Roe vs Wade Overturned

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

Not every single mother is a "welfare mom"  Doc.

That's kind of a limited view.

I didn't say they all were but let's be real here.  About 90% of abortions in the US are among unmarried women and with that likely increasing in many red states I don't see how that won't be a more heavy burden on the tax payer.  Especially since low income women are the least likely to have the money to both travel to another state and pay for an abortion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

As a taxpayer, does it make more sense as a taxpayer to pay to prevent a pregnancy than pay for 18 years of welfare for single mothers?

Some funds toward prevention are fine imo. The other stuff mentioned? No. 

Prior to Roe v. Wade, 30 states prohibited abortion without exception, 16 states banned abortion except in certain special circumstances (e.g., rape, *****, health threat to mother), 3 states allowed residents to obtain abortions, and New York allowed abortions generally.

In 2018, 77.7% of abortions were performed at 9 weeks or less gestation, and 92.2% of abortions were performed at 13 weeks or less gestation.[7] By 2020, medication abortions accounted for more than 50% of all abortions.[8] Increased access to birth control has been statistically linked to reductions in the abortion rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States#:~:text=Prior to Roe v. Wade,New York allowed abortions generally.

Looks like Congress never dealt with laws on abortion.

Edited by ALF

7 hours ago, ALF said:

Prior to Roe v. Wade, 30 states prohibited abortion without exception, 16 states banned abortion except in certain special circumstances (e.g., rape, *****, health threat to mother), 3 states allowed residents to obtain abortions, and New York allowed abortions generally.

In 2018, 77.7% of abortions were performed at 9 weeks or less gestation, and 92.2% of abortions were performed at 13 weeks or less gestation.[7] By 2020, medication abortions accounted for more than 50% of all abortions.[8] Increased access to birth control has been statistically linked to reductions in the abortion rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States#:~:text=Prior to Roe v. Wade,New York allowed abortions generally.

Looks like Congress never dealt with laws on abortion.

Now the legislative branch is going to have to do their job…and actually legislate! Doesn’t everybody understand that all this is about is a bunch of sleazy politicians (on both sides) hoping that they won’t have to make the tough decisions? It’s way easier to simply collect money for your re-election campaign and then sit there doing nothing but passing laws about dog walking. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

And so the suffering of women and girls begins….

I saw another report of doctors not filling prescriptions for methotrexate which is used to treat many autoimmune diseases. They won’t prescribe it because it is considered an abortifacient. This is just the beginning.

Edited by Andy1

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

I saw another report of doctors not filling prescriptions for methotrexate which is used to treat many autoimmune diseases. They won’t prescribe it because it is considered an abortifacient. This is just the beginning.

Yeah. I'd have more faith in the legislative branch, if it wasn't utterly dysfunctional. Or if the GOP hadn't immediately followed the Roe ruling with calls for a blanket national ban.  We need three working branches of government.

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Oh, they definitely can. 

I just don’t think they will. 

They'll write common sense laws. Its just that their standard for common sense is determined by who votes in their primary. Not who votes in the election. 

Like I said, there are two ways the GOP can ***** up the roll their on.  First is a civil war between Trump and DeSantis (and now maybe Liz Cheney?). The other is overreaching on their Roe win to unify and mobilize democrats. 

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Andy1 said:

No one has been denied this drug, you are quoting people who are afraid it could happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Rheumatologists seeing problems with getting patients methotrexate.

The issue seems to be contingent on the state where a patient lives, says Crow. Because Crow lives in Washington state, where abortion is legal, she hasn’t had any problems getting her RA medication.

“Patients are having difficulty in states that have more strict anti-abortion laws, like Texas and Michigan,” she says. So far Crow has seen or been contacted by people from at least four different states who have had trouble getting their methotrexate.

“Three categories of barriers I've seen are (1) The pharmacist will not physically give the patient the prescribed medication as prescribed by their rheumatologist. (2) The pharmacist is delaying giving the patient methotrexate while they sort through the potential legal issues around giving it to them, which included in one case making sure they had documentation the patient was on birth control, and (3) a rheumatologist saying across the board their entire clinic is currently not prescribing methotrexate due to potential legal issues,” she says.

6 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Was anyone actually prevented from getting methotrexate or is it just that they are worried that it could happen?

FTA:

Is the Panic and Outrage on Social Media Warranted?

As the ACR statement suggests, it is hard to determine the breadth of the problem.

At press time, EH was unable to locate official reports or specific data about methotrexate denials.

Time will reveal more. Nevertheless, the fear is real.

11 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Was anyone actually prevented from getting methotrexate or is it just that they are worried that it could happen?

The article is quoting a rheumatologist saying they are already seeing this. 

For years republicans have said that you can’t trust the government because they are incompetent. Now all of a sudden, they want you to trust them with the health decisions for your wives, girlfriends and daughters. When they are forcing kids to have kids, something is seriously f’d up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

For years republicans have said that you can’t trust the government because they are incompetent. Now all of a sudden, they want you to trust them with the health decisions for your wives, girlfriends and daughters. When they are forcing kids to have kids, something is seriously f’d up.

I couldn’t agree more with you on this issue.  I don’t know that R v Wade guaranteed access to abortion in the time/place of a child’s guardian’s choosing, but that’s a topic for another day.  

In this scenario, would you advocate for full, unrestricted access for abortion thoroughout the entire pregnancy?   Or does the viability of the child come into this discussion somewhere along the line as you mentioned the other day.  

Also, when does childhood end and adulthood begin in this scenario in your opinion?  

ps: Thank goodness for those perpetually happy democrats who love and trust all. 

• Like (+1) 1