Hot take: Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward

Logic

6 hours ago, akcash said:

Shakir has some Fred Jackson to him. Not overly fast but just savvy and knows how to get extra chunk yards when it looks like nothing's there.

Um, what? Not overly fast? His speed is crazy if you go back to that catch where he blazed the sideline. Kid does indeed have good speed

4 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Um, what? Not overly fast? His speed is crazy if you go back to that catch where he blazed the sideline. Kid does indeed have good speed

Yeah he is fast... I think what I meant to say was like...  Hes got good timed speed. Hes not like super twitchy like a hill or debo samuel or to a lesser extent McKenzie. Like Fred wasn't but it's more of a deceptive like oh shoot there he goes for another 10/15 yards. Like I think he ran a 4.42 or something like that but when you watch him on tape it looks more like a 4.5. Then after he gets the ball it he can pull away. 

4 hours ago, Yantha said:

Mix in more 4 WR sets

One of the reasons we're not using 4 and 5 WR sets is because we need the protection.

Daboll would listen to Jon Feliciano tell him "Cam Heyward no problem, I got him!" and then watch Heyward cream Josh all game while he ran 4 and 5 wide sets.  As a former QB, Dorsey says "that's great, but just in case, we're gonna keep Singletary in to block.  all the better if you make his day boring."

We have done well with sets where we start with a WR or TE blocking and then they release.

On 10/11/2022 at 10:37 PM, HoofHearted said:

He's right. I didn't see the bottom side corner before. Still follows the sample principles I was talking about earlier though - the Mike Linebacker is a wall player to give the corner and Safety time to get to the throw. It's still the right read with the deep half player coming from so far outside.

Diggs looks so open because the Safety to that side is reading Allen's eyes. If Allen were looking Diggs way he'd be tighter on Diggs over the top.

You might be interested in Kurt Warner's piece comparing Denver and Buffalo offensive plays.

This is the first play he diagrams.  He IDs it as Tampa 2 and believes the correct QB choice is the underneath guys, but Josh just feels "my guy is better than you" and takes his shot.  (So does Russ, but it doesn't work)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

You might be interested in Kurt Warner's piece comparing Denver and Buffalo offensive plays.

This is the first play he diagrams.  He IDs it as Tampa 2 and believes the correct QB choice is the underneath guys, but Josh just feels "my guy is better than you" and takes his shot.  (So does Russ, but it doesn't work)

It is Tampa 2, but again - tell a QB he's got a receiver 1 on 1 with a linebacker and they're gonna take that shot every time.

6 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It is Tampa 2, but again - tell a QB he's got a receiver 1 on 1 with a linebacker and they're gonna take that shot every time.

Kurt Warner seems to believe the underneath throw is the correct call, and the throw to the WR on the LB is going to be a contested catch.

Now obviously it worked for Josh and Shakir, but I think that's where the bird twitter guy calling it a "trust throw" comes in.

Sorry, I can see you think I'm harping on D and that wasn't my point.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Kurt Warner seems to believe the underneath throw is the correct call, and the throw to the WR on the LB is going to be a contested catch.

Now obviously it worked for Josh and Shakir, but I think that's where the bird twitter guy calling it a "trust throw" comes in.

Sorry, I can see you think I'm harping on D and that wasn't my point.

No, I'm with you haha. The safest bet there is to throw the under. It was so wide open when the ball left Josh's hand - that's why he took it. The thing I was trying to get across was that it wasn't just a prayer being thrown up that we got lucky on.

3 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

No, I'm with you haha. The safest bet there is to throw the under. It was so wide open when the ball left Josh's hand - that's why he took it. The thing I was trying to get across was that it wasn't just a prayer being thrown up that we got lucky on.

Oh, sorry, I thought I made it clear - I agree with you that it wasn't just Josh chucking it into triple coverage. 

Though perhaps he could have held the safety just a little moment with his eyes.

My point was it is a "trust throw" relative to the sure, safe throws underneath and it did have the potential to become a pick if Shakir deflects it.

Edited by Beck Water

On 10/11/2022 at 2:52 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

What are you talking about? your missing the point.

McKenzie has 21 targets, Shakir has 9 targets

With this many targets Shakir has about as many YAC 

so lets do some basic roundup math.

with same amount of targets Shakir would have around 60 more YAC, a younger player with a higher ceiling then Mckenzie. not to mention most of Shakir's target was last Sunday

speculation of potential future events proves nothing, a thing has or has not happened, as the Tuna said, potential means you haven’t done “enough” yet…, 

Now don’t get me wrong Shakir shows “potential” but putting up three TDs in a four game stretch is an example of doing what’s expected of you…, ie McKenzie. 

• Eyeroll 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, yall said:

I don't even know that this is such a hot take.

Kid is good. Play him.

Yep- pure football player

On 10/10/2022 at 10:50 AM, Bangarang said:

I’m a fan

heres another hot take: Moss should not get anymore touches

My guess is Moss has limited time on this team. He just is not good enough. 

13 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yep- pure football player

My guess is Moss has limited time on this team. He just is not good enough. 

Hes too small for his playing style its weird that we haven't drafted a 5-11 or bigger RB for the finish the game/goal line role.

Unfortunately I get the feeling that despite Shakir's impressive showing last week this coaching staff is going to go right back to McKenzie as the primary slot option.

I know that 'little dirty' is a fan favorite for some but for me he's also the WR equivalent of Zack Moss in that I feel this team is wasting valuable snaps in favor of better players that should be in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Unfortunately I get the feeling that despite Shakir's impressive showing last week this coaching staff is going to go right back to McKenzie as the primary slot option.

I know that 'little dirty' is a fan favorite for some but for me he's also the WR equivalent of Zack Moss in that I feel this team is wasting valuable snaps in favor of better players that should be in the lineup.

Zack Moss is one of the best RBs in pass pro in the league. That makes him especially valuable in a spread offense, and in many situations as a check down option. Lil' Dirty (get it right) is also an exceptional blocker, and is valuable not just in the slot, but for his athleticism on WR screens, gadget plays, and out of the backfield.

Shakir is also clearly a versatile player, and will likely get plenty of snaps, whether he is named the starter, or not. I don't personally have a bead on Shakir's ability blocking, but I don't believe he has been too clearly tested in that regard. My inclination is to trust McD, Dorsey, and Allen (who is clearly given a lot of influence over play calls) over your frankly shallow take.

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Zack Moss is one of the best RBs in pass pro in the league. That makes him especially valuable in a spread offense, and in many situations as a check down option. Lil' Dirty (get it right) is also an exceptional blocker, and is valuable not just in the slot, but for his athleticism on WR screens, gadget plays, and out of the backfield.

Shakir is also clearly a versatile player, and will likely get plenty of snaps, whether he is named the starter, or not. I don't personally have a bead on Shakir's ability blocking, but I don't believe he has been too clearly tested in that regard. My inclination is to trust McD, Dorsey, and Allen (who is clearly given a lot of influence over play calls) over your frankly shallow take.

Just to be clear…

You’re saying Isaiah McKenzie… all 5’8” 165 lbs of him… is a great blocker?

And you are… unsure about Shakir’s blocking ability in the slot?

My brother… I would be ok with this if you weren’t calling other people’s takes shallow, but you need to take a step back from the computer and turn it off for a little while.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.