Contract Restructures

marck

If the Bills restructure let’s say Tredavious’s deal at add another 6.5 million in cap space do you think it’s money for next year, an extension for Edmunds or Poyer or to bring in another higher priced player in a trade.

Just now, marck said:

If the Bills restructure let’s say Tredavious’s deal at add another 6.5 million in cap space do you think it’s money for next year, an extension for Edmunds or Poyer or to bring in another higher priced player in a trade.

I'm good with that idea.  I would restructure Tre since he's worked his tail off to come back. Reward him with $$$ then a Poyer extension with good amount of guaranteed $$$$. That would really boost team morale.  You could look to acquire a player. Personally I wouldn't mind another good veteran DE via trade.  I don't have enough confidence in anyone after Von and Greg.  I wanted to sign Carlos Dunlap.  We should also add OBJ 

• Agree 1

If we freed up cap space and didn't spend it on our own players, I think it could have a negative impact on the locker room.  We have 4 key (and beloved amongst their teammates) players in that locker room, 2 from each side of the ball, in need of a new contract:  Poyer, Edmunds, Knox, and Devin...not mention Ed Oliver will be in his 5th year option next year and in line for a new deal.  So, I would be shocked if we restructured and then spent the money on someone outside the team.  

If we free any cap space up, my guess is Poyer gets an extension before the season starts.  I think the plan is to wait and see how this season plays out with the other 3 right now.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, marck said:

Right now we don't have enough cap space once 53man roster kicks in + PS starts to count.

Plus we need some space for in season moves - when someone goes to IR for 3 weeks you need to replace him and it costs money.

So neither of your options.

And fwiw, any extension will likely LOWER cap hit for said player, so no need to create cap space for those. What Beane said today lowers the chance that Poyer is extended before season starts.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If we freed up cap space and didn't spend it on our own players, I think it could have a negative impact on the locker room.  We have 4 key (and beloved amongst their teammates) players in that locker room, 2 from each side of the ball, in need of a new contract:  Poyer, Edmunds, Knox, and Devin...not mention Ed Oliver will be in his 5th year option next year and in line for a new deal.  So, I would be shocked if we restructured and then spent the money on someone outside the team.  

If we free any cap space up, my guess is Poyer gets an extension before the season starts.  I think the plan is to wait and see how this season plays out with the other 3 right now.  

I think the plan with Po is very much to wait. Ed Oliver will be the #1 priority next offseason. Then Knox, Edmunds and Gabe.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they just need to create space once they need to be under the cap with 53 players because the top 51 rule will go away. They are right against the cap right now. 

But the top 51 are not all making the roster. There are some easy moves. Haack was the first of those.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they just need to create space once they need to be under the cap with 53 players because the top 51 rule will go away. They are right against the cap right now. 

Direct quote from Beane today.  PS also cost a couple of million nowadays.

Tre already had a restructure last year and so have others.  It's time for Dion to get his.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the plan with Po is very much to wait. Ed Oliver will be the #1 priority next offseason. Then Knox, Edmunds and Gabe.

But the top 51 are not all making the roster. There are some easy moves. Haack was the first of those.

If you imply that cutting some players from current top 51 will save us money I think you are wrong. Unless we cut Matakevich or trade Howard we are not saving anything.

Poyer situation is really interesting. You say "wait". I fully agree that the best solution for team is not to extend him this year, and probably not to extend him at all. I don't think we can afford him. However, it is hard to believe that he will just play this season without any realistic extension talks. I would really love to know what is Beane doing re Poyer.

45 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Right now we don't have enough cap space once 53man roster kicks in + PS starts to count.

Plus we need some space for in season moves - when someone goes to IR for 3 weeks you need to replace him and it costs money.

So neither of your options.

And fwiw, any extension will likely LOWER cap hit for said player, so no need to create cap space for those. What Beane said today lowers the chance that Poyer is extended before season starts.

PS players don’t count against the cap. 

54 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If Bean gives Singletary a contract after this year then he’s not the GM I think he is.. keep drafting RBs and rinse n repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

They do. I can't find official rules quickly but just google it every NFL article says and it was like that last year. It will be around $4M this year total.

This is from last September, so if the rules have changed those changes have been implemented only recently:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32256800/why-nfl-practice-squads-loaded-big-name-players-know-how-rules-work-more

How does it work with the salary cap?

Practice squad players do not count against the salary cap. If someone gets promoted to the active roster, he'd be at a minimum salary that wouldn't negatively affect the cap anyway. So this is almost like a tax-free benefit, like airline points and hotel rewards programs.

Just now, K-9 said:

This is from last September, so if the rules have changed those changes have been implemented only recently:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32256800/why-nfl-practice-squads-loaded-big-name-players-know-how-rules-work-more

Google dozen other articles. That one was wrong when released.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Thanks for being the guy to post what has to be said every year. 

FWIW

PS players get paid weekly which comes to $207k per year for each player.

There are 16 of them.

$207,000 x 16 = $3,312,000.

Edited by ColoradoBills
Updated for 2022 PS Salaries

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.