Anyone else become a Bills fan because of a player from college?

ArdmoreRyno

1988, 2nd round of the NFL draft... Buffalo selects Thurman Thomas from Oklahoma State. 

I was 13 years old and surrounded by Dallas Cowboys fans in Southern Oklahoma. My dad and grandfather are OSU graduates (I'm a 3rd generation grad) and started following the Bills when they were on TV because of Thurman. I fell in love with the team and haven't looked back. Even with the greatest RB in college (and probably pro) history coming in right behind Thurman at Oklahoma State, I couldn't pull for Detroit. 

Was wondering, anyone else become a fan of Buffalo due to a player? 

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

No 

There's no choice being born into it

Strangely, growing up in WNY college football was an afterthought. I remember watching those college football scoreboard things on Saturday where they told me how Lehigh did against Slippery Rock. I was 100% into the NFL, with no interest in college football. 

Things have flipped as an adult living in Atlanta. People care about college ball, and they are somewhat aware that the Falcons play here too, in that stadium where the SEC Championship takes place. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Strangely, growing up in WNY college football was an afterthought. I remember watching those college football scoreboard things on Saturday where they told me how Lehigh did against Slippery Rock. I was 100% into the NFL, with no interest in college football. 

Things have flipped as an adult living in Atlanta. People care about college ball, and they are somewhat aware that the Falcons play here too, in that stadium where the SEC Championship takes place. 

🤣😂

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

No 

There's no choice being born into it

That's sorta how it is where I'm from with Dallas. *EVERYONE* rooted for the Cowboys, but my parents didn't follow the NFL, only college. Thank the Lord. Now it's a split between Dallas (I'd say 75%), KC (15%) and the rest Cleveland because of bandwagon OU fans rooting for Cleveland due to Baker. 

On 3/29/2022 at 9:07 AM, LewPort71 said:

Several of my buddies in WV are Bills fans due to Darryl Talley and his play at WVU.

His number at WVU was recently retired.

When I went to Jackson Hole (going to Yellowstone and the Tetons) there were a boat load of Bills gear in town. I'm sure many-many Wyoming Cowboys fans are Bills fans now due to Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

1991 or 92 maybe. Im in Elementary school. Just moved from Long Island, NY to south Florida in 88.   Teacher made the kids pick the winner of the Miami v Buffalo playoff game. Went home and picked up the paper to read about the teams, I come from a Spanish background and was more into Futbol then Football. The sports page was a HUGE picture if a Dolphin bouncing a Buffalo on its nose. Was reading and found out it was the Buffalo Bills from NY, and I hated the fact that we moved from NY to Florida. Went to school, Picked the Bills, and they beat the ***** out of miami from what I remember, was a Fan since then. Made it better when I Realized later they were the only NY team to play in NY. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

1988, 2nd round of the NFL draft... Buffalo selects Thurman Thomas from Oklahoma State. 

I was 13 years old and surrounded by Dallas Cowboys fans in Southern Oklahoma. My dad and grandfather are OSU graduates (I'm a 3rd generation grad) and started following the Bills when they were on TV because of Thurman. I fell in love with the team and haven't looked back. Even with the greatest RB in college (and probably pro) history coming in right behind Thurman at Oklahoma State, I couldn't pull for Detroit. 

Was wondering, anyone else become a fan of Buffalo due to a player? 

Same exact reason I'm here. Except I was younger (around 5 years old) and loved watching Thurman @ OSU. That being said, when he was no longer in college, I was asking where he went, and they said he went to the NFL to the Buffalo Bills. So, I naturally followed them, and there we have it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Plano said:

Same exact reason I'm here. Except I was younger (around 5 years old) and loved watching Thurman @ OSU. That being said, when he was no longer in college, I was asking where he went, and they said he went to the NFL to the Buffalo Bills. So, I naturally followed them, and there we have it.

From Plano, Texas? 

I live about an hour north... right along the Oklahoma/Texas state line (Texoma area.. Tishomingo). 

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

From Plano, Texas? 

I live about an hour north... right along the Oklahoma/Texas state line (Texoma area.. Tishomingo). 

Actually.....an Okie from Muskogee! 

Lived in Plano for a short stint and that's when I joined BBMB (back in prob 2003-2004) and the name stuck forever. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Plano said:

Actually.....an Okie from Muskogee! 

Lived in Plano for a short stint and that's when I joined BBMB (back in prob 2003-2004) and the name stuck forever. 

Awesome. I lived in Broken Arrow for 4 years (2001-2005) and would drive to Muskogee to avoid the tornado paths when it was heading towards BA, lol. 

I was last there over Halloween... took the GF and her kids to the Castle there. Mistake! 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

That's sorta how it is where I'm from with Dallas. *EVERYONE* rooted for the Cowboys, but my parents didn't follow the NFL, only college. Thank the Lord. Now it's a split between Dallas (I'd say 75%), KC (15%) and the rest Cleveland because of bandwagon OU fans rooting for Cleveland due to Baker. 

Well that wont last long 😂

Now they can be Seattle fans , lol

• Haha (+1) 2

On 3/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, Augie said:

Yeah, NY state as a whole is horrible for college football--there is not even a state team like Penn State or OSU. Got sick and tired of hearing about small-time Canisius and Buff State. But when I became a fan of the Bills in the 80's, Syracuse was somewhat good in the Big East Conference and even nationally. 

[As an aside, Canisus beat some powerhouse back in the 80's or 90's, and some national sports reporter pronounced it as "can - i - sigh - us", lol!]

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/4/2022 at 3:59 PM, Plano said:

I became a Thurman Thomas fan when he shredded the vaunted Oklahoma Sooners (Boz) defense. I hoped he would get drafted by the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, chongli said:

Yeah, NY state as a whole is horrible for college football--there is not even a state team like Penn State or OSU. Got sick and tired of hearing about small-time Canisius and Buff State. But when I became a fan of the Bills in the 80's, Syracuse was somewhat good in the Big East Conference and even nationally. 

[As an aside, Canisus beat some powerhouse back in the 80's or 90's, and some national sports reporter pronounced it as "can - i - sigh - us", lol!]

That pronunciation sounds about right , LOL.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.