We don't have the mentality to win close games

UKBillFan

18 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

in the regular season they were 4-5 in 2019, 6-1 in 2020 , 0-6, in 2021 and 1-1 in 2022. In 2019, they lost a one scroe playoff game tot he Texans, 2020, they picked up a one score playoff win against the colts and in 2021 a one score loss against the chiefs. Data including all games looks like this

17: 0,1,0,1,1,1,1,0
18: 1,0,1,0,0,1
19:  1,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0
20: 1,1,1,1,1,1,0,1
21: 0,0,0,0,0,0,
22: 0,1,

it's  a 19-21 record from 2017 to date including playoffs.

It's not my "analysis" it's just the common results everyone is referencing. I didn't discover it or create it. Also, there are 7 in a row if you count the playoffs or you don't, it just pushing the data tot he left or right.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Last year we lost a strange number of one score games. There year before we WON a strange number of one score games. If you want to look at the past, I think you have to look at the overall big picture and the trend. This year we are 1-1 in one score games, which brings us back to about the norm. 

I can’t look at just 2020 and say we were great, and ignore 2021. I think it is just as flawed to look only at 2021 and ignore 2020. 

Already done.

I think it might be more useful to look at game "clinched" vs "squandered" though, because as mentioned before you have some games that end on things like defensive touchdowns or broken play runs where they were really 1 score games until the last minute, and then back door covers where they were really multi-score games with no chance of being won.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If every good team is able to win close games but the Bills that means nothing to you? I've said I'm looking forward,  

And I love that it doesn't matter what other teams do. Can't argue that point🤣

If you're OK losing close games all the power to you.

He's been a coach for 5 seasons and you focus on one year.  He was 5-1 in one score games in 2020 but we are going to completely ignore that.  That one loss was a Hail Murray.  Since week 4 in 2022, we are 1-0 in one score games.  If you're going to start with just 2021, I will start last week.  See how that works?

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Last year we lost a strange number of one score games. There year before we WON a strange number of one score games. If you want to look at the past, I think you have to look at the overall big picture and the trend. This year we are 1-1 in one score games, which brings us back to about the norm. 

I can’t look at just 2020 and say we were great, and ignore 2021. I think it is just as flawed to look only at 2021 and ignore 2020. 

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's been a coach for 5 seasons and you focus on one year.  He was 5-1 in one score games in 2020 but we are going to completely ignore that.  That one loss was a Hail Murray.  Since week 4 in 2022, we are 1-0 in one score games.  If you're going to start with just 2021, I will start next week.  See how that works?

he doesn't understand.  literally the only point being made was including more than 2021 while evaluating mcd in close games.  nothing more, nothing less.  people who were just throwing out the comment that mcd is 0-whatever in close games weren't being completely honest, and needed to include his entire tenure here.  he since included states that don't have anything to do with this argument, and then becomes angry and insulting when you explain they have no purpose.  he just can't comprehend what's being discussed.  

7 minutes ago, teef said:

he doesn't understand.  literally the only point being made was including more than 2021 while evaluating mcd in close games.  nothing more, nothing less.  people who were just throwing out the comment that mcd is 0-whatever in close games weren't being completely honest, and needed to include his entire tenure here.  he since included states that don't have anything to do with this argument, and then becomes angry and insulting when you explain they have no purpose.  he just can't comprehend what's being discussed.  

I guess we have to decide if he is unable, or unwilling since it might mess up a narrative. 

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

I guess we have to decide if he is unable, or unwilling since it might mess up a narrative. 

i'm with royal with on this one.  this is a trend for him, yet it's everyone else's inability to understand.

Stats don't work.  Other teams success means nothing.  Career reviews are skewed to fit some narrative.  

Facts and actual results mean nothing to some people.

2020 the only game they won the last minute was vs. LA.  They held on vs. NE and yes the Hail Murray.

2021 was some bad luck, breaks if we want to call th that, but also some that the Bills really have only themselves to blame.

Just admit that.

I give up.....  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Football is not life. For us fans anyways. Neither are forums. Or, I sure hope it isn't for anyone here.

not so much football, but rather being able to carry on a simple conversation and following what is being discussed.  we presented an extremely simple premise, that the op would not refute or reasonably discuss.  he didn't answer the most basic of questions, got combative, added in information that didn't have anything to do with the discussion, and became upset when he was called out on it.  

football is not life.  being able to communicate in a reasonable manner is, (and that's coming from me).

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Stats don't work.  Other teams success means nothing.  Career reviews are skewed to fit some narrative.  

2020 the only game they won the last minute was vs. LA.  They held on vs. NE and yes the Hail Murray.

2021 was some bad luck, breaks if we want to call th that, but also some that the Bills really have only themselves to blame.

Just admit that.

I give up.....  

see?

the only things we've all said is that when evaluating mcd in close games, we should look at his entire career here.  do you agree with that or not? 

23 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Just admit that.

I give up.....  

And one year doesn't fit a narrative?  Seriously?  How many people have to argue with you to understand how flaw your reasonings are?  It's been years of this.

This thread is about close games.  Close games are within one score.  We were 5-1 in 2020.  

Why does only 2021 apply and not 2020?  

25 minutes ago, teef said:

not so much football, but rather being able to carry on a simple conversation and following what is being discussed.  we presented an extremely simple premise, that the op would not refute or reasonably discuss.  he didn't answer the most basic of questions, got combative, added in information that didn't have anything to do with the discussion, and became upset when he was called out on it.  

football is not life.  being able to communicate in a reasonable manner is, (and that's coming from me).

see?

the only things we've all said is that when evaluating mcd in close games, we should look at his entire career here.  do you agree with that or not? 

Josh Allen isn't that good against the Patriots because in 2018, he wasn't.  Doesn't matter what he's done in his career against them, I'm just going to use 2018.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And one year doesn't fit a narrative?  Seriously?  How many people have to argue with you to understand how flaw your reasonings are?  It's been years of this.

This thread is about close games.  Close games are within one score.  We were 5-1 in 2020.  

Why does only 2021 apply and not 2020?  

Josh Allen isn't that good against the Patriots because in 2018, he wasn't.  Doesn't matter what he's done in his career against them, I'm just going to use 2018.

you know what he's doing.  he's avoiding a simple yes or no question, because he'll have to admit it's not correct to only evaluate one season when evaluating this kind of stat.  i'm not even saying mcd is good or bad at close games over that time...only that you have to look at his entire tenure here.  either he agrees with that or he doesn't.   instead of providing a simple answer, he starts adding stats of other teams during 2021 as if it helps his argument is some way.  what other teams did doesn't have any bearing whether you include one year or all of the year in a coaches career.  i have no idea why he brought it up.

i'll just wait for him to answer a yes or no to me, which we all know he won't do.  it would be to easy.

1 minute ago, Bandito said:

Thank you for standing up against the holier than thou's on here. You should be commended for that at the very least.

lol.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Last year we lost a strange number of one score games. The year before we WON a strange number of one score games. If you want to look at the past, I think you have to look at the overall big picture and the trend. This year we are 1-1 in one score games, which brings us back to about the norm. 

You could not be more correct here. Last years close games keep getting brought up while not acknowledging the one before winning those close games. It's like they want to look to the past at close losses, but not the wins lol

15 minutes ago, Bandito said:

I figured you'd appreciate the troll of a troll yourself! Go Bills

do you even understand what's being discussed?  then answer the question yourself.  when evaluating mcd for wins/loses, would it be more accurate to evaluate one year or all of his years?  if you can't answer, just move on.  

6 minutes ago, Bandito said:

do you want cheese with your whine? I enjoyed the interaction, that is all. Moving on. Go Bills

see?  it's amazing how certain posters just won't answer the question.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.