Isaiah Hodgins claimed off waivers by Giants

Roundybout

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

See Duke Williams, our WR1 against the Texans in a WC Game a few years ago.  

Except the Bills chose to keep Duke Williams inactive for the majority of the season, then call him up for the playoff game and give him 10 effin' targets.  That was 100% self-inflicted by piss poor personnel management and game planning.

There goes MY day!  Thanks for bringing this game up!

• Haha (+1) 4

4 hours ago, boyst said:

He's the best WR they have.

If he was our primary WR he'd be putting up stats here too. Or anywhere with any QB not named Russ Wilson. 

I'm trying to figure out the gestalt of this thread, so excuse me if I'm missing the boat.

The last 2 games with the Giants, Hodgins has caught 5 and 4 passes for 44 and 38 yds, 2 TDs.

7 yds/r, and 6 yds/r

If Hodgins were still with the Bills, wouldn't we be looking at that and saying it's not good enough? 

Wouldn't we say, he isn't getting any YAC , isn't breaking any tackles? He's only 12 of 22 in the 4Q this season, 54.5% - must not be very clutch.  While here, his catch % was only 66.7%, not good enough for us.

JK, for real, I was sorry to see Hodgins go.  I think the Bills were too, but we ran into a bit of a roster slot pinch when we activated Tre White, but he wasn't ready to play yet, and Poyer was injured - so they had to keep extra DBs on the roster.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yeah...same concept...people are acting like these players are going to turn into the next Adam Thielen...it's not happening.

He thought (rightfully so) he would get more of a shot with the giants and all of their injuries.  Honestly good for him though, but i don't think he "never got a shot".  He got plenty, he was hurt, or outplayed.

Buffalo is missing Crowder and Kumerow.  They still have Diggs and Davis outside, and Mckenzie and shakir inside.  He wasn't going to get a ton of playing time as a #5 in buffalo.  Buffalo replaced him as depth with Brown and Beasley, and I don't think having him would at all have prevented Buffalo from drafting someone fairly early next season.   

NYG are missing Sheperd and Robinson.  Moved Toney.  Injuries and just straight up benching of Golladay.  2 first rounders, a high paid guy, and a longtime vet for the team are all out of the lineup.  If Diggs, Davis, Crowder and Mckenzie all were hurt - I'd imagine Hodgins would see a big jump in snaps

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm trying to figure out the gestalt of this thread, so excuse me if I'm missing the boat.

The last 2 games with the Giants, Hodgins has caught 5 and 4 passes for 44 and 38 yds, 2 TDs.

7 yds/r, and 6 yds/r

If Hodgins were still with the Bills, wouldn't we be looking at that and saying it's not good enough?  Isn't getting any YAC , isn't breaking any tackles?  While he was He's only 12 of 22 in the 4Q this season, 54.5%, so he must not be very clutch.  And, while here, his catch % was only 66.7%, seems that's not good enough for us.

No guarantee Josh would even look his way or throw passes to him with little separation.  

I feel like the only designed contested elevation/catch ball Allen has thrown all year was to Shakir against the Steelers.  

Big small window thrower.. Not so much with the up top contested throws. 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Except the Bills chose to keep Duke Williams inactive for the majority of the season, then call him up for the playoff game and give him 10 effin' targets.  That was 100% self-inflicted by piss poor personnel management and game planning.

There goes MY day!  Thanks for bringing this game up!

The refs changing that call in the 2nd half from TD to touchback is still one of my all time BS calls.  You can't just make up hand signals, knowing the rules is important.  

Then this: https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/11/nfl-finally-admits-call-from-bills-texans-playoff-game-was-legal/

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Wasn't the issue with Hodgins that he couldn't stay healthy?  He had a good preseason here, and hasn't broken down yet for the Giants, but i'm guessing the big brains at 1BD decided that there was too much risk with him on a team that, at the time, was pretty stacked at WR.

I don't think that's it at all.  He was on our active roster as the #6 WR, replacing Crowder.  We had to cut someone when we traded for Dean Marlowe and activated Tre White, and with Tre White apparently not ready to play and Poyer out for 2 weeks (but not injured enough for IR) it wasn't gonna be a DB.  At the time Kumerow was healthy and plays teams, so he stayed and Hodgins went.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Kid has two weeks of 15+ ffb points. Not too shabby 

Don't you think phrasing it that way is just another way to exaggerate his production?  I mean he has 183 yards receiving over 5 games for an average of 36.6 yards per game to go along with the 2 TD's.  He isn't exactly lighting the league on fire.  

He has 17 receptions in 5 games...so he averages 3.4 Rec, 36.6 yards, for 10 yards per catch, and 0.4 TD's peg game...and on a team devoid of WR's.  

I like him...I will always root for him...but let's be a little more realistic about who he is, which was not our answer or savior at the WR position.  He was healthy this year, and had his best shot to make the roster and still didn't get there.  Why...probably because despite leading the team in targets and receptions this preseason, he only managed to average less than 9 yards per catch and couldn't beat anyone out on ST.  

I hope he does well in NY, but let's be real...he will be a bubble player for them too once they start working to rebuild the WR room.  And his achilles heel to making a roster will always be the combo that he isn't a difference maker at WR and also doesn't offer a lot on ST.  If you are going to be a reserve WR, it's pretty critical you have some ST value.  

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Don't you think phrasing it that way is just another way to exaggerate his production?

no, he had two week of 15+ FFB points. That’s pretty good for a guy that was on the practice squad a few weeks ago.

Also in the past 4 weeks he’s produced more ffb points than Gabe Davis. 

Doesn’t need to mean anything more than that

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

no, he had two week of 15+ FFB points. That’s pretty good for a guy that was on the practice squad a few weeks ago.

Also in the past 4 weeks he’s produced more ffb points than Gabe Davis. 

Doesn’t need to mean anything more than that

All good bud, and no disrespect what so ever...but there isn't a GM or Coach that would take Hodgins over Davis to be on the football field.  So, I am just saying this "fantasy football points" analysis/comparison doesn't really provide accurate context.  And it was posted in a thread where certain people are going to take it and run with it to say we made a mistake.  

The reality is he averages 36 yards a game on a team with no one to throw to and is not the piece this team is missing.  I hope he has a good career, sincerely do...but fantasy points or not, he is a bubble WR playing on team decimated at the WR position.  This is the same team that is playing David Sills V too who also isn't the one who got away either.  

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good bud, and no disrespect what so ever...but there isn't a GM or Coach that would take Hodgins over Davis to be on the football field.  So, I am just saying this "fantasy football points" analysis/comparison doesn't really provide accurate context.  And it was posted in a thread where certain people are going to take it and run with it to say we made a mistake.  

The reality is he averages 36 yards a game on a team with no one to throw to and is not the piece this team is missing.  I hope he has a good career, sincerely do...but fantasy points or not, he is a bubble WR playing on team decimated at the WR position.  This is the same team that is playing David Sills V too who also isn't the one who got away either.  

Now if you want to talk about numbers you’re worried people might run with, look at his catch and drop rate vs Gabe 🫤

despite what anyone thinks about him, he’s had a couple good games, did some red zone stuff and meanwhile the bills are bringing Cole and Smoke out of retirement. 

It’s too bad aside from all world Diggs the pass catchers have been underwhelming 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well put. As I say about 20 ppg scorers on bad NBA teams or high tackle-number guys on bad NFL defenses, *someone* has to score the points (given that even the worst NBA teams average over 80 ppg) and *someone* has to be credited with the tackles (given that every team averages at least 40-50+ tackles per game). Also, the really bad teams tend to have the highest tackle numbers because they can’t get off the field. It doesn’t mean they’re good.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Now if you want to talk about numbers you’re worried people might run with, look at his catch and drop rate vs Gabe 🫤

despite what anyone thinks about him, he’s had a couple good games, did some red zone stuff and meanwhile the bills are bringing Cole and Smoke out of retirement. 

It’s too bad aside from all world Diggs the pass catchers have been underwhelming 

Hands were never Hodgins issue, he should be a jump ball threat too.  His issue is he runs a 4.6, isn't a plus blocker, and doesn't play special teams.  He also (much like chris hogan before him) plays smaller than his size.  

He was given an opportunity here, but he couldn't beat out Kumerow.  

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Hands were never Hodgins issue, he should be a jump ball threat too.  His issue is he runs a 4.6, isn't a plus blocker, and doesn't play special teams.  He also (much like chris hogan before him) plays smaller than his size.  

He was given an opportunity here, but he couldn't beat out Kumerow.  

struggling to grasp why people need to bash the kid. Obviously the Bills thought they had better guys. But it is a fact none the less that this kid went elsewhere and is productive at the moment coincidentally while the bills are looking desperate to find some wr production. 

As an aside this priority on special teams ability over developmental potential on o or d isn’t my favorite strategy. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Don’t disagree on the underwhelming part about some of our guys.  But I’d honestly still prefer Brown and Beasley to Hodgins still though personally

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

struggling to grasp why people need to bash the kid. Obviously the Bills thought they had better guys. But it is a fact none the less that this kid went elsewhere and is productive at the moment coincidentally while the bills are looking desperate to find some wr production. 

As an aside this priority on special teams ability over developmental potential on o or d isn’t my favorite strategy. 

I agree on the latter, but you have to earn your stripes as a 7th rounder.  Either play your way onto the field, or go down and tackle some people.  

22 hours ago, Bangarang said:

All they invested was a 6th round pick. Fringe players like Hodgins come and go every year throughout the league.

So keeping him on the team until he got healthy for the last 3+ years & teaching him all that he knows from the coaches & the amount of chemistry even how little it was that he had built with the others was no investment 🤔 Okay den ...

1 hour ago, T master said:

So keeping him on the team until he got healthy for the last 3+ years & teaching him all that he knows from the coaches & the amount of chemistry even how little it was that he had built with the others was no investment 🤔 Okay den ...

Right. Fringe players come and go all the time. Some hang around longer than others. In the grand scheme of things, a few years on the practice squad isn’t much of an investment. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.