round corner with 28 inch arms.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

i still think you have no clue 

McDuffie made no sense for this team.  He didn’t make much sense for the chiefs either.  Now they have 2 possibly great slot corners and zero potentially great outside corners.  Both he and Sneed are best suited inside. 

McDuffie is playing outside right now and has excellent grading.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly think the QB looks to see who is lined up on Jackson and just throw it his way.  He covers well but has no ability to turn around and find the ball.

I think I asked my son to stop saying where the pass was going in the last game. You’re no Tony Romo, kiddo, you’re just looking for the guy across from Dane. He was right more often than not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don't think they were interested in McDuffie.  He's a short armed CB and I think Elam was the one they targeted all along.  He's a taller corner with speed.

Maybe you’re right.

But the look on Beane and Grays faces when KC moved up was very interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Taron Johnson has appeared to be shaky much more than I remember this year in pass coverage it seems...

This take might be a bit shaky too. The secondary has been in constant flux. Maybe if there was a little more stability, it wouldn't appear that TJ looks shaky this year? The D in general has been a carousel, but the DBs in even more so.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TPS said:

This take might be a bit shaky too. The secondary has been in constant flux. Maybe if there was a little more stability, it wouldn't appear that TJ looks shaky this year? The D in general has been a carousel, but the DBs in even more so.

Asking the “weak end” of the position to be the leaders is asking for trouble. We’ve lost three Pro Bowlers in the backfield, it wasn’t just “three guys”. They were the leaders, the glue that made everything else work. The weak link will always be attacked, but when healthy we have few weak links. The glue leading them to the right places (and a healthy pass rush) make those guys better. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I have a friend that had an ACL reconstruction(the only person I know that had one) and I asked him what the biggest issue Tre will have coming back and without any hesitation he said confidence.  Said Tre will be dealing with pops and cracks from scar tissue for months even though it's fully "healed" and he has to not think that every time he hears it that something is "wrong" with his knee.  He said that even 3 years later he had a pop that was so loud just walking around Wegmans that other people there stopped to look at him.

He also said it is very likely White doesn't feel like he is 100% because of what I just mentioned and because he isn't able to do things as well as he could do them prior to injury yet, but the catch 22 is that he won't ever reach that level again until he gets through that scar tissue issue and realizes that he isn't going to re-injure it even with it making weird noises or getting some weird feelings in there at times due to it.

But do they have big butts?  Maybe Beane likes big butts and he cannot lie. 😂

Son had to have ACL repair his senior year cost him scholarship. He went on to rehab it and play semi pro now he does competitive powerlifting to this day he hears a little Pops and cracks, even though everything is healed

• Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Via those who watched the All-22, claim that Elam blanketed his receivers and that he was only thrown at once and forced an incompletion on the pass.

This bodes really well, now we need to figure out where the weak link is and address it. Our pass D has been really bad lately. Must be causing McD and Frazier sleepless nights, it's their specialty.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-rookie-cb-kaiir-elam-033310092.html

We all know where the weak links at #30

13 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

vs Detroit Dane Jackson wasn’t pretty 

Dane Jackson ain't been pretty for awhile 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, eball said:

It's so weird...Jackson looks like he is literally "right there" but for some reason doesn't get his head around or hands up to break up the play.  Receivers are not getting "wide open" against him (that I have noticed) unless it is a pick play.

He's in position to literally make every play, he just doesn't. I can't understand it. 

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

vs Detroit Dane Jackson wasn’t pretty 

Jackson is a good backup.  He is not a good starter.  But he has had to start due to injuries, and he's clearly the weak link and is getting targeted a lot.  Give him credit for keeping his head up and trying hard to keep the Bills afloat until the starters return.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Was this the same dude that had the inside word on the Bills signing Jerry Hughes later this week? 

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

McDuffie is playing outside right now and has excellent grading.

McDuffie is a good player. I had a slightly higher grade on him than I did on Elam, had them both with second round grades. I think McDuffie has a higher floor. But as an outside corner his lack of length means he has a lower ceiling to me. There will always be the play that physically he just can't make. I completely see why Spags liked him. He likes those scrappy types of corners that you can move all over the place in exotic looks. That isn't really the Bills style. I never liked him as a fit for THIS defense and you can find posts from February and March from me saying that. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDuffie is a good player. I had a slightly higher grade on him than I did on Elam, had them both with second round grades. I think McDuffie has a higher floor. But as an outside corner his lack of length means he has a lower ceiling to me. There will always be the play that physically he just can't make. I completely see why Spags liked him. He likes those scrappy types of corners that you can move all over the place in exotic looks. That isn't really the Bills style. I never liked him as a fit for THIS defense and you can find posts from February and March from me saying that. 

The good thing is we now have the benefit of hindsight. And we can see that McDuffie has been playing like an absolute stud on the outside despite his perceived lack of length.

He is just blanketing guys. That fits it ANY defense. There is no defense where a defender with incredible instincts and ability to “stick” to their receiver, isn’t valuable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.