Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m shocked that your computer wasn’t confiscated after the last thread you started.

Groupthink rules so it got shut down.  I wonder if an apology will follow if it happens.   I guess I could have started a thread about Edmunds kidnapping the Lindbergh baby to stay in line.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't really care about comp picks. A lot of fans do. I just can't sleep so decided to look at roughly what value they moves would have got last year. 

On the general premise I think those that do care about comp picks will always be disappointed because Beane will never see a roster he doesn't want to add veteran depth too. We are into free agent cycle 5 with this GM and his MO is pretty clear. 

I’m generally with you.  I don’t believe in wasting opportunity (eg cancelling a pick for, say, Stephon Gilmore by signing a bunch of JAGs).   But the DT signings are not that.  I’d much rather load up now for a super bowl

run than worry about having an extra Marquez Stevenson or Tommy Doyle a year from now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You are correct about the timing of the signings, but If I recall all he had to do was cut Streeter and Ducasse during the season. Both players were terrible and could have been replaced with any street free agent at the time. Maybe I’m misremembering the players. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think he'd have had to do more than that. Streeter was never on the regular season roster. He'd have had to cut Lonnie Johnson who was out starting slot corner, Ducasse who was a starting guard and Andre Holmes who was a starting receiver plus either Ryan Davis (backup edge) or Pat DiMarco. 

Four players (at least 3 starters) from a team in the playoff hunt to break a 17 year drought.... that woulda been a tough sell to the locker room IMO.

Only players whose contracts have expired qualify for the compensatory formula. Players who are cut by the team are ineligible in this calculation.

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Only players whose contracts have expired qualify for the compensatory formula. Players who are cut by the team are ineligible in this calculation.

Not what I mean. You can stop a player counting against your signings if you cut him again by week 7 I think it is. Only if they are on your roster after that point are they confirmed as counting. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not what I mean. You can stop a player counting against your signings if you cut him again by week 7 I think it is. Only if they are on your roster after that point are they confirmed as counting. 

Noted. The other post quoted above yours was specifically referring to receiving a comp pick. I don't believe I misinterpreted that as well but, if so, mea culpa. My point about compensation is correct.

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That’s one of the reasons why Andre Holmes was released mid season a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Gotta have both.  Hope the cap allows for the couple of signings we need to push us over the top.  

My concern is the they can’t lose the locker room by allowing guys who have performed to get their money elsewhere.  Yeah, this years free agency has shown guys just want the money.  Some going from good teams to bad to follow the contract.  Just feel this team is built different.  Feel they are all about the team aspect and playing for each other.  

We will see.

But whats your definition of perform?   Both Feliciano and Phillips played less than 75% of their games while in Buffalo.   They may have been good locker room guys, and may have played ok when they were actually available, but I wouldnt call that performing.   If I miss 25% of the days I am supposed to be at work, I doubt my boss gives me a raise to stay.   

The Bills have very little cap space.  They need to sign guys who are available to play football on Sunday.  If you take a look at Jones, Settle, and Saffold you'll notice those guys havent missed a lot of games in the near term.    Every year there is turnover.  I'll start to worry when they cut and lose guys who are good in the lockerroom, consistent performers, and dont collect their paychecks from the bench.

It seems like “13 Seconds” has become a Rorschach Test around here… either you think the roster had everything it needed to win that game and would’ve gone on to win the Super Bowl, so there’s nothing wrong with “running it back,” or you think they were 1-2 difference makers away from getting it done and should be aggressively trying to find that missing piece.

I fall into the second category.  The thing is, Beane’s post-season PC indicated he did too - he talked about needing to add speed and YAC to the offense, improving the pass rush, etc. - maybe you can find all of that later on in free agency or in the draft.  Let’s hope he does.  But at some point you cannot be content with just staying put, other teams are aggressively trying to improve, too, and we need to stay in the arms race to stay on top.  The offense needs more weapons, the secondary needs more speed, and the pass rush needs a closer - I cannot get excited about changing out veteran DTs and guards on Day 1 of free agency.  Go get the real difference-makers and let’s win this thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 7

What's going on Beane ?... What happened to the Beasley to Carolina for McCaffrey trade ?

It had to be true because I read it on the interwebs, wait, it has to be double true because I read it here Saturday that the trade would happen in 48 hours. That was 24 hours ago. I'm so distraught.

🤑

33 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It seems like “13 Seconds” has become a Rorschach Test around here… either you think the roster had everything it needed to win that game and would’ve gone on to win the Super Bowl, so there’s nothing wrong with “running it back,” or you think they were 1-2 difference makers away from getting it done and should be aggressively trying to find that missing piece.

I fall into the second category.  The thing is, Beane’s post-season PC indicated he did too - he talked about needing to add speed and YAC to the offense, improving the pass rush, etc. - maybe you can find all of that later on in free agency or in the draft.  Let’s hope he does.  But at some point you cannot be content with just staying put, other teams are aggressively trying to improve, too, and we need to stay in the arms race to stay on top.  The offense needs more weapons, the secondary needs more speed, and the pass rush needs a closer - I cannot get excited about changing out veteran DTs and guards on Day 1 of free agency.  Go get the real difference-makers and let’s win this thing.

Again, you realize FA hasn’t even officially started yet, the draft hasn’t been held yet and we haven’t hit the 2nd wave of FA yet, right?  This is a thread rant for months from now, not the day before the start of the new league year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In case folks are bothered re. Comp picks (because I know it is a popular topic around here) based on 2021 values and what we know about the contracts signed:

Outgoings

Mitch Trubisky at $7m AAV is likely 5th round value (slim chance of becoming a 4th with incentives earned)

Harrison Phillips at $6.15m AAV is also likely 5th round value

Incomings

Tim Settle at $4.5m AAV is likely 6th round value

We don't yet have details on Jones but if his contract value was around the same as his 1 year deal in Carolina ($4m AAV) that would also be likely 6th round value.

As it stands after day 1 the Bills would earn zero comp picks in 2022.

Bolded is because whether you get comp picks at all is decided only by number of relevant outgoings/incomings (which is 2/2 right now), and quality of the pick (i.e. which round) is determined only when you have more outgoings than incomings?

I am asking since apparently the way you listed is that outgoings should net more value.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.