2023 Concerts

T&C

Had a good run of concerts in 2023.

Motley Crue/ Def Leopard in Atlantic City back in February. Not my cup of tea, but holy ***** was this weekend a lot of fun. DL were fantastic live. I ***** on both of these bands over the last 30 years, but I instantly became a fan of DL after that weekend.

Clutch/Amigo the Devil in April. 9th time seeing Clutch. They delivered as always. Their new record sounds great live. Amigo was fantastic as well.

Life of Agony/ Sick of it All in May. Both bands brought the goods here. First time I've seen SOIA in 18 years. I think I liked them better this time. 

Took my boy to see Kidd G in June. He had fun. That was good enough for me.

Hoping to take the whole family to see Zach Bryan in 2024, but holy ***** prices are dumb. 

On 10/24/2023 at 11:24 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Bad Religion tonight. Home before 11 PM? That's gotta be a first. Good show, right up my alley- punk/pop and heavier than expected.

I knew nothing of the band  going in and wasn't expecting:

- the singer looking like a dentist

-left guitar looking like he'd fit right in next to a wooden barrel on Hee-Haw

- right guitar looking like Kelly Leak 

- bass player looking exactly like a gangly Steve Martin (couldn't get over that one all night)

BadReligion.jpg

Dont ever use the term pop on Bad Religion again. :lol:

They;ve been around since the early 80s! How have you managed to avoid them this long?

And the lead singer isnt a dentist, but he is a doctor!

"Graffin obtained his PhD in zoology at Cornell University and has lectured courses in natural sciences at both the University of California, Los Angeles and at Cornell University.

Graffin attended El Camino Real High School, then obtained both his BA Biology, BS Geology and master's in Geology at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He went on to earn his PhD in Zoology from Cornell University.[5] The PhD dissertation was supervised by William B. Provine.[6] After years of being out-of-print, the title of his dissertation changed to "Evolution and Religion: Questioning the Beliefs of the World's Eminent Evolutionists".[7]

Graffin returned to UCLA where he taught natural science courses.[8] In a June 2008 interview with Bad Religion bassist Jay Bentley, he mentioned that Graffin would be teaching there from January to March 2009.[9] In April 2011, Graffin revealed that he would return to Cornell University that fall to co-teach for 14 weeks.[10]

In 2011 the new type species Qiliania graffini of an extinct bird from the lower Cretaceous was named after Graffin "for his contributions to evolutionary biology, his public out-reach through music, and his inspiration to young scientists around the world"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont ever use the term pop on Bad Religion again. :lol:

They;ve been around since the early 80s! How have you managed to avoid them this long?

And the lead singer isnt a dentist, but he is a doctor!

"Graffin obtained his PhD in zoology at Cornell University and has lectured courses in natural sciences at both the University of California, Los Angeles and at Cornell University.

Graffin attended El Camino Real High School, then obtained both his BA Biology, BS Geology and master's in Geology at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He went on to earn his PhD in Zoology from Cornell University.[5] The PhD dissertation was supervised by William B. Provine.[6] After years of being out-of-print, the title of his dissertation changed to "Evolution and Religion: Questioning the Beliefs of the World's Eminent Evolutionists".[7]

Graffin returned to UCLA where he taught natural science courses.[8] In a June 2008 interview with Bad Religion bassist Jay Bentley, he mentioned that Graffin would be teaching there from January to March 2009.[9] In April 2011, Graffin revealed that he would return to Cornell University that fall to co-teach for 14 weeks.[10]

In 2011 the new type species Qiliania graffini of an extinct bird from the lower Cretaceous was named after Graffin "for his contributions to evolutionary biology, his public out-reach through music, and his inspiration to young scientists around the world"

That's awesome, thanks for the info!  Apologies for the punk/pop reference - it's one of my quirks that I only label bands as punk if they came from that late 70's Sex Pistols era. Plus I also think that bands like Bad Religion are a bit more accessible than some of the hardcore punk bands so punk/pop is not intended to be derogatory, just the opposite.

As an aside, that concert was #$%#&  loud. I've had tinnitus on and off ever since. Headed to get my ears checked out next week. We always used to say "if it's too loud, you're too old" - I may have hit that stage lol.

• Like (+1) 1

Im bummed noone has mentioned Jamie Miller  the drummer for Bad Religion. I met him at a show a couple years ago. He was sitting in with a band my son was a member of for a short while called Vanishing Life. We bonded over pitbulls. I volunteer for a pittie rescue and he owns one who he loves and adores. He talked about where he has to keep his dog when he goes out on tour. He tours a LOT and worldwide. Very nice guy. Im guessing he is in his 40's

@SinceThe70s @DrDawkinstein

Edited by muppy

27 minutes ago, muppy said:

Im bummed noone has mentioned Jamie Miller  the drummer for Bad Religion. I met him at a show a couple years ago. He was sitting in with a band my son was a member of for a short while called Vanishing Life. We bonded over pitbulls. I volunteer for a pittie rescue and he owns one who he loves and adores. He talked about where he has to keep his dog when he goes out on tour. He tours a LOT and worldwide. Very nice guy. Im guessing he is in his 40's

Cool! If it's any consolation he's the one band member I didn't poke fun at in my Bad Religion post - he looked the part of a rocker more than the rest of the band. Regardless my silly observations the entire band rocked - had the relentless vibe of a Ramones show which is high praise from where I type.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

That's awesome, thanks for the info!  Apologies for the punk/pop reference - it's one of my quirks that I only label bands as punk if they came from that late 70's Sex Pistols era. Plus I also think that bands like Bad Religion are a bit more accessible than some of the hardcore punk bands so punk/pop is not intended to be derogatory, just the opposite.

As an aside, that concert was #$%#&  loud. I've had tinnitus on and off ever since. Headed to get my ears checked out next week. We always used to say "if it's too loud, you're too old" - I may have hit that stage lol.

haha all good man, i wasnt upset at all. just doin the punk rock thing. and they did form in 1980 so that is kinda late-70s scene :thumbsup:

they definitely have a bit of catchiness to their riffs. really were the trailblazers of that socal punk sound.

check out their 1994 release Stranger Than Fiction. start there.

55 minutes ago, muppy said:

These guys are all in their late 50s/early 60s :thumbsup: Holding up well

• Like (+1) 2

Might go see TSO in Rochester Thursday night.  There's still a lot of tickets available in the cheap seats.  Seen them 4 times over the years at least.  

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is technically 2024, but I'll be buying tickets this Thursday when presale opens.

Another killer Shaky Knees line up!

65661518d4acf2d9bfd08876_SK24-Socials-PR

There is a 2024 Concert thread if you want to post it there.

2024 Concerts - Off the Wall - Two Bills Drive

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, muppy said:

Breeding pitbulls should be banned. 

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Breeding pitbulls should be banned. 

no one who is involved in animal rescue would say that dogs shouldn't be spayed or neutered.  Pitties are the most euthanized breed in shelters so in that respect I agree with you.  If you mistrust or dislike the breed I get it. But respectfully this isn't the forum or thread to discuss  banning them 

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

no one who is involved in animal rescue would say that dogs shouldn't be spayed or neutered.  Pitties are the most euthanized breed in shelters so in that respect I agree with you.  If you mistrust or dislike the breed I get it. But respectfully this isn't the forum or thread to discuss  banning them 

Inwas just commenting on pitbulls in response to your comment … about pitbulls. 

They are the most euthanized because they maim and kill the most people. 

Statistics are everywhere. They’re born killers. Regardless of upbringing. 

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Inwas just commenting on pitbulls in response to your comment … about pitbulls. 

They are the most euthanized because they maim and kill the most people. 

Statistics are everywhere. They’re born killers. Regardless of upbringing. 

My comment was more in line with Jamie Miller the drummer of Bad Religion  and he owning a dog actually.  This conversation is over.

Edited by muppy

We saw TSO two weeks ago and the show was full of pyro, lights and  their usual Christmas themed show. 

We met former co-workers and they had two  TSO 'newbies".   They were amazed.

I bought tickets the day of the show at the box office and had seats 13 rows up and at "the 40 yard line"  if 

you understand that comparison.  Tickets were half the price compared to buying them from Ti$%^&*aster.

This was our 5th time seeing the TSO .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Tony DeSare last night at the Strand Theatre in Hudson Falls, NY. 

DeSare is a Hudson Falls native crooner who’s managed to make a nice career for himself. 

Magnificent night of great music, ranging from Rhapsody in Blue, to some originals, Christmas classics and old jazz standards.

Great personality and sense of humor. This video is not from last night, but it is identical to what he did perform. A nice showcase of his sense of humor:

Edited by Gugny

On 10/24/2023 at 11:24 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Bad Religion tonight. Home before 11 PM? That's gotta be a first. Good show, right up my alley- punk/pop and heavier than expected.

I knew nothing of the band  going in and wasn't expecting:

- the singer looking like a dentist

-left guitar looking like he'd fit right in next to a wooden barrel on Hee-Haw

- right guitar looking like Kelly Leak 

- bass player looking exactly like a gangly Steve Martin (couldn't get over that one all night)

BadReligion.jpg

One of my all time favorites.  Can tell I am getting old because A. I didn't know they were in town and B.  Because the band looks old.

Glad it was a good time!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.