Tre’s recovery?

oldmanfan

10 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Of the several people you know that have recovered 100% In a 6-8 month period are #1 CB’s in the NFL? I’m guessing Tre’s day job is a little more stressful on the repaired ACL than most people. To recover in 6-8 months to go back to a desk job is very different than going back to coving Tyrik Hill in the opener. 

Adrian Peterson came back in like 6 months and ran for over 2K yards

Tre should absolutely not be rushed back, I am sure the staff won't. 

With the very good DL as it stands now, the pressure on the defensive backfield should be less than for teams with weak front 4s. Also, the O can be expected to score lot of points. Finally, Dane Jackson seems to have held his own last season. 

So, we don't have to panic if Tre is not ready for game 1. Depending on how the draft falls, a vet can be added post-draft and we should be fine. The only question will be which of the vets we will add (and that depends on the skill set and readiness level of the rookie)

9 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Of the several people you know that have recovered 100% In a 6-8 month period are #1 CB’s in the NFL? I’m guessing Tre’s day job is a little more stressful on the repaired ACL than most people. To recover in 6-8 months to go back to a desk job is very different than going back to coving Tyrik Hill in the opener. 

You're correct that Tre's day job is far more stressful on his knee, but by the same token - Tre's job is to rehab full-time at this point, whereas us ordinary working folks were doing well if we could fit in 2-3 hour-long PT sessions at a lesser-equipped facility and then an hour a day of rehab on our own.  And it's a rare "desk job" gal or guy who has stuff like zero-gravity treadmills and pool therapy along with focused, individualized attention from top therapists and trainers.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Of course they aren't NFL CB's.

Do you think Tre is going to a general Physical Therapy shop in a strip mall or he's going to the top notch Doctors provided by the Bills?

Also, no...they aren't just doing desk jobs.  These are Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai fighters who competed within 8 months.

I hope your right believe me. I’d rather error on the side of caution with one the most important players on the team 

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think the staff will have him on the field until his knee is ready....which I think week 1 he will be 100% by the opener.  It'll be a solid 8 months since the surgery with the top medical/PT staffs.  I've known several people who have had ACL surgery and they're usually 100% without any setbacks between 6-8 months.

16 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

The expectations from the guys covering the Bills and talking to the training staff is that he will most likely be ready for game 1 - assuming not setbacks.  

The Bills would most likely ease him back in with little to no usage in TC or Pre season.  Give him some level of limited snaps and reps in the games to work back the endurance with time off for swelling.

They have also said he could miss week 1 and maybe week 2, but most likely wouldn’t start on PUP or IR because he would not miss extended time into the season.

We will see, but as the season starts at 8 and 1/2 months from the surgery - the biggest expected issue is him moving around and getting used to and confident playing on it.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m thinking they believe he’ll be back earlier than expected. I also think they’ll look for a guy, but it might not be until day 2 or day 3. They seem to really like Dane Jackson, and they have brought Cam Lewis along slowly (reminds me a bit of how they brought along Bates), and I think they have more faith in their ability to develop guys like Griffith and McCloud. 

With as much cap as they have right now, I’d also expect a UFA to be brought in as well. Probably after the draft, especially if Bradberry is cut.

If they do draft a CB early I think it’ll be someone who has some CB/S versatility. Provide depth at corner but also someone who can replace one of Hyde or Poyer as well. Jalen Pitre could be one example. 

One of the most common, and unfair, mistakes fans make is to underestimate an injury's impact on an athlete. I remember posters on this board calling Tre "fat and happy with his new contract" when he played with a September back injury (can't remember which year) in early '20 or '21. 

Yes, he has world class support in his recovery. He also is recovering to compete against world class athletes, where a tenth of a second can make you unemployed.

Let's just settle on confidence that he will give it 100% and will be ready.....when he's ready. This September time projection stuff will lead to frustration. If he super-recovers, great. But, let him be human. 

I have no idea how credible this is, but here is an article talking about how one factor in whether/how quickly athletes return is that some people are "copers" who can essentially function at a high level without an ACL.  The author references research but does not provide links.  (He seems to be a PT/movement coach)

Thurman Thomas was probably a "coper"

https://b-reddy.org/a-different-explanation-for-adrian-petersons-amazing-acl-recovery/

When I went through my own ACL reconstruction I came across this branch of ACL research referred to as “copers.” Copers are people who tear their ACLs, wait until the pain and swelling goes down (maybe a week or two), then run off as if nothing ever happened. John Elway appears to be one of those guys. Dejuan Blair, an NBA basketball player, apparently doesn’t have ACLs either. And Hines Ward has gone most of his life without one.

You also have those who are born without ACLs and are fine. I know one guy who found out he didn’t have ACLs when doctors went inside his knee for the first time around his mid-20s. He played multiple sports all the way up until this point without every having a problem.

Some people think the muscles pick up the slack, some think bone structure has something to do with it, and some think the MCL can pick up the slack.

I think it’s much more reasonable to say Adrian Peterson fits into this category. A guy who doesn’t need / rely on an ACL like most people do. Again, why this happens, I’m not sure. Nobody seems sure. But it’s a hell of lot easier to recover from an ACL injury if you don’t need the ACL to begin with.

Here is a different article talking about a major loss after ACL repair being proprioception (our ability to sense where a limb is in space)
https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/acl-injuries-no-longer-spelling-doom-for-football-careers-x48322

Craig Levitz, chief of orthopedic surgery at South Nassau Community Hospital, sat back in a chair in his Lynbrook office. With his eyes closed, he reclined, lifted his leg and placed his right foot flat against the wall. Had he undergone a recent ACL reconstruction, he might not have been able to do that simple task.

"I can sense where my knee and foot are in space,'' he said. "There are proprioceptors that live in the ACL, but when you tear your ACL, they're gone. The reconstructed ACL has nothing in it.''

Proprioception may be the most important word in returning from an ACL injury. It's the difference between Adrian Peterson and Bulls star point guard Derrick Rose, who has yet to play in a game since tearing his ACL more than a year ago. It is the sense of the relative position of neighboring parts of the body and the effort needed to create movement. In other words, it is what allows an athlete to feel like himself again.

The body must redevelop those fibers into the new ACL through repetitive activity.

"When you tear your ACL and you come back, the game is too fast for you,'' Levitz said. "You're used to seeing a guy [on the field] and your whole body goes that way before you think about it. When you tear your ACL, you have to tell your leg to go that way . . . The muscle loses all its memory when you tear an ACL. You've made a baby again. So you have to teach it.''

In the next 10 years, I see ACL recoveries down to like 6 months.  

The actions of the Bills makes me believe they feel Tre is on schedule to come back by the opener.  I think it also means that they are comfortable with Dane Jackson at the #2.  I think they're open to upgrading like a FA for the right money or having a BPA at the corner position on draft night.  If neither of those work out, I don't think they'll worry.

• Agree 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:55 PM, DJB said:

Pretty sure he had it amputated at the neck 

That was his Spleen iirc…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.