Fraizer and McDermott great coaches

Billsforumsucks

15 minutes ago, Lost said:

What gives you that impression?   I sincerely hope that's the case but everyone seems to be hyping him up for a HC gig.

He will be 64 before next season begins, he has had one shot as a HC and failed, he is a defensive mind in a league going increasingly for offense and he is a low key laid back personality type. 

I just don't see the market for a guy like that, despite the fact I think there have been less able coaches hired in recent cycles and no doubt will be again in coming cycles.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

It’s not a silly argument. I feel like KC had less to work with but took the bills to the wire.

Sorry I don’t feel like our coaching staff is elite and beyond criticism. 

Usually when being critical of an argument one would offer a counter. 

I'm one to be very critical of coaching. Sure there were a few bad calls on offense. Easy to say after the fact. With that said, I thought the Bills coaches were solid. The Bills were ready to play, prepared, executed, and made adjustments. The went into Arrowhead and beat them. It was a total team win and the coaches deserve their props too. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Flucod said:

Love being outschemed and winning the game, can’t make this up. Hope everyone outschemes us the rest of the year.

Overall I think the Bills won 2 of 3 phases. I just think Spags edged Dorsey out in that phase. He won most of the first half. Dorsey did punch back with the two go route touchdowns to Diggs and Davis that then forced Spags to adapt but if you'd said to Kansas City yesterday morning "you are keeping Allen and the Bills to 24 points sign for that or play the game and take your chances" they'd absolutely have signed for it. Spags is a really good DC, there is no shame in that, but I hope Dorsey has learned something for when we see them again.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Was impressed with the D in the last quarter...

Stopped them the last three times they had the ball... held then to 3 points total.. 

Bills were robbed on that no call when  JA was tripped.. could have already had the game wrapped up

Agree with the Bills D. My pre game thoughts were the Bills will win because they have a clear advantage on defense and WRs. What surprised me most wasn't the QB play. It was the defense of KC. They held up better than I thought. It took Superman Allen and several Batmans to pull out the win with a minute to go. Some will say the Bills made self inflicted mistakes. I get it but still the Chiefs D has to get some credit. What a game. I think sometimes we look at stats too much. 

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like our coaching staff keeps learning to evolve and adapt, which is what you want from your coaches. They’re all humble enough to know they still don’t know it all and hungry enough to keep wanting to improve. 

That’s one reason (of many) that I was so excited when McDermott was hired. He’s always been trying to learn and grow his entire NFL career. It’s one of the reasons Andy Reid kept promoting him in Philly. And he was always talking about continually learning + growing in Carolina.

The job that Frazier has done with out mash unit defense this season so far is absolutely remarkable.  Him and McD have shown a consistent ability to coach up DBs to be successful in this system.   They really are phenomenal.

.... and just thought I would take a second to sing Milano's praises.  He is an absolute machine. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, gtw3 said:

The job that Frazier has done with out mash unit defense this season so far is absolutely remarkable.  Him and McD have shown a consistent ability to coach up DBs to be successful in this system.   They really are phenomenal.

.... and just thought I would take a second to sing Milano's praises.  He is an absolute machine. 

Your first point is an important one. There were so many injuries at one point, especially on defense, that it clearly wasn't the Jimmies and the Joes. The secondary, especially, minus maybe one play down in the Miami debacle, has played very well despite at times missing ALL FOUR STARTERS at boundary CB and S. I know the front is stacked this year, but they also were missing 3 out of 4 DTs as well. 

It's gotta be that Frazier and McDermott (and the staff they've assembled) are ELITE coaches, especially with respect to teaching and developing. The depth guys have been ready and able to execute their assignments. This might also suggest our personnel dept does a great job bringing in the right players for these coaches to work with. 

It's often difficult, in football, to isolate proper credit/accountability. SO many layers of variables. Why I love the sport so much. The interconnected complexity is like a societal or at least organizational microcosm played out in clearly quantifiable contests. 

(As to your second point, I thought Milano was actually a bit terrible (for him) in the first half: often and surprisingly a step behind, slow, or out of place. Seemed like the Chiefs targeted him as the conflict defender on multiple occasions, and got the best of him. He DID turn it around as the game went on.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

if you'd said to Kansas City yesterday morning "you are keeping Allen and the Bills to 24 points sign for that or play the game and take your chances" they'd absolutely have signed for it.

My one point of contention is that Dorsey schemed up an option/pitch play to McKenzie and a 4th down end zone pass to McKenzie, both of which probably should have been TDs. That's 14 points, or at least 10, taken off the board not because of poor play calls but because of poor execution. If we're going to use that as a defense for Frazier's play calls we should use it for Dorsey too.

The Chiefs had a couple good defensive drives where they caught us with our pants down trying to adjust to the blitz but other than that we mostly moved the ball at will against them. I thought Dorsey called an excellent balanced game and used the full complement of weapons at our disposal to keep the Chiefs guessing. The 3rd down short yardage handoffs need to be deleted from the playbook though, no argument from me there.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My one point of contention is that Dorsey schemed up an option/pitch play to McKenzie and a 4th down end zone pass to McKenzie, both of which probably should have been TDs. That's 14 points, or at least 10, taken off the board not because of poor play calls but because of poor execution. If we're going to use that as a defense for Frazier's play calls we should use it for Dorsey too.

The Chiefs had a couple good defensive drives where they caught us with our pants down trying to adjust to the blitz but other than that we mostly moved the ball at will against them. I thought Dorsey called an excellent balanced game and used the full complement of weapons at our disposal to keep the Chiefs guessing. The 3rd down short yardage handoffs need to be deleted from the playbook though, no argument from me there.

On the pitch play, yea that is an execution failure... although I am not sure we needed something gimmicky there. We were, as you say, moving the ball at will. They hadn't stopped Devin the whole drive. But you are right there was a play there to be made if McKenzie handles the pitch. 

As for the 4th down McKenzie dropped... Josh gets blitzed on that play, ends up throwing it falling backwards, looking at the replay I don't think McKenzie is the primary read and while he still should have caught it had he made that play I think that would have been more about Josh Allen than the scheme. Still mark that one down as a win for Spags. 

I don't think Dorsey was awful on Sunday and I haven't said that. But I do think Spags outcoached him. He got a couple of big punches in but if it was a boxing match I'd give it to Spags on points.

On 10/16/2022 at 7:40 PM, ToGoGo said:

They learned from 13 seconds. You take the 62 yard attempt all day. 

Yeah.   They learned how to make it happen 1 second quicker. 

In a great game this was an utter failure and a great cause for concern that we still can't stop a FG with 12 seconds.. yet again giving up underneath with a big gain after the catch.

That NEEDS to be buttoned up. Can't expect to win by 4+ or as time expires vs every team in the playoffs. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Eyeroll 1

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Overall I think the Bills won 2 of 3 phases. I just think Spags edged Dorsey out in that phase. He won most of the first half. Dorsey did punch back with the two go route touchdowns to Diggs and Davis that then forced Spags to adapt but if you'd said to Kansas City yesterday morning "you are keeping Allen and the Bills to 24 points sign for that or play the game and take your chances" they'd absolutely have signed for it. Spags is a really good DC, there is no shame in that, but I hope Dorsey has learned something for when we see them again.

I totally agree with this - the only thing I will add is I think the Dorsey/Spags battle was a draw.  I think pre-game - just as if you told KC they were going to hold the Bills to 24 - the Chiefs take that.  I think if you told the Bills that Allen would throw for 330 and the Bills would rush for over 130 (-8 on the 2 kneel downs) with nearly 100 of that by RBs - Dorsey and the Bills staff would be ecstatic. Nearly 460 total yards by the Bills team should be a win by the offensive staff most weeks.

The Bills on Offense struggled with a few of the same issues - short yardage and Red zone - and a lot of that looked like execution.  The Allen fumble with McK was over cute, but if McK takes that pitch - there is space there for him to either score or get very close.  The TD drop by McK on a pressure look - could have help get KC out of the Blitzing mind frame sooner if he just catches a ball thrown right to him.  I think that play was a bit improvised and McK was not expecting it, but in the end - he needs to make that play.

The defensive gameplan by the Bills was absolutely genius.  They also made a few mistakes - interestingly both long mistakes were on missed tackles on JuJu and then a missed tackle on McKinnon before the half.  Just a quick rewatch showed the Bills ran a butt ton of different coverages and schemes in this game from the defensive side.  They ran some straight man, off man, zone with coverage rotating outside the hash and zone with coverage CB staying outside and pushing the offense toward the middle.  They ran a bunch of Man/Zone combo covers and they ran both 3 and 4 DL set-ups with straight rush and blitzes with spy.  It was very impressive and no wonder that Mahomes was having issues getting a solid feel of what to do.  They also played a lot of Big Dime with Neal in the game to help tackle against any run plays, but still give added coverage against the spread.

The best play though was the close out interception as I think that was a schemed play specifically for Mahomes and it worked to perfection.  the Bills ran Straight Man on the backside and Zoned off the front/wide side.  They were in the Big Dime with 3 DL, 2 LB and 6 DBs.  I think they knew Mahomes loves to leak out to his Right and if they looped Miller inside - it would look like the right side was wide open, but they brought Milano outside as a spy/delayed rusher to make him uncomfortable.

Milano was right in the passing lane as Mahomes pumps once and when he gets a step further outside and the WR clears Milano - Taron is already breaking on the ball and beats the WR to the spot.  Johnson was playing a Robber role to take that exact pass away and the Bills got exactly what they wanted.  I just think that was a masterclass in coaching as they stopped the run and held Mahomes in check most of the day.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.