Chip the balls?

The Red King

Was a rogue thought I had, given today's tech.  Why not add a chip to the inside of both tips of the football?  Using GPS positioning, you would know exactly where the ball is.

Challenging a bad spot?  Correct spot identified immediately.  Did the ball cross the plain, but you can't see it well enough to know?  You rule it a TD, and the automatic review will know immediately if any molocule of that ball broke the plain for even a split-second, and again would be known instantly.  Was the ball past the LOS when it was thrown?  Did the onside kick go ten yards?  Would make the game far more accurate, and vastly speed up a number of challenges.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

You greatly overestimate the accuracy of GPS chips.  Also, another solution in search of a problem.

Maybe to the first part.  But you don't see a problem?  "Yes, the ball is in his arm and most likely broke the plain, but it's hard to tell since we do need to see it.  Now, let's hold the game up 5-10 mins. while we watch 200 clips to see if we get an angle that tells us for sure."

Yeah, certainly not a problem that exists.

For those of you that say the tech isn't precise enough, okay, good to know.  Thanks for telling me.  Was a random thought, suppose it won't work.  Ah well.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They've had that system in place in international soccer for several years now.

Particularly if a shot hits the crossbar and bounces down very quickly and then out, the question is "Did it cross the goal line or not?"

They review that and have accurate enough data to say whether or not it was in or out.

Same in tennis, if I'm not mistake.  I don't watch tennis.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Won't work to the accuracy you want.  I work with locating systems and you would only get an area the football is in, not exactly down to the inch where it is.  Video reviews are still the way to go. 

So how do they do it in soccer? Is it a laser type system?

Why not employ that at least at the goal line, and then put the chip in the ball.  We could forever end debate about "crossing the plane of the goal line".

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Particularly if a shot hits the crossbar and bounces down very quickly and then out, the question is "Did it cross the goal line or not?"

They review that and have accurate enough data to say whether or not it was in or out.

In tennis, they use cameras on the lines. It's not 100% accurate, but it is more accurate than human line judges which is all it has to be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Goal-Line Technology is a system that uses either physical cameras or a changing magnetic field to track the ball and determine if it has crossed the goal line. If the ball crosses the line, an encrypted signal is transmitted to the referee, who can then decide whether or not to award a goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuz9D41TxoA

02_Goal-Control.jpg

Interesting reading here...

https://www.scienceabc.com/innovation/how-does-the-goal-line-technology-work.html

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It will come in time.   As will unitards instead of two piece uni's.   It's gonna' be gross.

In the meantime try to look at it like you ONLY have to get 10 yards..........so if you are ruled a half a yard short you should have gotten between 1 and 89 more yards so you weren't leaving it to a bunch of part time officials.    Same the other way around........you had 10 yards to stop them if you couldn't clearly do the minimum then you are leaving the result to fortune to some extent.  Same with plays on the boundary.........if you live on the margins when the field is 360' x 160' then you expose yourself to greater chance of human error/subjectivity. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No they haven't.  Those are mainly camera based, not GPS.  We already have camera review in NFL.  Also where do you put the chip in a hollow, spherical ball?

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1

So the short answer is coordinated camera systems using triangulation.

Can you imagine how accurate spotting the ball after every play could be?

Or did that guy make it to the first down marker or not as he was shoed out of bounds.

All that crap could be perfectly dialed in....but isn't....b/c.....NFL.

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

So the short answer is coordinated camera systems using triangulation.

Can you imagine how accurate spotting the ball after every play could be?

Or did that guy make it to the first down marker or not as he was shoed out of bounds.

All that crap could be perfectly dialed in....but isn't....b/c.....NFL.

Wouldn't work.  It only works in tennis because the cameras have clear sight lines to the spherical ball, not to an egg lump tucked into a gut covered by arms, amongst a swarm of tacklers.

Also in tennis they only have to have the system covering a limited area looking at specific lines.  An NFL field is massive in comparison and would require much more equipment, distances, and cost.  And again, wouldn't work anyways.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

No they haven't.  Those are mainly camera based, not GPS.  We already have camera review in NFL.  Also where do you put the chip in a hollow, spherical ball?

You can easily chip the balls, but that's only a very small part of the problem. You'd have to chip every inch of every player as well, to know if any part of their body was down before crossing the goal line, or whether they actually got two feet in bounds (while also maintaining control).

It just isn't really feasible with football. Spotting the ball is not that big of an issue. The bigger issue has to do with player's bodies in relation to the field, their possession of the football, etc. Spotting the ball is the easiest part of the equation.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Was a rogue thought I had, given today's tech.  Why not add a chip to the inside of both tips of the football?  Using GPS positioning, you would know exactly where the ball is.

Challenging a bad spot?  Correct spot identified immediately.  Did the ball cross the plain, but you can't see it well enough to know?  You rule it a TD, and the automatic review will know immediately if any molocule of that ball broke the plain for even a split-second, and again would be known instantly.  Was the ball past the LOS when it was thrown?  Did the onside kick go ten yards?  Would make the game far more accurate, and vastly speed up a number of challenges.

How do you account for knowing when a knee or elbow is down though?

The GPS location software in my sailboats chart plotter has shown me being on land while I was motoring on the inter coastal water way, GPS is not one millimeter accurate. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.