Anyone else become a Bills fan because of a player from college?

ArdmoreRyno

On 4/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, chongli said:

Yeah, NY state as a whole is horrible for college football--there is not even a state team like Penn State or OSU. Got sick and tired of hearing about small-time Canisius and Buff State. But when I became a fan of the Bills in the 80's, Syracuse was somewhat good in the Big East Conference and even nationally. 

[As an aside, Canisus beat some powerhouse back in the 80's or 90's, and some national sports reporter pronounced it as "can - i - sigh - us", lol!]

Actually UB is THE state flagship university of NY 

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Actually UB is THE state flagship university of NY 

Yeah, I get that, along with Stony Brook, but UB is really not known as a college football powerhouse. In fact, NY is the largest state in the nation, population-wise, without a state (public) football team in the Power 5 (fourth most populous). The next is Massachusetts, with the 16th largest population; then Connecticut at 29 and Nevada at 31. That NY doesn't have a bigger college football team is kind of shocking, really.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, chongli said:

Yeah, I get that, along with Stony Brook, but UB is really not known as a college football powerhouse. In fact, NY is the largest state in the nation, population-wise, without a state (public) football team in the Power 5 (fourth most populous). The next is Massachusetts, with the 16th largest population; then Connecticut at 29 and Nevada at 31. That NY doesn't have a bigger college football team is kind of shocking, really.

SU(private) was a massive football program for a long time ... 8 NFL Hall of famers tied for 4th all time ... Home of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Marvin Harrison, Larry csonka 

Multiple undefeated seasons and a claimed national title 

Not to mention all the big time schools have been playing non stop for 120+ years... UB had a great team in 1899 lol and thru the 50s was a good program... 

Losing their D1 team for nearly 30 years put them back at ground zero.   It literally takes 15-20 years to build a program... And the program is 100x further along than in 1999... and outspends and out recruits other mac schools 

Its honestly about what the brand can be in 30-40 years , not rn

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU(private) was a massive football program for a long time ... 8 NFL Hall of famers tied for 4th all time ... Home of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Marvin Harrison, Larry csonka 

Multiple undefeated seasons and a claimed national title 

Not to mention all the big time schools have been playing non stop for 120+ years... UB had a great team in 1899 lol and thru the 50s was a good program... 

Losing their D1 team for nearly 30 years put them back at ground zero.   It literally takes 15-20 years to build a program... And the program is 100x further along than in 1999... and outspends and out recruits other mac schools 

Its honestly about what the brand can be in 30-40 years , not rn

I did not know this. Thanks for the history lesson! Someday...big time college football in upstate NY would be awesome (besides Syracuse).

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, chongli said:

I did not know this. Thanks for the history lesson! Someday...big time college football in upstate NY would be awesome (besides Syracuse).

I honestly believe it's coming in the near future  

UB has the resources to become the Boise st of the MAC

• Thank you (+1) 1

As my nurse

educator for a company I used to manage said, “In Alabama, you either decide or the decision is made

for you at birth it’s Roll Tide, or Go Tigers”.

Well in Buffalo even if youve

moved away for 30 years, red, white, and royal blue bleeds through our arteries and veins.

Ive heard crap from friends and coworkers for years, and I’ve always said on both topics, I was born Catholic, I was raised Catholic, and I’ll die Catholic.  I know when to get up, knell, and sit.  The same holds true for my Bills.  I was born a bills fan, I was raised and Bills fan, and I’ll die a Bills fan.

im fortunate to know friends who never stepped foot in the Buffalo area, and are diehard Bills fans.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, chongli said:

Agree, that is interesting about NY state, but it’s mostly due to a lack of in state football talent. That’s why you see a couple New England states as well, the football talent just isn’t there. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, SirAndrew said:

Agree, that is interesting about NY state, but it’s mostly due to a lack of in state football talent. That’s why you see a couple New England states as well, the football talent just isn’t there. 

There's plenty of division one talent around New York City and Central New York

Even Western New York in the Catholic schools puts out division 1 talent 

The problem is most of them don't stay in state.. the high profile ones at least

Edited by Buffalo716

On 4/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, chongli said:

UB was developing into a good MAC team but not sure if the program is better under Linguist or not as last year was a mess. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.