48 Years ago today, in Buffalo Bills History

T&C

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/april-5-in-bills-history-charging-buffalo-introduced-as-bills-logo-15104242

Took a little getting used to but I still love the standing buffalo the best.

April 5, 1974 - BILLS INTRODUCE NEW LOGO
The Bills announced a major change in the team's logo for the 1974 season. Gone was the red standing buffalo that had been the team's mark since 1962. It was replaced by a blue charging buffalo with a red streak, the crowning achievement of artist Stevens Wright.

How the Bills got their name:

Following the 1946 season, in an effort to generate more fan interest and distinguish the football team from the city's minor league baseball and hockey teams, which also bore the name "Bisons," the team ran a contest to select a new name. Over 4,500 entries were submitted, and "the Bills" won out over "Bullets," "Nickels" and "Blue Devils." Several contestants suggested the winning name, but James F. Dyson was named the winner of the $500 prize based on his essay comparing the team to a band of "Buffalo Bills." He wrote that, while the legendary Indian Scout William "Buffalo Bill" Cody helped trailblaze the American Frontier, the football team (owned by the president of Frontier Oil) was opening a new frontier in Buffalo sports.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Baltimore?  Nearly certain I saw that in and end zone recently.

gettyimages-457507490.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

This is a recent pic, but they’ve had Baltimore in their endzone before. I recall one with Ravens, the other with Baltimore. 

Edited by K-9

5 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Baltimore?  Nearly certain I saw that in and end zone recently.

2 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

Washington and Indy

Miami does too apparently.  I feel like all of these teams mentioned (other than Washington) have both names, one in each endzone.  

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

gettyimages-457507490.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

well nevermind on that one then.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I remember when the new logo was revealed. Back then, it felt like the Bills had officially made it into the big leagues, leaving behind the more traditional, old-school logo. Rich Stadium had just opened. The Bills were now officially in the NFL.

What is interesting is that there is no copyright on the standing buffalo but there Is on the charging buffalo. That's why you see all of the cheap knock offs and the stupid mafia stuff using  the standing buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, T&C said:

What is interesting is that there is no copyright on the standing buffalo but there Is on the charging buffalo. That's why you see all of the cheap knock offs and the stupid mafia stuff using  the standing buffalo.

interesting.....I never knew that about the Standing Bison logo. I'm not sure who would've originally drawn it.

I for one, have felt that the white helmet with the standing buffalo worn during the mid 60's rivals any sports logo .. or equip parcel ,  be it the NY for the Yankees, the Habs C with the H in it  .. the Maple Leaf, ..., GB.. anyway, when they first introduced the helmet it only had one red stripe , but they jazzed it a bit by 65 .. just a classic 

Edited by dwight in philly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They only added blue helmet stripes in ‘65. Yes, it did jazz it up. Still/always my favorite look!

5 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

I for one, have felt that the white helmet with the standing buffalo worn during the mid 60's rivals any sports logo .. or equip parcel ,  be it the NY for the Yankees, the Habs C with the H in it  .. the Maple Leaf, ..., GB.. anyway, when they first introduced the helmet it only had one red stripe , but they jazzed it a bit by 65 .. just a classic 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

I like the classic look with the standing buffalo. But the current helmet looks nice as well as the charging buffalo "pops" more off the white helmet then the red helmet. I didn't hate the red helmet but I am glad they went back to the white helmet. It just looks better IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Absolutely , and never was a fan of the red helmet, but certainly can live with the current white one with the charging buffalo.. always afraid some marketing guru will get into the heads of the "powers that be" and go for  whatever the  current trend  is and we end up with  some half assed blue helmet or the like .

4 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Absolutely , and never was a fan of the red helmet, but certainly can live with the current white one with the charging buffalo.. always afraid some marketing guru will get into the heads of the "powers that be" and go for  whatever the  current trend  is and we end up with  some half assed blue helmet or the like .

It reminds me of when the Islanders thought this was a good idea.

225fedb8870df008.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.