ESPN -Dead Company walking?

Chandler#81

7 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

yep

you cannot just quit espn channels a la carte - this is called cord-cutting where subscribers drop service tier(s) or service all together.

what is being discussed is thinly veiled politics which should be blocked but has not because the mods have not yet noticed or are tolerating...

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Cord cutting is a scam.

we are all going to get screwed. Rather than 60 or 80 bucks a month for cable, you’ll be paying $15 for Netflix, $15 for ESPN+, $12 for Hulu, $15 for HBO max, etc etc etc. 

And of course, it takes way longer to find something you want to watch by switching these streaming services.

We have been hoodwinked.

Agree kind of. This video was titled 22,000 people quitting ESPN.  They aren't leaving ESPN, they are dumping cable which means bye bye ESPN too.  Think the idea of moving everything to ESPN+ where all you need to do is pay for that could work for them, who knows.

Agree too about paying for Netflix, Hulu, etc does add up.  I have You Tube TV as gives me access to many cable stations like ESPN, but also give me access to live TV, i.e. local network channels.   I have two houses, my primary residence have an antenna with a TIVO for all the local channels.  2nd home antenna reception isn't very good, so use You Tube TV there for locals and in both locations use You Tube for ESPN, etc. All around saving some money but not a whole lot.

The one thing I do miss with either DTV or cable is the ability to turn on TV and everything is immediately  there to watch.  No time wasted exiting Hulu, then starting Netflix or You Tube.  Granted it's not much time, but watch less things on ESPN these days as don't want to bother switching things.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN literally turned into The View prior to the NBA Playoff Game after Uvalde.  Thirty minute round table demanding “common sense gun laws”.   No matter how you feel about the issue, that’s a made up political term.  It means nothing and solves nothing. 

Just my own anecdotal self, but I turned it off and went to the gym. 

I don’t watch any of their shows outside of the occasional NFL Live.  When people like me (mid-30’s male) are also turning off their live sports.. that’s a problem.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

ESPN has sucked for a long time. I stopped watching 14 years ago, even though I was at peak sports fandom in my 20's/30's. You really wanna call it ppolitical? That's comical. It's just crappy programming since the early aughts. 

It’s like the History channel for me. History channel used to be awesome, now it absolutely sucks. It was nice learning about history and things like modern marvels. Now is just trash. 

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

If ESPN is too woke for you, you are probably in a coma. You probably avoid mayonnaise because it's too spicy.

For me its not even the political leanings. It’s just a junk channel now, it used to be great like the History channel. Most programming on TV has been trash for years. MTV used to be awesome as well, back when music videos were dominant and you actually discovered bands. 

• Agree 2

I enjoyed Mike n Mike then just Mike every day. I refuse to listen to the current lineup highlighting Keyshawn. If ESPN chooses to roll with him they will definitely will not have me on board. I can't believe they chose to make the switch huge mistake. Shut em down!

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh yeah! You’re gonna work out GREAT here! May I introduce you PPP? 
😏

I've been here for a long time. I just usually don't post.

And I especially don't post a political slanted topic in the Bills section. Perhaps I could introduce you to PPP? I think Randy Travis' politically charged ESPN hot takes would fit better over there perhaps?

Another "ESPN is dead" thread?  The leaves has bloomed and summer is officially almost here!

Here's what actually is going on: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/disney-hulu-espn-q1-2022-subscribers/

"Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+ continue to gain subscribers.  The Walt Disney Company has released its earnings for its first quarter of 2022, and with it we get a new look at the state of the streaming services that fall under the larger Disney umbrella. Things were good across the board, with gains for Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu.

"ESPN+ increased to 21.3 million subscribers, up from 17.1 million the previous quarter, and from 12.1 million from the first quarter of 2021."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

You see what you want to see...

Flip side, you’re ignorant of what you want to be ignorant of. 

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That's just your political recency bias. The fact is that ESPN has discussed the political issues around sports since its inception through the 80s, 90, 00s. They just haven't adapted well and their programming sucks.

I remember nothing of the sort, just sports center rolling clips in the 80s and 90s. I would watch them every morning, over and over again. Just fun quips and sports. That was the hay day. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Another "ESPN is dead" thread?  The leaves has bloomed and summer is officially almost here!

Here's what actually is going on: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/disney-hulu-espn-q1-2022-subscribers/

"Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+ continue to gain subscribers.  The Walt Disney Company has released its earnings for its first quarter of 2022, and with it we get a new look at the state of the streaming services that fall under the larger Disney umbrella. Things were good across the board, with gains for Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu.

"ESPN+ increased to 21.3 million subscribers, up from 17.1 million the previous quarter, and from 12.1 million from the first quarter of 2021."

Kevin James Liar GIF by TV Land

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That's just your political recency bias. The fact is that ESPN has discussed the political issues around sports since its inception through the 80s, 90, 00s. They just haven't adapted well and their programming sucks.

You're claiming that someone like Keith Oberman would be political?!  Crazy talk.

Bills Games

Cuse Games

NFL Live (Orlovsky and Kimes are good)

College Gameday 

I stick to those.. anything else on ESPN that I attempt to watch has a high probability of annoying me.

It should viscerally bother ESPN execs how much better TNT’s coverage of the NBA is. 

• Like (+1) 1