No huddle offense: could it be something to think about ?

Italian Bills

5 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

I was wondering if using sometimes the NHO could be a good idea or not. 

We have a great offense but not perfect because our poor running game, so maybe have another option could improve it. 

Or maybe do you think it's something that wouldn’t work at all?

Not happy with what you’ve seen so far? I think what we are doing has been OK.  I’ll trust the professionals here. 

They went no huddle when they thought they needed it (after a close call, for example). It’s not a great full-time plan, IMO. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

double edge sword.  The bills could do it today because they looked in control.  Sometimes, teams do it to get their team in a rhythm and knock the other team out of theirs.  The reality is, they could run a NHO and go 4 and out in 60 seconds and have to toss their defense right back on the field.

It's all about using it when you can catch the other team off guard. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not happy with what you’ve seen so far? I think what we are doing has been OK.  I’ll trust the professionals here. 

They went no huddle when they thought they needed it (after a close call, for example). It’s not a great full-time plan, IMO. 

In fact i didn’t mean that it would have to be a full-time plan like you said… but just use it every now and then just to create more problems to opposite defensive plans. 

I’m just curious about your opinions.

Personally i would like to see it.  

No huddle needs to be strategic. You do it with a mismatch with lineup fro the defense to expose a weakness.  You make it a K Gun and you’re defense gets gassed.  Our D Line plays 50% because being fresh becomes a wrecking crew.  I’m more concerned with more rest for guys like J Phillips.  We need him on a pitch count if he can make the Chiefs.  

That line will make the depleted secondary look like world beaters.  The bye is coming at a perfect time for us after the Chiefs.  We win next week and we will be in phenomenal shape post bye.  I’m not predicting a Bills win as this is our Spanish Armada against The British fast fleet in the 1500’s.  For the youngins, look it up if you don’t know whatI mean.  BTW- the British won that naval battle with speed.  We’ll have to pound the Chiefs into the dirt to win if we are healthy.  I’m much more optimistic on the Packers.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

No huddle needs to be strategic. You do it with a mismatch with lineup fro the defense to expose a weakness.  You make it a K Gun and you’re defense gets gassed.  Our D Line plays 50% because being fresh becomes a wrecking crew.  I’m more concerned with more rest for guys like J Phillips.  We need him on a pitch count if he can make the Chiefs.  

That line will make the depleted secondary look like world beaters.  The bye is coming at a perfect time for us after the Chiefs.  We win next week and we will be in phenomenal shape post bye.  I’m not predicting a Bills win as this is our Spanish Armada against The British fast fleet in the 1500’s.  For the youngins, look it up if you don’t know whatI mean.  BTW- the British won that naval battle with speed.  We’ll have to pound the Chiefs into the dirt to win if we are healthy.  I’m much more optimistic on the Packers.

Apparently you are much, MUCH older than I thought. 

• Haha (+1) 1

With as many weapons as we have we really should be seeing the hurry up here and there. Today with the wind would have been a bit dicey, but overall, when you have the potential to make huge plays at any moment, that little extra element of making the defense go "oh ***** they're already at the line what the hell" statistically will pay off. If we were playing in a dome right now, I genuinely believe we'd be the new Greatest Show on Turf.

Or we'd just keep running Moss for a 2 yard loss. What do I know.

30 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

We have a great offense but not perfect because our poor running game, so maybe have another option could improve it. 

I'm not sure you have this phrase where you're from but over here people often say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :D

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Augster, my first albeit short career was a social studies teacher from 21-23.  I’m a flurry of inconsequential, tangential facts.  I’m like the TBD, version of Cliff Claven fro. cheers (and I’m younger than you wise ars).  Always good to hear from you buddy.

He's a devious malcontent and was probably saying that he thinks you were actually sailing in that action!

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not sure you have this phrase where you're from but over here people often say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :D

He's a devious malcontent and was probably saying that he thinks you were actually sailing in that action!

I know Simon.  I love the Augster.   He’s a good cat.  I appreciate the comment though.  I haven’t opened you’re thread yet, but will soon.  Little thing if kids, ya yada.  I did see you posted something and always like you’re thoughts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

There are cave drawings of him swabbing the decks, I believe. I could be wrong, history clearly  isn’t my thing, despite being alive for so much of it. 

OK, great win and I’m a bit giddy. I like it when we are sitting starters late vs me biting my nails and making the neighbors wonder if the authorities should be summoned. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

We do have that phrase here ( Italy ) also, but as others here said, in single right circumstances it could become another weapon to use. 

27 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Yah  38 pts  shows the offense isn't working

Remember when 38 points was like…….three games worth of points? 

I wish we could run more effectively, and we did at times today, but for the most part I say just carry on, my Magnificent Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Italian Bills said:

We do have that phrase here ( Italy ) also, but as others here said, in single right circumstances it could become another weapon to use. 

It's possible, but I would be hesitant to put the defense in a position where they're on the field more than necessary because the offense isn't using up any clock.

One reason it might be worth running is that they're not getting a lot of opportunities to run their 2:00 offense. Going no huddle could artificially create some of those opportunities to go hurry-up and practice it for situations where it might be beneficial in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's possible, but I would be hesitant to put the defense in a position where they're on the field more than necessary because the offense isn't using up any clock.

One reason it might be worth running is that they're not getting a lot of opportunities to run their 2:00 offense. Going no huddle could artificially create some of those opportunities to go hurry-up and practice it for situations where it might be beneficial in the future.

Good point. Anyway i’m very happy for the way we’re playing beside all the injuries we have… a ton of. 

I was just curious to know others opinion about it. 

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

There are cave drawings of him swabbing the decks, I believe. I could be wrong, history clearly  isn’t my thing, despite being alive for so much of it. 

OK, great win and I’m a bit giddy. I like it when we are sitting starters late vs me biting my nails and making the neighbors wonder if the authorities should be summoned. 

Well, we do have Gasparilla where the Pirates invade Tampa every February.  Arrgghh Matie, and no Augie, no one will throw me beads from the pirate ship for lifting my top.  They actually throw me beads when I put my shirt down.  😇😏🏈🤼‍♂️🏋️♀️🤪😂

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

I definitely see the offensive talent to run a no-huddle  but, at this time, why??? Until other teams figure out how to consistently defend against our O, no need to feature it. Having said that, I do believe we would excell at it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.