Pounding the table for Christian Watson at 25

Vickveto

Is he one of those guys that gets much better at the pro level or is he just a great athlete?  I don’t know.  It’s fairly uncommon for guys to come from small schools, not dominate the competition with elite physical traits and all of a sudden, “find it” in the NFL.  It happens, but it’s not the norm.   Usually a guy with THAT much size and speed stands out more. He’s a boom or bust type for sure, I’ll let the guys that get paid to project this stuff figure it out.

He looks more like a 2nd -4th round guy to me.

Edited by DCofNC

45 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

His route running definitely needs work but he is at a higher level than you are giving him credit for. He just flat out runs by people and with Josh Allen at quarterback you know the rest. He is also very fluid in the hips for his size he can run the gadgets we like to run with McKenzie he’s also took a couple to the house on kick off returns. I think he has the highest upside of any receiver in the draft. I think he is a day one gamebreaker. Do you believe he is worth the pick at 25? That’s what I think this boils down to. There are other players that I like at 25 even a couple other receivers but I think Watson will be the best and is the best fit for us.

No way is he the Bills 1st round pick. That would be a huge reach and Beane doesn't take do that. 

2 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

How is it a huge reach he is mocked in the first round in most peoples drafts these days.

I don't see many mocks that have him taken before the Bills are on the clock. I exgerrated myself with saying "huge." I stand corrected but I still feel it's a reach. 

14 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Can we get Pickens at 57?  If so how would that sit with you?

Joe Marino knows people at the Georgia football program, and from what he's heard about Pickens' football character he does not believe he will be on our board.

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't see many mocks that have him taken before the Bills are on the clock. I exgerrated myself with saying "huge." I stand corrected but I still feel it's a reach. 

Who knows for sure, but only 7 picks left in 1st round after the Bills so maybe wouldn't be much of a reach if many have him going in 1st. I don't know, I guess it could be considered a reach to some and not to others.

11 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

How is it a huge reach he is mocked in the first round in most peoples drafts these days.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Vickveto said:

His route running definitely needs work but he is at a higher level than you are giving him credit for. He just flat out runs by people and with Josh Allen at quarterback you know the rest. He is also very fluid in the hips for his size he can run the gadgets we like to run with McKenzie he’s also took a couple to the house on kick off returns. I think he has the highest upside of any receiver in the draft. I think he is a day one gamebreaker. Do you believe he is worth the pick at 25? That’s what I think this boils down to. There are other players that I like at 25 even a couple other receivers but I think Watson will be the best and is the best fit for us.

I think people need to distinguish between "route running" and "limited route tree". 

Watson can run the routes he was asked to run in college, he wasn't asked to run that many routes, so his route tree needs expanding. 

But I say that.... DK Metcalf basically only runs 4 routes even now. The go, the fade, the slant and the deep out. Hasn't done him much harm. He is elite at what he does so why worry about the other stuff? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Vickveto said:

I'd say it's closer to "some" than "most". And I don't think I've ever seen one from a major publication that has him taken at 25 or higher. He may sneak into Round 1 if there's a run on WR's and someone really likes him. But he's at best the 6th ranked WR on the vast majority of Draft boards. And even then, it's a matter of preference between him, Jahan Dotson, and George Pickens, with many putting one or both of them above him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 4/4/2022 at 5:08 PM, JBI$111 said:

Yeah I like this guy too, it's not often you have someone that's 6' 4" who runs in the 4.3's.

I don't think I would pick him in the first round though at pick 25 (quoting myself lol), too much risk and he needs a good deal of work to be a dominant NFL ready receiver that is going to contribute a lot in year 1. He definitely has some cons.

We really need one or two CB's (it's obviously our biggest weakness based on what we currently have on paper, but you never know, they've done a good job of developing lower picks in the secondary and what's on the roster now).

I'd probably go CB with pic 25 depending on who's available, simply because now in our division, there are a lot of very talented and fast wide receivers that we are going to have to contend with throughout the year.

If Jameson was available, I definitely would probably pick him (although there's risk there as well), if not, just get the best cornerback unless somebody truly great falls at another position and then in the second round pick a receiver. They need a few more great offensive linemen as well and a fast elusive running back (not in the first round in my humble opinion, there's some good ones that will probably be available in the third round). 

It's going to be an interesting draft, that's for sure!

Edited by JBI$111

On 4/5/2022 at 12:31 PM, Airseven said:

WR early makes no sense unless it's a severe BPA scenario. Top 4 is set with Crowder getting respectable $. GD is still under contract in '23 and Diggs likely getting an extension soon. 

They've proven to be in the market for a dynamic RB (DJ isn't the answer). Singletary is a UFA in '23. WR before RB in this draft would be surprising.  

Yea, not super exciting until diggs sprains an ankle and we are at Davis, crowder and McKenzie 

and if the kid shows up year one, suddenly you can dangle Davis as trade bait if he’s the type of player that does deserve to start cause we are unlikely to pay him big bucks 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea, not super exciting until diggs sprains an ankle and we are at Davis, crowder and McKenzie 

and if the kid shows up year one, suddenly you can dangle Davis as trade bait if he’s the type of player that does deserve to start cause we are unlikely to pay him big bucks 

Blasphemer you !
never speak of Davis like this again

jk

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd say it's closer to "some" than "most". And I don't think I've ever seen one from a major publication that has him taken at 25 or higher. He may sneak into Round 1 if there's a run on WR's and someone really likes him. But he's at best the 6th ranked WR on the vast majority of Draft boards. And even then, it's a matter of preference between him, Jahan Dotson, and George Pickens, with many putting one or both of them above him.

Charlie Campbell has him #23 to Arizona. He is generally one of the more accurate mockers. The earliest I have seen him is 22. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

If Edmunds is gone we’ll need a new escape goat.  Davis seems to fit the bill but my best guess is Basham will soon be bashed.

Is an escape goat a new breed?😎. I know those creatures love to climb!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.