The Ripoff Report - Week 2

WhitewalkerInPhilly

Because the more talented and vetted commentators are still being productive citizens and I need by fix:

• I confess, midway through the second quarter I was an irritable mess. I have seen a certain script play out once too often: the Bills, despite being an objectively better team, were being stopped. Injuries were going to pile up and the Titans were going to steal one from us. Again. And then, little by little, the grip tightened. The broadcasters called it "suffocating" and it's not a bad analogy. The Rams and Titans were able to thrash around, fighting for dear life to keep is close until little by little they exhausted themselves and went limp. The Bills have the depth that even if teams bring everything in the early rounds, but the end they are punching just as hard as the start.
  • Speaking of the broadcasters, was it me or was that cringeworthy? I kept hearing every opportunity to bash the Bills early about being annointed too early in a game that they never trailed in. I mean, try to be a bit objective. They then had to pad time talking about why Josh Allen is why you don't give up on young QBs. I hope this gets better next week.
  • Speaking of next week, that's looking like a game with playoff implications. I was not expecting that. 
  • My memories of the Kelly era Bills are dim, but I cannot think of a player quite like Josh Allen has been playing. Even Mahomes, as great as he is, doesn't seem quite the same type of player as what we are seeing. Is it me, or has Josh been making more adjustments at the line than in previous years? Or is it that it now seems like he's nailing the right choice so often that I'm noticing it more? Either way, even though he ran once it was at the perfect time in a key situation.
  • Single off coverage on Stephon Diggs? Yes please. I am not even mad that Josh didn't distribute it more (which he did, just not at a huge volume). If teams are consistently giving your WR1 easy matchups, you take it.
  • I once again pound the table for the FB position. Gilliam very nearly had two touchdowns. One the one he did get, I was sure that was a tackle for a loss and that he managed to bulldoze out of it is going to give defensive coordinators nightmares.
  • Speaking of giving defensive coordinators nightmares (yes, I am repeating this) Dorsey has not missed a beat. Give credit to Daboll for building up this scheme, but Dorsey has found a new gear. I have been pumping the breaks on the idea that we might lose him, but I think he at least gets some interviews.
  • At this point, I am not against bringing in a street free agent like Joe Haden at CB. Is it a waste of a roster spot? Is he going to be a liability long term? Maybe. But I do not like running out two rookies as our starting outside corners next week, and there is no way that Jackson is 100% by next week and we have no guarantees that Tre is ready to go week 5.
  • I don't want to hear any comments about Edmunds for hitting his teammate. The Titans live on broken tackles, and that kind of mentality that we needed to stop Henry doesn't go off like a switch. It's tragic and terrifying, but this is the game. If you feel bad, then let's give defenses more room to breathe in the rules.
  • Von Miller continues to look like an excellent choice, and it looks like Rousseau is coming along nicely. I was worried about our D-line, but hopefully we are back to full this Sunday.
  • This team has the potential to be something. To steal from a legend "These guys are good. Scary good"
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Because the more talented and vetted commentators are still being productive citizens and I need by fix:

• I confess, midway through the second quarter I was an irritable mess. I have seen a certain script play out once too often: the Bills, despite being an objectively better team, were being stopped. Injuries were going to pile up and the Titans were going to steal one from us. Again. And then, little by little, the grip tightened. The broadcasters called it "suffocating" and it's not a bad analogy. The Rams and Titans were able to thrash around, fighting for dear life to keep is close until little by little they exhausted themselves and went limp. The Bills have the depth that even if teams bring everything in the early rounds, but the end they are punching just as hard as the start.
  • Speaking of the broadcasters, was it me or was that cringeworthy? I kept hearing every opportunity to bash the Bills early about being annointed too early in a game that they never trailed in. I mean, try to be a bit objective. They then had to pad time talking about why Josh Allen is why you don't give up on young QBs. I hope this gets better next week.
  • Speaking of next week, that's looking like a game with playoff implications. I was not expecting that. 
  • My memories of the Kelly era Bills are dim, but I cannot think of a player quite like Josh Allen has been playing. Even Mahomes, as great as he is, doesn't seem quite the same type of player as what we are seeing. Is it me, or has Josh been making more adjustments at the line than in previous years? Or is it that it now seems like he's nailing the right choice so often that I'm noticing it more? Either way, even though he ran once it was at the perfect time in a key situation.
  • Single off coverage on Stephon Diggs? Yes please. I am not even mad that Josh didn't distribute it more (which he did, just not at a huge volume). If teams are consistently giving your WR1 easy matchups, you take it.
  • I once again pound the table for the FB position. Gilliam very nearly had two touchdowns. One the one he did get, I was sure that was a tackle for a loss and that he managed to bulldoze out of it is going to give defensive coordinators nightmares.
  • Speaking of giving defensive coordinators nightmares (yes, I am repeating this) Dorsey has not missed a beat. Give credit to Daboll for building up this scheme, but Dorsey has found a new gear. I have been pumping the breaks on the idea that we might lose him, but I think he at least gets some interviews.
  • At this point, I am not against bringing in a street free agent like Joe Haden at CB. Is it a waste of a roster spot? Is he going to be a liability long term? Maybe. But I do not like running out two rookies as our starting outside corners next week, and there is no way that Jackson is 100% by next week and we have no guarantees that Tre is ready to go week 5.
  • I don't want to hear any comments about Edmunds for hitting his teammate. The Titans live on broken tackles, and that kind of mentality that we needed to stop Henry doesn't go off like a switch. It's tragic and terrifying, but this is the game. If you feel bad, then let's give defenses more room to breathe in the rules.
  • Von Miller continues to look like an excellent choice, and it looks like Rousseau is coming along nicely. I was worried about our D-line, but hopefully we are back to full this Sunday.
  • This team has the potential to be something. To steal from a legend "These guys are good. Scary good"

I can see Miami making the playoffs and even being one of those teams you don't want to play - i can't see them winning like 12+ games though.  Its a long season, they don't run the ball very well (and don't have a QB who can), and the defense is just not very intimidating.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I can see Miami making the playoffs and even being one of those teams you don't want to play - i can't see them winning like 12+ games though.  Its a long season, they don't run the ball very well (and don't have a QB who can), and the defense is just not very intimidating.  

I don't think so either. But beating us early makes it harder for us to snag the lead, and would help them on playoff seeding.

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yeah maybe...I just think Tua is a lot closer to the QB you saw all last season and for the first 7 quarters this season than the one you saw in the 4th quarter last game. Still makes a lot of boneheaded decisions and plays that aren't smart.  Also any throw over 20 yards looks like a punt. And their defense is what it is...they beat weak opponents and get smoked by good offenses.

• Agree 1

The narrative about not giving up on young QB’s as related to Josh is completely idiotic.

His rookie season he was just above 50% and 10td, 12 int.  Since the he has been 58%, 69%, 63% and 75% (this season) completion rate.  TD’s/int ratio has been great since his rookie year.

There is a nameless rabble of crappy young QB’s who were given years of play as bad, or worse as Josh’s rookie year before the plug was pulled.  Josh never looked terrible.  His rookie year wasn’t great, but he’s has shown great improvement every season.  

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah maybe...I just think Tua is a lot closer to the QB you saw all last season and for the first 7 quarters this season than the one you saw in the 4th quarter last game. Still makes a lot of boneheaded decisions and plays that aren't smart.  Also any throw over 20 yards looks like a punt. And their defense is what it is...they beat weak opponents and get smoked by good offenses.

Maybe there is already analysis of the Ravens' defensive mistakes in that 4th quarter. My guess is that their new DC, a Martindale and Pees disciple, made the mistake of continuing to blitz Tua and 1v1 Hill and Waddle were enough to burn them deep.

This would be the opposite of what Frazier and McDermott want to do in most situations, and thus while there's a good chance you'll see Hill and Waddle make some hay against green corners, they will play heavy coverage hoping to put Tua under distress through the front 4.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

•  
  •  

I had to mute the TV  and listen to XM radio and the Bills broadcast.

Just now, pocoboy said:

Maybe there is already analysis of the Ravens' defensive mistakes in that 4th quarter. My guess is that their new DC, a Martindale and Pees disciple, made the mistake of continuing to blitz Tua and 1v1 Hill and Waddle were enough to burn them deep.

This would be the opposite of what Frazier and McDermott want to do in most situations, and thus there's a good chance you'll see Hill and Waddle make some hay against green corners, they will play heavy coverage hoping to put Tua under distress through the front 4.

It was literally the worst DB play I have ever seen in an NFL game in the last quarter and a half.  Just couldn't even execute basic coverages...deep posts getting wide open in Cover 3 which is nearly impossible, busted coverages all over the place...just embarrassing.  That is stuff you see in bad college schools who are overmatched against better teams, not NFL games.

• Agree 1

We're all on cloud nine right now after the first couple of primetime blowout wins.  But we've still got a freaking gauntlet of games against talented and/or physical teams the next few weeks. 

If we can make it through the GB game at 5-2, we're in prime position.  But it truly is a one-week-at-a-time mentality that's going to get us the Lombardi Trophy.  I think that the team and coaching staff knows this and preaches it constantly

Next week will be a test, but we've been in this position for.  Tua hasn't - and that's going to turn out to be the difference

I think this team is locked in and I don't expect to have a game like last season's Jags or Steelers this season.  They are going to lose some games this season because there are too many talented teams in the AFC and the "any given Sunday" rule always applies, but I don't think the Bills will no-show a game.   They know home field advantage is at stake every week and they want the road to the Super Bowl to go through Orchard Park in January not Arrowhead.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

30 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

We're all on cloud nine right now after the first couple of primetime blowout wins.  But we've still got a freaking gauntlet of games against talented and/or physical teams the next few weeks. 

If we can make it through the GB game at 5-2, we're in prime position.  But it truly is a one-week-at-a-time mentality that's going to get us the Lombardi Trophy.  I think that the team and coaching staff knows this and preaches it constantly

Next week will be a test, but we've been in this position for.  Tua hasn't - and that's going to turn out to be the difference

Definitely Miami's best chance since Allen's taken over the division. The Bills defense needs to minimize any mistakes in the defensive backfield. This game becomes a lot more hairy (in my opinion) if it's close at the end - from watching the end of Dolphins/Ravens, McDaniel has a very good grasp on the tactical side of head coaching - which is probably McDermott's biggest weakness.

The last thing you want is for this team to get sloppy & give Miami a chance. And so far the talent gap they enjoy has overcome the sloppy times in the first two contests.

Edited by pocoboy

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It was literally the worst DB play I have ever seen in an NFL game in the last quarter and a half.  Just couldn't even execute basic coverages...deep posts getting wide open in Cover 3 which is nearly impossible, busted coverages all over the place...just embarrassing.  That is stuff you see in bad college schools who are overmatched against better teams, not NFL games.

Agree.

I am NOT sold on Tua, he had one miraculous quarter where the defense gifted him big opportunities, to his credit he took advantage of it.  Lets see what he can do against a real D.  Hopefully our young DBs can perform.

A key is going to be our pass rush, if we can get have of the productivity from our front four that he has in LA, Tua could crumble.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agree.

I am NOT sold on Tua, he had one miraculous quarter where the defense gifted him big opportunities, to his credit he took advantage of it.  Lets see what he can do against a real D.  Hopefully our young DBs can perform.

I am not sold on Tua either. The Ravens play aggressive man coverage while the Bills play suffocating zone, which should limit those kind of comebacks.

But I have to admit, every knock that I have had against Tua I can point to Josh. I am not saying they are the same, but yeah, it took Josh until his 3rd year and a legit elite #1 season to blossom into the massive talent he is today. Can Tua do the same? Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

thanks for stepping up for these weekly narratives, missed it last week.  I know these are very time consuming, but as a schlub who doesn't have the energy or desire to scrutinize games as closely as others, the recaps are greatly appreciated.  I look forward to them every week!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

thanks for stepping up for these weekly narratives, missed it last week.  I know these are very time consuming, but as a schlub who doesn't have the energy or desire to scrutinize games as closely as others, the recaps are greatly appreciated.  I look forward to them every week!

Virgil and Shaw are still princes, I just have been bursting at the seams. That's a good thing about primetime games, that I have the night to think it over instead of needing to take care of real life things.

26 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am not sold on Tua either. The Ravens play aggressive man coverage while the Bills play suffocating zone, which should limit those kind of comebacks.

But I have to admit, every knock that I have had against Tua I can point to Josh. I am not saying they are the same, but yeah, it took Josh until his 3rd year and a legit elite #1 season to blossom into the massive talent he is today. Can Tua do the same? Time will tell.

I don't like picking on people because of their DNA, afterall heart counts for something, but Tua is too limited by his size and athletic ability to be in the same conversation as Allen. Tua's ceiling is average/competent NFL QB. However, with the weapons the Fins have that may be enough for him to put up good numbers. Time will tell; however, Josh and Tua don't belong, even as raw prospects, in the same conversation. 

I keep thinking back to the Bills/Chiefs game and how Tyreek Hill killed us...and am worried a little about him, especially given the performance he had statistically against the Ravens, who are usually pretty good defensively.  Then I watched this play in particular a few times and am relieved that there's no way either of our rookie CBs will be in man-to-man against him with zero safety help.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OAbV5btMmo

The first quarter last night, the Bills played sloppy, tight, too-juiced.  When they figured out they only had to play the way they can play, everything turned out fine.

The Bills just need to play Miami like the Ravens did the first three quarters.  Mahomes/Hill/Kelce >>> Tua/Hill/Waddle    But we're getting very thin at CB, now needing to start two rookies.  If Micah Hyde is OK, though, the team D should prevail.

1 hour ago, inthebuff said:

I keep thinking back to the Bills/Chiefs game and how Tyreek Hill killed us...and am worried a little about him, especially given the performance he had statistically against the Ravens, who are usually pretty good defensively.  Then I watched this play in particular a few times and am relieved that there's no way either of our rookie CBs will be in man-to-man against him with zero safety help.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OAbV5btMmo

Even if one of our CBs was man to man against Hill or Waddle with no safety help, that CB would KNOW he had no safety help and would play the receiver the whole way.  That play was just a boneheaded rookie mistake PLUS a boneheaded safety mistake.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.