Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, junior said:

Would you two prefer we replace a guard with a traffic cone and a DT with a rock? When holes open up on a roster, you replace them with someone who you think can perform better. Plus free agency hasn't even started, meaning we still have plenty of time to fix other holes. Would love to see the off-season master plan you've concocted lol.

Tf 

Let's see where they are at the end. Last year they didn't get better. We will see if they do this year.

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Let's see where they are at the end. Last year they didn't get better. We will see if they do this year.

Eh.. the Bills were better.   They were likely the best team in the NFL last year (on the field)

We lost to KC because the coaches completely spazzed end of game.

Now you can say maybe we were better because Josh Allen went god-mode in the playoffs, but if we get by KC, we’re likely SB Champions.  

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Consensus amongst NFL folks is that we:

-Upgraded the OL with Saffold over Williams

-Upgraded the IDL with Jones/Settle replacing Harry/Butler

McKenzie was signed to a team friendly deal, clearly to be WR4, and the Morse extension makes all the sense in the world.

I struggle to see what people are complaining about in regards to these moves..  Who, that signed today, did you want? 

Cinci and LAC got much better in certain areas, but they have rookie QB money that BUF/KC do not.  

Cite your "consensus" sources because I'm tired of the straw man arguments.  Sounds like some MSM reporter who talks about "people we've talked to said X."  

Prioritizing 2 DT's who'll get no more than 50% of the defensive snaps because McCoach needs his 8-9 man rotation is just same old same old.  Been there, done that...they've spent big on the DL (2nd highest paid unit in the NFL last season) and it gets them nothing when it matters.        

McKenzie is on a minor contract and who really cares?  He had 1 decent game last year and didn't play until it became obvious the Bills needed more speed...which speaking of that...I guess they're still working there.  

The problem now is that people keep being satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a game.  Buffalo needs their front office and coaching staff to be elite...and they keep coming up as underwhelming. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The cap situation is a self-made issue.  As others have said, notably @BADOLBILZ they've inked some guys who were vastly overpaid and now that's impacting the cap.  OBD has no one to blame but themselves.  

My point remains: prioritizing their first contracts on guys who'll play less than 50% of the snaps is bizarre...provided those contracts are not classic Beane/McCoach overpaying at positions of less importance (DT, LB).  

The cap situation was caused by a worldwide pandemic. 

You lost credibility when you cited Badol…

Just now, BillsVet said:

Cite your "consensus" sources because I'm tired of the straw man arguments.  Sounds like some MSM reporter who talks about "people we've talked to said X."  

Prioritizing 2 DT's who'll get no more than 50% of the defensive snaps because McCoach needs his 8-9 man rotation is just same old same old.  Been there, done that...they've spent big on the DL (2nd highest paid unit in the NFL last season) and it gets them nothing when it matters.        

McKenzie is on a minor contract and who really cares?  He had 1 decent game last year and didn't play until it became obvious the Bills needed more speed...which speaking of that...I guess they're still working there.  

The problem now is that people keep being satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a game.  Buffalo needs their front office and coaching staff to be elite...and they keep coming up as underwhelming. 

Let’s play my favorite game of “what front offices and coaching staffs are better than the Bills?” 

It’s always a doozy with people who have a mediocre grasp of how all this works… 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes, that's the point. Let's wait till the off-season is over before throwing hissy fits, let alone before FA even opens.

Has Beane missed on free agents? Yes. Has every GM? Yes. Has he also torn down and constructed a roster that is a threat to make the Super Bowl every year? Yes.

Now, do we still need impact players at other positions? Sure. Can we restructure contracts to allow it to happen, if we so choose? Yes. Can we also draft impact players? Yes. It just so happens that the first thing we did was sign guards and DTs. Why? Because we needed to upgrade those positions. 

Let's give Beane and co. more than 11hrs into the legal tampering period before we clamor for his head and imply he's inept.

Edited by junior
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Success said:

Which our braintrust has done, emphatically.  

It's not a formula.  You build one of the best teams, you win games, you get a high seed in the playoffs - then you hope for a little luck. Because getting through the playoffs & getting the prize usually relies on that.

Beane & his staff have done an outstanding job turning this team into one of the top contenders.

No one remembers or cares about perennial contenders.

As for the luck argument...you build your own luck by being smarter than your opponents.  Buffalo didn't win last year because they did 2020 v2.0 and thought it'd be enough.  For all the praise that front office gets, they didn't get much right last off-season...that is if you expect excellence and not average personnel effort. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I follow the NFL pretty closely and I have no idea who that guy is.  Looks like a blogger and podcaster.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The cap situation is a self-made issue.  As others have said, notably @BADOLBILZ they've inked some guys who were vastly overpaid and now that's impacting the cap.  OBD has no one to blame but themselves.  

My point remains: prioritizing their first contracts on guys who'll play less than 50% of the snaps is bizarre...provided those contracts are not classic Beane/McCoach overpaying at positions of less importance (DT, LB).  

I agree there's been a couple contracts that were questionable. There's been some good ones also. Nobody is perfect, it happens all the time. In any event this team is one of the best in the league and a Super Bowl favorite. Just because they haven't signed certain players you may want the first hours of F/A doesn't change that.

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The cap situation was caused by a worldwide pandemic. 

You lost credibility when you cited Badol…

Let’s play my favorite game of “what front offices and coaching staffs are better than the Bills?” 

It’s always a doozy with people who have a mediocre grasp of how all this works… 

I'm really leaning toward blaming the cap issues on Russia...everyone's doing it now and people believe it so...why not?  :lol:  

BADOL is at the top of the quality posters here.  He gives it to you real, not with milk and cookies like most homers want.  Ergo, he hurts people's feelings when things go wrong and people start making excuses.  Like blaming cap issues on something that affected every team.   

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm really leaning toward blaming the cap issues on Russia...everyone's doing it now and people believe it so...why not?  :lol:  

BADOL is at the top of the quality posters here.  He gives it to you real, not with milk and cookies like most homers want.  Ergo, he hurts people's feelings when things go wrong and people start making excuses.  Like blaming cap issues on something that affected every team.   

Beane and Co have put together, in many experts eyes, one of the deepest, most talented rosters in the league, with the best QB in the league, and they are, literally, SB favorites at some sports books.  Sure, every team has holes and they are trying to fill them and improve the roster like everyone else.  What more do you want from them?  It's unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

No one remembers or cares about perennial contenders.

As for the luck argument...you build your own luck by being smarter than your opponents.  Buffalo didn't win last year because they did 2020 v2.0 and thought it'd be enough.  For all the praise that front office gets, they didn't get much right last off-season...that is if you expect excellence and not average personnel effort. 

I follow the NFL pretty closely and I have no idea who that guy is.  Looks like a blogger and podcaster.  :lol:

Buffalo has gotten praise on the shows too but im not searching to link them for you. 

Also, Buffalo didn’t lose to KC because they “ran it back” in many aspects.   They lost because the coaches spazzed out to end the game.   

If you’re assertion is that we have too many good players and not enough great players, I’d agree with you..  but everything we did today, on paper, makes us better.   

We saved money at Guard and also managed to upgrade it. 

Same on the IDL.  Jones and Settle give us that physicality we didn’t have last year.

19 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

What team is immune from making some bad signings? The Super Bowl Rams screwed up with Goff. It happens. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Eh.. the Bills were better.   They were likely the best team in the NFL last year (on the field)

We lost to KC because the coaches completely spazzed end of game.

Now you can say maybe we were better because Josh Allen went god-mode in the playoffs, but if we get by KC, we’re likely SB Champions.  

I disagree, I think the Rams would have beaten them and I frankly think they would have struggled with the Bengals.

Just now, That's No Moon said:

I disagree, I think the Rams would have beaten them and I frankly think they would have struggled with the Bengals.

They may have lost to the Rams, they were a good team, but it would have been close.

We would have best the Bengals though, at home.  We would have been 5-6 point favorites.

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Rams would have been tough.  

Sick of hearing about Cinci.   That defense they deployed to turn Mahomes into a pumpkin doesn’t work against Allen.  He would’ve just ran all over it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I agree there's been a couple contracts that were questionable. There's been some good ones also. Nobody is perfect, it happens all the time. In any event this team is one of the best in the league and a Super Bowl favorite. Just because they haven't signed certain players you may want the first hours of F/A doesn't change that.

The bad UFA contracts have far outweighed the good ones.  Star's is at the top, and 2 good ones at market value don't overcome that level of stupid.

As long as McCoach has the dominant voice in personnel, they'll always shade toward defense, spend good money to do it and all at the expense of Josh.  

They're SB contenders sure, but going from perennial playoff team to winning a SB is a bigger leap than people understand.  And right now, Buffalo is taking the pedestrian and safe approach consistent with a risk averse HC.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Rams would have been tough.  

Sick of hearing about Cinci.   That defense they deployed to turn Mahomes into a pumpkin doesn’t work against Allen.  He would’ve just ran all over it. 

KC got super complacent second half versus Cincy.  They went up 21-3 and thought they could cruise to a win.  KC played their absolute A game against the Bills and we still should have won.

Just now, BillsVet said:

The bad UFA contracts have far outweighed the good ones.  Star's is at the top, and 2 good ones at market value don't overcome that level of stupid.

As long as McCoach has the dominant voice in personnel, they'll always shade toward defense, spend good money to do it and all at the expense of Josh.  

They're SB contenders sure, but going from perennial playoff team to winning a SB is a bigger leap than people understand.  And right now, Buffalo is taking the pedestrian and safe approach consistent with a risk averse HC.  

Diggs says hi

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not sure you can say that.  They have limited cap room because they have a good roster.  You need to chill and give it some time, its day 1.

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I love how you avoided my question… explain to the board which organizations have done it better since 2017… take everything into account. The draft, free agency, player development, winning games and anything else you want to add… 

It did affect every team, but if you can’t compute the fact that the Bills had planned their signings around the idea that they could be competitive now with the ability to spend in the future and then that was taken away from them by the fact that the cap didn’t increase, that’s on you. 

If you’re failing to recognize that this front office plans things out in advance and has a legitimate plan, then I’m also sorry. If you wanna talk about milk and cookies, you live in Candyland where every player on the team has to be a Pro Bowler and every free agent signing has to be below market value for things to please you. 

They’ve objectively built a top 5 roster in the sport and you’re asserting they’re mediocre. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.