Bills Pre-Draft Depth Chart

ColoradoBills

I stumbled onto a fairly good site giving the Bills current (as of March 31st) Depth Chart.  They seem pretty good at keeping it updated.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF

We all know a vet CB may be in the UFA picture and of course a new Punter.

Not a lot of holes at all and I'm interested as to what members of the board see as issues needed to be addressed.

NOTE:  I don't know why they put Bates as a backup when we all know he is penciled in as the starter.

HELP:  I tried getting a screen shot to post but I'm having trouble.  If anyone can do that I'm sure others would appreciate it.

I will EDIT the OP if someone does that to make it easier to reference.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Damn good looking roster if you ask me, damn good.  I haven't been this excited for an upcoming season in all my years as a Bills fan.  I EXPECT us to win every game.

We address CB either via FA or a stud draft pick, and this roster will be, dare I say, complete.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Damn good looking roster if you ask me, damn good.  I haven't been this excited for an upcoming season in all my years as a Bills fan.  I EXPECT us to win every game.

We address CB either via FA or a stud draft pick, and this roster will be, dare I say, complete.  

LOL, that is my opinion too.  You add the starters and 2nd players plus the 3 ST guys and that's 47.

Only 6 spots from the remaining depth chart.  I thought of posting this after discussions on later round draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Much thanks '59!  The site also has Safford as RG which probably isn't happening.

I am curious as to what fans think about the starters and depth at DL.

IMO, the two greatest areas of need on the DL were (1) run defense and (2) a pass rushing difference maker. Miller checks off the difference maker. As far as the rush defense, Rousseau actuall graded out very high in run D, the interior rush defense should be much better with Settle and Jones, and Miller is not just an exceptional pass rusher. He has consistently graded high in run D as well.

I think the addition of Miller will improve the games of Oliver and Rousseau, and I think an improved Dline takes more pressure off the secondary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

IMO, the two greatest areas of need on the DL were (1) run defense and (2) a pass rushing difference maker. Miller checks off the difference maker. As far as the rush defense, Rousseau actuall graded out very high in run D, the interior rush defense should be much better with Settle and Jones, and Miller is not just an exceptional pass rusher. He has consistently graded high in run D as well.

I think the addition of Miller will improve the games of Oliver and Rousseau, and I think an improved Dline takes more pressure off the secondary.

Agree and I'm sure that is what Beane and McDermott are hoping for too.  It's going to be a big year for AJ Epenesa.  

He needs to make a move to show he is NFL worthy.  The DL roster also give Basham another year to learn.  At least one

needs to step and show their draft worth.  If both improve things are looking great for the future.

As OP pointed out, a vet CB will likely be signed.  In the draft, a CB pretty early to provide some depth.  White is likely to start the season on PUP imo.  After that, punter and a returner are the spots that stick out to me.  Besides CB I see them drafting WR, IOL, TE, OT, LB, RB in no particular order.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

As OP pointed out, a vet CB will likely be signed.  In the draft, a CB pretty early to provide some depth.  White is likely to start the season on PUP imo.  After that, punter and a returner are the spots that stick out to me.  Besides CB I see them drafting WR, IOL, TE, OT, LB, RB in no particular order.  

Looking at the depth roster I see CB, WR and IOL in the first 3 rounds.  I am on board with RB, OT, LB and TE as later picks.

Really like to see a punter in the 6th.  Get a guy to push Haack off the roster and hope he is around for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Looking at the depth roster I see CB, WR and IOL in the first 3 rounds.  I am on board with RB, OT, LB and TE as later picks.

Really like to see a punter in the 6th.  Get a guy to push Haack off the roster and hope he is around for a long time.

Quite a few punters this year.  Bills may be able to get one as UDFA.  Stroud from Penn State and the kid from Georgia.  Matt Araiza Arizona State is likely to be drafted.

IMO, the biggest offseason needs:

1. Get more physical in the trenches: DTs-check, Shaq helps run D, Von is great, and Saffold improves 1 G spot.  I think we will take another G, in the 2nd-4th range to compete with Bates.

2. Dynamic pass rusher: obviously Von checks this box.  I could see us drafting a speed rusher type mid to late, or possibly bringing back Mario or Jerry if price is right.

3. Speed at skill positions: brought back McKenzie, and added Crowder.  Like many, think our 1st two picks will be focused on "boundary" players, specifically athletic WR and CB.

4. Backup Qbs: now set

5. Get cheaper/less costly depth: with Josh contract about to get expensive, and key decisions with other young talent, we needed to shed our high priced depth...check.  I think we could look for LB, T and S in the middle rounds for depth and S/T.

I'd be going into draft targeting speed/skill guys early, then focus on trenches and depth.

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

Quite a few punters this year.  Bills may be able to get one as UDFA.  Stroud from Penn State and the kid from Georgia.  Matt Araiza Arizona State is likely to be drafted.

Stroud has a good chance of being drafted.  That's why I was figuring to use a 6th on him.  One thing I believe the Bills don't want

to have happen is a few of the top rated punters go and they end up with a guy that can't knock off Haack from the roster.

I know it's "just a punter" but I don't see a player from Pick #185 having a reasonable chance other than a ST player making the roster.

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

3. Speed at skill positions: brought back McKenzie, and added Crowder.  Like many, think our 1st two picks will be focused on "boundary" players, specifically athletic WR and CB.

I'm finding it hard to see it any other way.

• Like (+1) 1

CB position is the biggest concern. White may not be back until midseason. 

RB is still betting on Singletary. Maybe we can upgrade via the draft here. 

OL is also an area that could use some depth. Hopefully Morse stays healthy, if not you have Bates as backup. Saffold and Ike/Bates should be average. Dawkins and Brown are solid. 

WR is another area the draft could help. Diggs is still the guy, but he got shut down last year vs the prior year. I dont know if the Chief game Davis is the guy you get on a weekly basis. Crowder is a nice pick up. 

My draft is best CB/WR in the first and likely 2nd. Then you go best on the board at OL, RB, CB, WR the rest of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting on the offensive line, there are 8 players likely to be on the opening day roster not counting Ford.  Typically they keep nine, so assuming they draft at least one, that likely does mean Ford will go the way of the Edsel.

Could see them maybe trying to trade Ford, Moss for something maybe picks?  Trading those two would free up around $3.5 mil, cutting them about $2.5 mil.  Then cut Matakevich would free up another $2.5 mil.  That would give them $5 to $6 mil to work with if they were going to try to work out some trade for Bradberry.

None D lineman likely to make roster, could see them drafting another or maybe still sign Zimmer to a vet min deal or both.

But agree CB is the one area lacking the most.

And punter.  Don't follow college that much to know many of the names other than Araiza

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Boettger at LG? I’ll be surprised if he starts the season. He’s rehabbing an Achilles tear. 

Yeah I posted they have that wrong.  Also Safford at RG.  It's most likely Bates RG and Safford LG.

I'm sure they will get that changed.

Not to sure who handles the site but I found it a good tool to use at this time of year.  Bills have nothing "official" until later

in the year.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Extend Diggs

sign Haden/Fuller/Rhodes/Nelson

sign Julio Jones

Trade Edmunds

Trade up in 1st for Thibodeaux/Hamilton/Stingley/Sauce/JWill

Draft RB  Hall/Walker/Strong/White

Draft WR with YAC/Speed

Draft LB Troy Andersen

Julio Jones is a hamstring waiting to happen.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.