Bi-Partisan Gun Safety Reform Reached By Senators

21 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I think the path is short and only smoke screen. There are cultural issues and extremely huge crime issues that are the root causes. 

smoke screen… if you are correct…. Expect to see this hits headlines as ‘landmark’ and “huge win for Biden Administration” etc… 

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

smoke screen… if you are correct…. Expect to see this hits headlines as ‘landmark’ and “huge win for Biden Administration” etc… 

Likely not Biden will say not enough done. No matter what...it is not enough.

Crime gangs and drugs first.

32 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'll be interested to see what The Squad will say about it.  

You don't see Biden pushing a revamped crime bill like he supported in the 90's when the US homicide rate was nearly double what it is today?  I'm kidding.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The root cause of gun violence is not guns. (And I always mention when I post in these threads that I’m not a gun owner.)

I agree. And I am a gun owner.

From what I've read, it focuses mostly on the other issues (mental illness, etc.). It's a start to....something....maybe? 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree. And I am a gun owner.

From what I've read, it focuses mostly on the other issues (mental illness, etc.). It's a start to....something....maybe? 🤷‍♂️

It takes a significant amount of specific desensitization to ‘train’ soldiers to kill even armed enemy combatants let alone innocent unarmed civilians. The same is true for police officers. And all of these trained professionals carry guns. Most people think the training is all about teaching them who NOT to shoot, but in reality the training is just as much about fighting against the god given instinct to NOT kill other people. So…how or why do untrained people let go of that instinct and open fire in an elementary school? Mental illness? Possibly. But it’s more specific than that generalization. Mental hospitals are filled with people who pose no threat to attacking anyone but themselves. The urge to NOT harm other people is very very strong to overcome. But somehow these mass shooters become completely desensitized to committing extreme violence. Want to hazard a guess? 

• Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It takes a significant amount of specific desensitization to ‘train’ soldiers to kill even armed enemy combatants let alone innocent unarmed civilians. The same is true for police officers. And all of these trained professionals carry guns. Most people think the training is all about teaching them who NOT to shoot, but in reality the training is just as much about fighting against the god given instinct to NOT kill other people. So…how or why do untrained people let go of that instinct and open fire in an elementary school? Mental illness? Possibly. But it’s more specific than that generalization. Mental hospitals are filled with people who pose no threat to attacking anyone but themselves. The urge to NOT harm other people is very very strong to overcome. But somehow these mass shooters become completely desensitized to committing extreme violence. Want to hazard a guess? 

Easy.

Mommy issues.

This is what frustrates me about this bill.  The age needs to be raised to 21 for aussault rifles as for reasons I stated earlier in the thread.  Two 18 year olds legally buying assualt rifles and killing a combined 33 people in the span of two weeks inlcuding 19 children   Most of the public obviously agrees but we really can't get 60 Senators to include this provision?  Really?  It just pisses me off.

• Agree 3

Gavin Newsom joins Truth Social to call out 'Republican lies,' perceived 'red state murder problem'

Newsom said that eight out of the top 10 states with the highest murder rates are Republican-run.

He said the "question is simple. What are the laws and policies in those states that are leading to such carnage?" 

Mississippi has the highest homicide mortality rate in the country followed by Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Maryland, Illinois and New Mexico, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. California was 31st on the list. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gavin-newsom-truth-social-republican-lies-red-state-murder-problem

I never knew that

Edited by ALF

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Gavin Newsom joins Truth Social to call out 'Republican lies,' perceived 'red state murder problem'

Newsom said that eight out of the top 10 states with the highest murder rates are Republican-run.

He said the "question is simple. What are the laws and policies in those states that are leading to such carnage?" 

Mississippi has the highest homicide mortality rate in the country followed by Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Maryland, Illinois and New Mexico, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. California was 31st on the list. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gavin-newsom-truth-social-republican-lies-red-state-murder-problem

I never knew that

Murder is definitely a problem that can change drastically by adjacent zip code. You look at Alabama and half of of their murders are in the three truly blue counties in the state 

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2022 at 5:09 AM, ALF said:

I never knew that

There's a DIRECT correlation:

Black population % (ranking and state) - DC would be on this list if it was a state

1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana

4. Maryland

5. Alabama

7. S. Carolina

11. Tennessee

13. Arkansas

15. Illinois 

Hispanic population % (ranking and state)
1. New Mexico 

It has nothing to do with the party leadership. Poverty and socioeconomics plays a MASSIVE part

• Thank you (+1) 1