• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Isn't ESPN owned by Disney?

Yes it is.

EDIT let me clarify.

ABC had bought ESPN a while back. ABC sold 20% of ESPN ownership to NABISCO (?!) Nabisco realized that was not a good portfolio fit and sold their 20% share to Hearst Communications.

Disney bought ABC and all of it's diversified holdings, which included 80% of ESPN.

So:

Disney 80%

Hearst 20%

Disney bought a 50% holding of BAM Tech a European streaming developer.

BAM Tech helped Disney create ESPN+, so I think ESPN+ is 100% owned by Disney.

Confused yet?

Edited by RocCityRoller

42 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I agree about having people with different world views on those shows. That's part of what's wrong with the news in general is CNN or Fox primarily just put on guests that agree with them so they're essentially just talking to themselves and affirming each other. Although I will say now that I've seen clips of Will Cain on Fox News, his ESPN stuff was only a glimpse into the nut job he really is. 

I love the NBA playoffs (I would probably love it in general if I wasn't a Knicks fan) so our views there are probably different, a weaker broadcasting team isn't going to deter me from watching the playoffs. But I do like TNT, especially catching clips of some of the great stuff from their postgame show with Shaq/Barkley/Kenny/Ernie, that team is amazing and hilarious. 

Will Cain is definitely not a nut job, you just don't agree with his views.  

Agreed - Inside the NBA is a show someone who doesn't even like the NBA can watch, it's that good. 

On 5/29/2022 at 10:50 AM, Chandler#81 said:

22,000 viewers/day leaving the network. Once the premiere sports network, has become a complete waste of sports fans time. Granted, streaming is killing cable, but this show has been dying for years. Aside from Wilbon & Cornhieser (which I don’t watch anymore either), I literally can’t stand any of their talking heads. Stephen A?, Keyshawn? Steve Levy? Bayless? Irvin?

Fuggetaboutit !

Clay Travis? This seems like manufactured headlines to me. ESPN is fine. He's had out for them for a while plus he works for their competitor Fox Sports. He's also excessively political for a sports show and that's where his obsession with them began, when Kaepernick was kneeling and ESPN dared to talk about it. He also calls himself a "civil war historian". 

Edited by extrahammer

5 hours ago, wppete said:

I never brought up net profit bud. I was referring to stock price and market cap. Read the post bud. 

The topic  (in a thread strangely claiming the are "dead" walking") is about how they are doing financially.  And they are making a ton of money.  

The stock prices are a concern for shareholders..  Once stocks are initially issued, they trade hands an infinite number of times that are not always reflective of how the company is doing.    You know this.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

relax Doc. If you don’t understand charts and the markets can’t help you here. Move on. 

You’re the one who brought up how their stock has fallen from what I believe you perceived as if it’s a backlash against something they did to piss conservatives off.  I counter that their net income for the year was 470 million dollars and their decline in stock price is had more to do with the stock market declining as a whole.  You won’t even defend your position.  Instead you go for the condescending “you don’t know what you’re talking about” defense. 

I hate these arguments.  When’s training camp?  Lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

• Simon locked this topic