We don't have the mentality to win close games

UKBillFan

There's no agenda.  The fact some here hate the idea that one would question McD is quite funny.

2020 btw they were 5-1, however as stated two were the result of last 2 minute TD's by Miami & Raiders (backdoor covers), which mean very little.  They beat LA Rams, NE & Indy in the playoffs (again had a 14 point lead in the fourth, won by 3).   

The 0-7 were all games they had the ball with a chance to win late in the 4th (or OT), which is a huge difference.  

This isn't a deep dive, it is facts.  The Bills are one of the 5 best teams in the NFL 2020-2022.  I expect better.

But I guess that concept is way over some of your heads?

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There's no agenda.  The fact some here hate the idea that one would question McD is quite funny.

2020 btw they were 5-1, however as stated two were the result of last 2 minute TD's by Miami & Raiders (backdoor covers), which mean very little.  They beat LA Rams, NE & Indy in the playoffs (again had a 14 point lead in the fourth, won by 3).   

The 0-7 were all games they had the ball with a chance to win late in the 4th (or OT), which is a huge difference.  

This isn't a deep dive, it is facts.  The Bills are one of the 5 best teams in the NFL 2020-2022.  I expect better.

They'll be better this year, last year is in the past and they are already 1-1 this year.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

just answer the easy yes or no question, or move on.  you're doing more bad than good at this point.  when bandito is your only supporter, something has gone wrong.  

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

They'll be better this year, last year is in the past and they are already 1-1 this year.

And I have said let's move forward too.....  But facts are facts....  I was thrilled they did everything right on Sunday in the last 5 minutes. 

17 minutes ago, teef said:

just answer the easy yes or no question, or move on.  you're doing more bad than good at this point.  when bandito is your only supporter, something has gone wrong.  

How about you answering my questions, which you are an expert at evading.  The Bills 0-7 record did not include one "Back door Cover", but the 2020 Miami & Raiders games are immediately trumpeted as winning a one score game, though Bills were comfortably ahead in the last two minutes (i.e. by 14 & 10 points).  Heck up 14 vs. Indy in the playoffs in the 4th and they hold on and again that is to you the same as the Tennessee, TB or KC game?  

You're more slippery than an eel..... 

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And I have said let's move forward too.....  But facts are facts....  I was thrilled they did everything right on Sunday in the last 5 minutes. 

How about you answering my questions, which you are an expert at evading.  The Bills 0-7 record did not include one "Back door Cover", but the 2020 Miami & Raiders games are immediately trumpeted as winning a one score game, though Bills were comfortably ahead in the last two minutes (i.e. by 14 & 10 points).  Heck up 14 vs. Indy in the playoffs in the 4th and they hold on and again that is to you the same as the Tennessee, TB or KC game?  

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47xkt7j6r86o2d2q67x8e

23 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

At the beginning of the 4th quarter against the Raiders we were up by 7.  That means the game was close and we pulled away.

With 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter against the Dolphins, we were behind by 3.  We came back and pulled ahead with 2 straight TD drives.

Now you're discounting that.

Those are close games that we pulled away.  Now you're manipulating it to where we have to win in the last second for it to matter.  Keep moving the goalposts.  

You quit evading the question.  Does a career record or single season say more about a coach?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

At the beginning of the 4th quarter, we were up by 7.  That means the game was close and we pulled away.

With 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter against the Dolphins, we were behind by 3.  We came back and pulled ahead with 2 straight TD drives.

Those are close games that we pulled away.  Now you're manipulating it to where we have to win in the last second for it to matter.  Keep moving the goalposts.  

i wouldn't bother.  he's just avoiding answering a simple question.  

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

At the beginning of the 4th quarter against the Raiders we were up by 7.  That means the game was close and we pulled away.

You quit evading the question.  Does a career record or single season say more about a coach?

Why don't you go through every game of every team and cherry pick yourself?  I have been talking about late game (i.e. last 5 minutes, and in most cases 2).  Regardless they were up by 14 & 10 in the games you cited in the last 2 minutes and neither team recovered on-side kicks or had a chance to go ahead or tie the game.  The Bills didn't even need a first down to secure the game.

Vs. Indy in the playoffs, they almost blew a 14 point lead and if I remember correctly needed one first down to ice the game (and they didn't get it) and frankly held on by their fingernails.  However a win is a win.

McD's career record isn't great either as stated and as I've shown many a few were as I've referred to as backdoor covers.  Bills haven't had a single one.... 

So again I've done the work.... One Score Games

2017 4-3

2018 3-3

2019 4-6

2020 5-1 (two back door covers)

2021 0-5

2022 1-1 (Thread started when 0-1)

Total 17-19 (or 14-19 if remove back door and Baltimore game as thread started prior). 

17/36 = .472 14/33 = .424

Both are well below the Bills winning % over that time, which shows they do proportionally worse in close games vs. expected.  

Sorry if math isn't your strong suit.

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why don't you go through every game of every team and cherry pick yourself?  I have been talking about late game (i.e. last 5 minutes, and in most cases 2).  Regardless they were up by 14 & 10 in the games you cited in the last 2 minutes and neither team recovered on-side kicks or had a chance to go ahead or tie the game.  The Bills didn't even need a first down to secure the game.

Vs. Indy in the playoffs, they almost blew a 14 point lead and if I remember correctly needed one first down to ice the game (and they didn't get it) and frankly held on by their fingernails.  However a win is a win.

McD's career record isn't great either as stated and as I've shown many a few were as I've referred to as backdoor covers.  Bills haven't had a single one.... 

So again I've done the work.... One Score Games

2017 4-3

2018 3-3

2019 4-6

2020 5-1 (two back door covers)

2021 0-5

2022 1-1 (Thread started when 0-1)

Total 17-19 (or 14-19 if remove back door and Baltimore game as thread started prior). 

17/36 = .472 14/33 = .424

Both are well below the Bills winning % over that time, which shows they do proportionally worse in close games vs. expected.  

Sorry if math isn't your strong suit.

Oh...1972 is getting snippy now.  

We were in a major slump for that 7 game skid.  No one has been debating that.  Now if we go on a streak, the % will change.

There is context to everything.  We are up by one score late in the game and get a game sealing TD to put us up two scores or that late FG puts us up by 2 scores.  That counts as a tight game at the end, we just pulled ahead.  Those are not backdoor covers if you pull ahead late in the game.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/9/29/23377661/buffalo-bills-one-score-game-loss-streak

In Week 3, the Buffalo Bills fell to the Miami Dolphins in the sweltering heat of South Florida. The loss dropped the Bills to 0-7 in their last seven games decided by one score. The narratives have started to swirl on this topic now that it’s reared its ugly head in 2022—this after it was caught lurking in the background during the 2021 season.

Does Buffalo lack the ability to finish? Do they lack poise or composure late in games? Is head coach Sean McDermott not a “big game” coach? No matter how you want to frame the narrative, it’s shown up in one form or another in the immediate aftermath of the loss to their Dolphin-themed division rivals.

But I think the narrative’s lacking context.

The easiest and most common rebuttal is that the Bills were spectacular in one-score games in 2020, going 5-1 with their only loss coming against the Arizona Cardinals on the spectacularly named “Hail Murray” throw to wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins. The head coach in 2020 was the same. The defensive coordinator was the same. The quarterback was the same. The offensive coordinator is now different, but if you were trying to isolate that as the variable, it would only apply to the most recent loss to Miami and not to any of the losses in 2021 (when Buffalo was 0-6 in one-score games). Did all of these people involved magically lose their “clutch gene” in the two years that have passed since the COVID-19-affected 2020 season? It feels unlikely, but let’s go further. In the last three years (since quarterback Josh Allen transcended to MVP-level play and the Bills became a meaningful Super Bowl contender), the team is 9-14 in one-score games overall. It may seem even with a larger sample size that Buffalo is failing to capitalize in the clutch.

When prognosticators look for regression candidates among good NFL teams from one year to the next, one key point of emphasis is that a high winning percentage in one-score games isn’t a sustainable metric. In this article from Pickswise, they estimate that one-score games are essentially a coin flip—that teams could expect regression to the mean whether they are exceptionally good or exceptionally bad in winning percentage in those situations in any given season. There is an element of randomness to close games that we as fans frequently aren’t comfortable discussing because it would mean there wasn’t always a solution to a problem. Random ball bounces, penalties called or uncalled in strategically valuable situations, the directional doink of a field goal, and other random factors affect one-score games in a meaningful way every single week in the NFL.

So how does a team go about trying to remove this randomness from the game?

They blow teams out. Don’t let the randomness affect the win-loss column. The Bills have been doing an exceptional job of that for some time now. On average, between 50-60% of NFL games are decided by one score or less in any given season. In 2020, Buffalo ranked fifth in the NFL with an average scoring differential of +6.8—just within the “one-score” boundary. In 2021, that number grew to +11.5. In 2022 thus far, that number has ballooned even further to +17.7. In 2020, 37.5% of Buffalo Bills games were decided by one score. In 2021, it was 29.4%. Acknowledging the randomness associated with one-score games and not falling into the “any given Sunday” trap is a better solution that playing with fire week over week and hoping your “clutch gene” carries you through time and time again.

“But Bruce, the Bills will play better teams in the playoffs and they’ll need to win close games.”

The average margin of victory in NFL playoff games over a ten-year period studied by Stats on Tapp indicated that postseason games, as a whole, didn’t have a markedly different margin of average victory than a typical NFL regular season.

So we know that, over a large enough sample size, the 9-14 record the Bills boast with a good QB and a good coach in one-score games isn’t egregious enough to make a narrative out of compared to the rest of the NFL. We know that victory in one-score games carries much more randomness than we would care to admit. And we know that avoiding one-score games as much as Buffalo has been doing for the last three years is the BEST path to victory.

I’m not willing to go searching for a solution to a problem that I’m not sure actually yet exists.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh...1972 is getting snippy now.  

We were in a major slump for that 7 game skid.  No one has been debating that.  Now if we go on a streak, the % will change.

There is context to everything.  We are up by one score late in the game and get a game sealing TD to put us up two scores or that late FG puts us up by 2 scores.  That counts as a tight game at the end, we just pulled ahead.  Those are not backdoor covers if you pull ahead late in the game.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/9/29/23377661/buffalo-bills-one-score-game-loss-streak

In Week 3, the Buffalo Bills fell to the Miami Dolphins in the sweltering heat of South Florida. The loss dropped the Bills to 0-7 in their last seven games decided by one score. The narratives have started to swirl on this topic now that it’s reared its ugly head in 2022—this after it was caught lurking in the background during the 2021 season.

Does Buffalo lack the ability to finish? Do they lack poise or composure late in games? Is head coach Sean McDermott not a “big game” coach? No matter how you want to frame the narrative, it’s shown up in one form or another in the immediate aftermath of the loss to their Dolphin-themed division rivals.

But I think the narrative’s lacking context.

The easiest and most common rebuttal is that the Bills were spectacular in one-score games in 2020, going 5-1 with their only loss coming against the Arizona Cardinals on the spectacularly named “Hail Murray” throw to wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins. The head coach in 2020 was the same. The defensive coordinator was the same. The quarterback was the same. The offensive coordinator is now different, but if you were trying to isolate that as the variable, it would only apply to the most recent loss to Miami and not to any of the losses in 2021 (when Buffalo was 0-6 in one-score games). Did all of these people involved magically lose their “clutch gene” in the two years that have passed since the COVID-19-affected 2020 season? It feels unlikely, but let’s go further. In the last three years (since quarterback Josh Allen transcended to MVP-level play and the Bills became a meaningful Super Bowl contender), the team is 9-14 in one-score games overall. It may seem even with a larger sample size that Buffalo is failing to capitalize in the clutch.

When prognosticators look for regression candidates among good NFL teams from one year to the next, one key point of emphasis is that a high winning percentage in one-score games isn’t a sustainable metric. In this article from Pickswise, they estimate that one-score games are essentially a coin flip—that teams could expect regression to the mean whether they are exceptionally good or exceptionally bad in winning percentage in those situations in any given season. There is an element of randomness to close games that we as fans frequently aren’t comfortable discussing because it would mean there wasn’t always a solution to a problem. Random ball bounces, penalties called or uncalled in strategically valuable situations, the directional doink of a field goal, and other random factors affect one-score games in a meaningful way every single week in the NFL.

So how does a team go about trying to remove this randomness from the game?

They blow teams out. Don’t let the randomness affect the win-loss column. The Bills have been doing an exceptional job of that for some time now. On average, between 50-60% of NFL games are decided by one score or less in any given season. In 2020, Buffalo ranked fifth in the NFL with an average scoring differential of +6.8—just within the “one-score” boundary. In 2021, that number grew to +11.5. In 2022 thus far, that number has ballooned even further to +17.7. In 2020, 37.5% of Buffalo Bills games were decided by one score. In 2021, it was 29.4%. Acknowledging the randomness associated with one-score games and not falling into the “any given Sunday” trap is a better solution that playing with fire week over week and hoping your “clutch gene” carries you through time and time again.

“But Bruce, the Bills will play better teams in the playoffs and they’ll need to win close games.”

The average margin of victory in NFL playoff games over a ten-year period studied by Stats on Tapp indicated that postseason games, as a whole, didn’t have a markedly different margin of average victory than a typical NFL regular season.

So we know that, over a large enough sample size, the 9-14 record the Bills boast with a good QB and a good coach in one-score games isn’t egregious enough to make a narrative out of compared to the rest of the NFL. We know that victory in one-score games carries much more randomness than we would care to admit. And we know that avoiding one-score games as much as Buffalo has been doing for the last three years is the BEST path to victory.

I’m not willing to go searching for a solution to a problem that I’m not sure actually yet exists.

Great you found an article that tries to support your theory.  The Bills are a very good/great team and thus even though should win as per the article .500 (since random),  they have not (and that included the terrible 2018 season).  2019-2022 they've been even worse, so that goes against the "random" theory.  I showed that 2021 all the good teams were actually even better than .500 in these situations.  The ONLY outlier being Buffalo.  How does that happen according to the above?  Probably because it is not right or was 2021 such an unusual year?

And again the back door td's the Raiders & Miami scored really are as I stated redundant when the win probabilities were in both cases over 95%.

Oh and the playoffs are only good teams playing so yes there will be 1 win and 1 loss in these close games.

But as of October 2022 the Bills are 1.000, so I'm pumped......😉

BTW I did not start the thread or get too involved in it until this point, but there is no doubt it is an issue and exacerbated by 13 seconds which was 100% a coaching meltdown.

Edited by Billsfan1972

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

2020 btw they were 5-1, however as stated two were the result of last 2 minute TD's by Miami & Raiders (backdoor covers), which mean very little. They beat LA Rams, NE & Indy in the playoffs (again had a 14 point lead in the fourth, won by 3).   

I don't think it's so much "hating the idea of one questioning McD", at least not me anyways.....it's about the fact that the "Bills can't win close games" or the "0-7" is being based off last season which is clearly irrelevant to this season. It comes off like just because they struggled in close games last season it means they will this season.

14 hours ago, teef said:

he doesn't understand.  literally the only point being made was including more than 2021 while evaluating mcd in close games.  nothing more, nothing less.  people who were just throwing out the comment that mcd is 0-whatever in close games weren't being completely honest, and needed to include his entire tenure here.  he since included states that don't have anything to do with this argument, and then becomes angry and insulting when you explain they have no purpose.  he just can't comprehend what's being discussed.  

At the end of the day all that really matters is how many 300 yard passing games Josh had in those one score games.

14 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Football is not life. For us fans anyways. Neither are forums. Or, I sure hope it isn't for anyone here.

Unfortunately its about all I got left.  Im bored af.  Its this or TV.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Do that for all teams.  How many other teams one score games were "back door covers?"  Third time I am asking.

Secondly in at least the Rams and Indy games the other team did have a chance to win it at the end.  The Bills held.  Dont remember the NE game so I dont know.

Losing close games isnt always indicative of coaching.  A lot of times its execution.  Is it McDs fault that Josh didn't score in the Titans game? 13 seconds I lean towards it was his fault.  He should have made sure his players were in position to stop that. Especially after using time outs. You whine about something different every year with McD.  One year its McD's fault that Josh doesnt have 300 yard games.  This year it's because of last years one score games.

The concept isn't over anyones head.  It just doesnt matter.

Edited by Scott7975

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Are you claiming the Indy playoff game wasn’t that close? Lol the colts had a late drive to outright win the game. 

I still don’t really understand why we’re holding it against our team for winning by more points.  Those razor thin winning margins you’re talking about after negating the ‘back door covers’ have just as much to do with luck as skill…which is why you usually see that metric even out over time.  

example: we dominated Miami and lost and baltimore played us very tough and we won.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Do that for all teams.  How many other teams one score games were "back door covers?"  Third time I am asking.

Secondly in at least the Rams and Indy games the other team did have a chance to win it at the end.  The Bills held.  Dont remember the NE game so I dont know.

Losing close games isnt always indicative of coaching.  A lot of times its execution.  Is it McDs fault that Josh didn't score in the Titans game? 13 seconds I lean towards it was his fault.  He should have made sure his players were in position to stop that. Especially after using time outs. You whine about something different every year with McD.  One year its McD's fault that Josh doesnt have 300 yard games.  This year it's because of last years one score games.

The concept isn't over anyones head.  It just doesnt matter.

Why don't you do the work and see what I have stated.  I cited in 2021 all the best teams did well in close games, except the Bills, but somehow that has no merit.  Under McD their record too is bad in close games.  I then explained back door covers and again noted the Bills didn't have one where they scored to make a game look closer.  The Miami game they did score two fourth quarter tds, and actually were the better team throughout, bit regardless the last Miami td, was with under 1 minute and meant something only to bettors.

Read my posts I have not whined about McD for a long time.  I joined this discussion on p.13 and did not question McD.  However facts are facts.

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Are you claiming the Indy playoff game wasn’t that close? Lol the colts had a late drive to outright win the game. 

I still don’t really understand why we’re holding it against our team for winning by more points.  Those razor thin winning margins you’re talking about after negating the ‘back door covers’ have just as much to do with luck as skill…which is why you usually see that metric even out over time.  

example: we dominated Miami and lost and baltimore played us very tough and we won.

The Indy game, yes they almost blew a 14 point lead in the 4th.  That would have been devastating.

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why don't you do the work and see what I have stated.  I cited in 2021 all the best teams did well in close games, except the Bills, but somehow that has no merit.  Under McD their record too is bad in close games.  I then explained back door covers and again noted the Bills didn't have one where they scored to make a game look closer.  The Miami game they did score two fourth quarter tds, and actually were the better team throughout, bit regardless the last Miami td, was with under 1 minute and meant something only to bettors.

Read my posts I have not whined about McD for a long time.  I joined this discussion on p.13 and did not question McD.  However facts are facts.

Facts are facts. But the 2021 stat is meaningless on its own. It offers you no insight into anything. If the evidence says they have been good in close games every other year of a coach's reign then it is safe to assume the one year is to some extent anomalous. I don't understand what bit of that you are not grasping? 

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Facts are facts. But the 2021 stat is meaningless on its own. It offers you no insight into anything. If the evidence says they have been good in close games every other year of a coach's reign then it is safe to assume the one year is to some extent anomalous. I don't understand what bit of that you are not grasping? 

So showing the Bills record in close games is not good, and citing stats mean nothing? This is getting old.  The 2021 5-1 record as said was not as good as it looked and have yes talked about two games that the Bills won comfortably but looked closer on paper.  

Sorry tds scored the last two minutes when you can't get the ball back (outside an onside kick) are not really close.  

Almost blowing a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter brings up other questions which I never commented on, just pointing out now what would have been a terrible loss.

And again how many times have I said McD has grown on me and still people see red when I question anything?  This entire thread I haven't outside just stating a fact that the Bills have not been good in close games.

BTW in the playoffs the Bills are 1-3 in one score games under McD.  

Edited by Billsfan1972

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So showing the Bills record in close games is not good, and citing stats mean nothing? This is getting old.  The 2021 5-1 record as said was not as good as it looked and have yes talked about two games that the Bills won comfortably but looked closer on paper.  

Sorry tds scored the last two minutes when you can't get the ball back (outside an onside kick) are not really close.  

Almost blowing a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter brings up other questions which I bever commented on, just pointingout now.

And again how many times have I said McD has grown on me and still people see red when I question anything?  This entire thread I haven't  outside just stating a fact that the Bills have not been good in close games.

BTW in the playoffs the Bills are 1-3 in one score games under McD.  

because when you're arguing your case, common sense and reasoning seem to fly out the window.  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.