Elam apparently had excellent game against Detroit...bodes well for stretch run

Big Turk

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Via those who watched the All-22, claim that Elam blanketed his receivers and that he was only thrown at once and forced an incompletion on the pass.

This bodes really well, now we need to figure out where the weak link is and address it. Our pass D has been really bad lately. Must be causing McD and Frazier sleepless nights, it's their specialty.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-rookie-cb-kaiir-elam-033310092.html

Weak link? You must’ve missed all the Dane Jackson threads? Teams are abusing him……get him outta the lineup and the pass defense will improve.

• Like (+1) 1

It's so weird...Jackson looks like he is literally "right there" but for some reason doesn't get his head around or hands up to break up the play.  Receivers are not getting "wide open" against him (that I have noticed) unless it is a pick play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Weak link? You must’ve missed all the Dane Jackson threads? Teams are abusing him……get him outta the lineup and the pass defense will improve.

I think that is more of a symptom of a bigger problem...ie, the Bills need to devote other resources elsewhere which then causes Jackson to find himself in those situations more than he should be.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Taron Johnson has also had some shaky stretches.

Yeah. What we’ve learned is QBs can just throw at our DBs and they get out muscled to the ball routinely, and just aren’t getting their head around making plays on the ball. 

also looks like with all the missing bodies there are more man coverage situations. 

59 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

At least Jackson hasn't fallen victim to the dread double move route as he did so often earlier in his career. Overall he's shown improvement, although at times it's been frustrating.

I mean he's always right there....and never makes a play on the ball.  He's been getting destroyed the last 3 games

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Via those who watched the All-22, claim that Elam blanketed his receivers and that he was only thrown at once and forced an incompletion on the pass.

This bodes really well, now we need to figure out where the weak link is and address it. Our pass D has been really bad lately. Must be causing McD and Frazier sleepless nights, it's their specialty.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-rookie-cb-kaiir-elam-033310092.html

I wonder how much weight you can give to this.  Detroit knew 'Dane the Giver' aka 'Dane the Trailer' was in fine form.   According to PFF, Dane has been targeted 57 times this season and has allowed 36! receptions for a 6 .3  in 10 completion against rate.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

They weren’t throwing at Elam because they were downright abusing Dane Jackson every passing down - A. St. Brown ate him for lunch.

I honestly think the QB looks to see who is lined up on Jackson and just throw it his way.  He covers well but has no ability to turn around and find the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am an Elam fan and think he has had a mostly good rookie year, but he only played 21 snaps on Thursday as he was eased back in. I didn't actually see him targeted but I might have been serving up the mashed potato at that point :D

I think the play he was targeted he still had decent coverage but was overthrown because of pressure by the DL.

It was an out route to the right side of the field if I remember correctly. 

Barely saw his jersey other than that one play on tv so I'm guessing that was the target. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills did not want McDuffie. He does not fit their profile at all. The will never draft a short armed outside corner under this regime. I think they were worried KC were taking Elam because on the face of it KC plays more man (and Elam was a man guy in college) and the Bills play more zone. 

I still don’t understand where the “McD and Beane like CBs with long arms” stuff comes from. White is the only CB they’ve drafted with longer than average arms.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.