A guy on WGR said it pretty well this morning

78thealltimegreat

We are at the point with this franchise where if our QB has an off game or we play a clunker we think the world is ending and we want to burn it all down and just start over. 

We lost to two 6-3 football teams on the road in one possession games. We are not getting routed by the Texans here. 

The season is long and we still have 9 more games to go. 

Steve Young said it best we are still a week to week league and now these guys will have to stew for 6 days hearing how they are overrated and been exposed. 

We all know how good this team is and the only way they fix it is taking it out on a pretty beatable 7-1 Vikings team. 

• Like (+1) 25
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 8
  • Dislike 1

Sure, go out and beat the Vikings .. look competent doing it .. and all this talk ends. 

Nobody is freaking out because we're 6-2 and just lost a close game where we played about as bad as we can, on the road, to a decent team.   The panic is because we've seen this story before.  Run game woes that last a few games before McD figures it out and mid-season lulls where Allen plays some horrible football at times and the offense looks like a JV team.  

Show us this year is different.. Show us this isn't the same pattern we've seen from McDermott coached teams that lead us to having to play in Arrowhead every postseason. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We are at the point with this franchise where if our QB has an off game or we play a clunker we think the world is ending and we want to burn it all down and just start over. 

We lost to two 6-3 football teams on the road in one possession games. We are not getting routed by the Texans here. 

Steve Young said it best we are still a week to week league and now these guys will have to stew for 6 days hearing how they are overrated and been exposed. 

We all know how good this team is and the only way they fix it is taking it out on a pretty beatable 7-1 Vikings team. 

No argument with that but the Vikings have a pretty good RB and a QB that's proficient at the short passing game along with a team that is fundamentally sound so is anyone going to be surprised if they game plan on offense to do exactly what the Packers and Jets executed the past two games? 

So if McD and Frazier come into the game with the same approach as the past two weeks against the Vikings on Sunday I'm going to be both puzzled and upset along with concluding that the learning curve is just too steep for these guys to handle.  And the week after, what's the thinking on how Cleveland is going to come into the stadium?  Whether its execution or scheme or something else they better show some improvement.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If we look at it objectively, the Miami game was lost due to ridiculous numbers of players being out by the 4th quarter, the Bills leaving huge numbers of points on the field and the heat.  The Jets game was lost due to honestly, really bad play on both sides of the ball(to the Bills Standard at least), and stupid turnovers, one to take points off the board, the other giving the Jets the ball inside our own 20.  but both teams basically had to play really well still to beat us, and the Bills have to be beside themselves because at the end of the day, they honestly just beat themselves mostly, regardless of how well the other team played.  And they lost late in the 4th quarter after leading most of the game by 2 points and 3 points.  That's how far we have come...any loss is really not acceptable anymore.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Anyone who wants to start over because of one loss needs to get their emotions in check because they are being ridiculous.

It’s just the annual slump. Every year there is a 2-3 game stretch where the defense suddenly can’t stop anyone and Josh Allen + the offense struggles.

Its like a tradition at this point 😂

The good news is that they always play much better afterwards. The bad news is it usually costs them the 1 seed.

Im hoping they can end the slump at 1&1/2 games this year and get back on track next week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeah, but it would be nice if other areas of the team had the ability to step up and lift the team to a win despite the poor play of their QB. For instance, not allowing the Jets to run the ball down their throats. Shutting down the quick passing game with more man coverage. Making FGs, etc. The pressure they put on Josh to win games has to be monstrumental. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Anyone who wants to start over because of one loss needs to get their emotions in check because they are being ridiculous.

It’s just the annual slump. Every year there is a 2-3 game stretch where the defense suddenly can’t stop anyone and Josh Allen + the offense struggles.

Its like a tradition at this point 😂

The good news is that they always play much better afterwards. The bad news is it usually costs them the 1 seed.

Im hoping they can end the slump at 1&1/2 games this year and get back on track next week.

If these slumps continually cost us the 1 seed, nobody is overreacting. 

This team was built to win a Super Bowl and make the Playoffs go through Buffalo.   You think Pegula wants to keep paying tons of cash over cap so Beane can give McDermott a top end roster plus depth every year only to never host the AFC CG?

Mahomes has never played a road Playoff game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sure, go out and beat the Vikings .. look competent doing it .. and all this talk ends. 

Nobody is freaking out because we're 6-2 and just lost a close game where we played about as bad as we can, on the road, to a decent team.   The panic is because we've seen this story before.  Run game woes that last a few games before McD figures it out and mid-season lulls where Allen plays some horrible football at times and the offense looks like a JV team.  

Show us this year is different.. Show us this isn't the same pattern we've seen from McDermott coached teams that lead us to having to play in Arrowhead every postseason. 

When did you see this story before? Last year when we got beat by the Jags, or routed by the Colts? 

I mean....that didnt translate to a lost season but instead we had a good playoff run that ended on a very flukey scenario. 

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

When did you see this story before? Last year when we got beat by the Jags, or routed by the Colts? 

I mean....that didnt translate to a lost season but instead we had a good playoff run that ended on a very flukey scenario. 

because we had to play on the road.

i mean that's the bottom line here. These losses matter, and by losing to an inferior team, the Bills have ratcheted up the pressure on themselves going forward.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

because we had to play on the road.

i mean that's the bottom line here. These losses matter, and by losing to an inferior team, the Bills have ratcheted up the pressure on themselves going forward.

But we were good enough to win on the road in Arrowhead. We had an epic failure on what should have been a won game. 

Look I am not arguing that home field advantage wouldn't be beneficial, I am just wondering what you all think the end to the story is if we don't ever get home field advantage? Like OP states, are we burning it all down if we don't? 

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

But we were good enough to win on the road in Arrowhead. We had an epic failure on what should have been a won game. 

Look I am not arguing that home field advantage wouldn't be beneficial, I am just wondering what you all think the end to the story is if we don't ever get home field advantage? Like OP states, are we burning it all down if we don't? 

"burn it all down" is a polemic.

No one's looking to "burn it all down," let alone me. What I am asking is, at what point does it become OK to question the teambuilding philosophy and coaching?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This is truth...

I really feel all our issues are fixable..

- Allen can focus and play better. He's had no INT games for huge stretches.

-turnovers

- poor tackling

-drops

-iffy playcalling

- getting players healthy

All these issues are fixable!

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

"burn it all down" is a polemic.

No one's looking to "burn it all down," let alone me. What I am asking is, at what point does it become OK to question the teambuilding philosophy and coaching?

I am not sure how you correct team building philosphy and coaching without making changes to coaching which usually results in rebuild mode.

I just don't think its #1 seed or bust for McDermott. I think they have built a successful franchise that so long as it consistently competes, we should let it do its thing. Obviously, the ultimate goal is a super bowl and I think we will get there, but I absolutely don't think our chances get better making such changes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If these slumps continually cost us the 1 seed, nobody is overreacting. 

This team was built to win a Super Bowl and make the Playoffs go through Buffalo.   You think Pegula wants to keep paying tons of cash over cap so Beane can give McDermott a top end roster plus depth every year only to never host the AFC CG?

Mahomes has never played a road Playoff game. 

We’ve only really been in the fight for the 1 seed since 2020, so 2 seasons plus this one.

2020 was the first year Josh really took his big step toward stardom so I’m not sure how realistic a goal the 1 seed was that year. It certainly wasn’t expected when the season started. It was the first year they won the division. Then in 2021 if you remember, Allen struggled to start the year. Then suddenly everything seemed to click in the 2nd half of that Tampa bay game and he’s been on fire ever since. So now we obviously expect more.

This year feels like the first year where anything but the 1 seed would feel disappointing. We obviously wanted it last year (and the year before) but KC was still the top dog in the East.

I would say the slump this year has been different. They aren’t getting embarrassed. They are still very competitive. They still won the Green Bay game despite a terrible 2nd half. They almost won the Jets game and led for much of it.

Lets see how they respond next week.

Anyone talking of firing McDermott is overreacting as far as I’m concerned. 

I am not sure how you correct team building philosphy and coaching without making changes to coaching which usually results in rebuild mode.

I just don't think its #1 seed or bust for McDermott. I think they have built a successful franchise that so long as it consistently competes, we should let it do its thing. Obviously, the ultimate goal is a super bowl and I think we will get there, but I absolutely don't think our chances get better making such changes.

This ⬆️

even if they don’t get the 1 seed this year it shouldn’t cost McDermott his job. The Bills are a powerhouse and odds on super bowl favorites. Talk of firing the head coach seems silly.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

My college team, PSU, is in the same spot. They've got a guy who's built a program that's good enough to make bowl games consistently, but never good enough to reach the pinnacle. I mean, I hope you're right, but that's not a super place to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

There's really only one glaring weakness but they won't address it. A running game helps in every area and on both sides of the ball. The quarterback has to do it all. As long as that's true then when involved against good teams with good defenses it'll always come to that last possession. If the qb is going to lead the team in rushing then chances are they won't make it. You gotta put a true every down runner back there with Josh, and ditch this fantasy football nonsense with two split midgets behind him.  

Edited by gridirongold
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.