How NFL money to help fund a new Bills stadium - Update NYS & and Erie County agree to pay nearly $1 billion. Owners meeting $200 M Vote

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

what is not talked about here is the millions of dollars NFL Players put into their communities to help special needs.

I also wonder how much the players, coaches, trainers, etc. pay in NYS income tax each year?  With the cap at, say, $200m, the amount paid by just the players at a rate of 8.82% would be over $17m each year.  That doesn't include the amounts in property taxes, sales tax, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, MPT said:

I would point out that they just spent $1.5 billion so they could own a share of one of the most lucrative businesses in the history of business. I respect the Pegulas and I'm glad they invest a lot in Buffalo but let's not pretend that owning an NFL team is charity. 

Owning an NFL Team is not ‘one of the most lucrative businesses in the history of business’. In fact I’m not sure if a single owner makes the majority of their money from owning a team. They make their real money in another market. ( I could be wrong.) Is it an investment? Yes it is. But it’s a long term play, not a short term flip. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know anything about this stuff, but if I were the pegulas, this is what I'd do - 

Build a stadium with a retractable roof and pay for the entire thing. Bring in multiple concerts throughout the year to help generate income, but also host a wide variety of other events like auto shows, home and garden shows etc. Make it a year round buisness. Again I know nothing about anything, that's just my thoughts if I had unlimited money 

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There's already a thread on this.

@Gugny

i started this thread about financing,  where it comes from and how much cash the state/ local region & the Pegs have to cough up 3 weeks ago and I was just keeping it current 

The Buff news link in the OP starts with 

The National Football League will help finance a new stadium for the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Committee recommends their G4 application for the loan be approved and presented at owners meeting. 

Seriously, does anyone expect them to turn it down? The NFL is in the stadium building business.

24 of the 32 teams need to approve it. Who dares vote No?

When do they build their first one?

33 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I don't know anything about this stuff, but if I were the pegulas, this is what I'd do - 

Build a stadium with a retractable roof and pay for the entire thing. Bring in multiple concerts throughout the year to help generate income, but also host a wide variety of other events like auto shows, home and garden shows etc. Make it a year round buisness. Again I know nothing about anything, that's just my thoughts if I had unlimited money 

retractible would service all weather spring and summer events 

Just leave the roof open in the winter for Snow ❄️ games.   ;) 

So let me get this right the TV deal before the betting thing took off was something like $44billion over 10 years (or something like that) & then they got the betting thing passed along with all the streaming rights now how many are Billions is that added to the take ?

And let me get this completely straight the NFL isn't made to invest any money what so ever in a stadium build yet they can reap all the benefits from it from 32 cities & the tax payers with in that city have to not only buy tickets & Merch when they go to games but have their taxes if they live in that area go up to build the stadium .

But the NFL doesn't have to put any cash at all up front to help with the amount of cash they will be getting from this ? WOW that is one hell of a deal so the NFL just has to put their shield on it & collect the cash but put nothing out for it that seems real fair to the fans in each city .

With the money they make there should be in some part of the agreement that if the host city is willing to have the land & put up with all the security in that area & make the proper road accommodations & pay for the upkeep & the building of the structure that the NFL should be on the hook for at least half the cost of these stadiums seeing as they make a huge amount of cash from it .

That just seems as though it would be part of the process seeing as this is a partnership between the NFL & the cities which they are a part of ! 

Edited by T master

3 minutes ago, T master said:

And let me get this completely straight the NFL isn't made to invest any money what so ever in a stadium build yet they can reap all the benefits from it from 32 cities & the tax payers with in that city have to not only but tickets & Merch when they go to games but have their taxes if they live in that area go up to build the stadium .

maybe it’s legalize but

Up to $150 million of the loan is forgivable, repaid through the visiting teams' share of Bills ticket revenue over 25 years, and is contingent on both public financing and the Pegulas contributing at least $200 million of their own equity to the project, according to the terms of the league's "G-4" loan program

I don’t know what Is forgivable means.  

The Pegula’s paid $1.4 B for the team with a current estimated value $2.2 B.  Unlike other business though the team makes very little money in the form of operating profit (or so says Forbes).  The point simply is that a team generally does not throw off a lot of cash to the owner.  Therefore, the Pegula’s have an argument in a small market to ay they do not wish to tie up more of their own personal wealth in a stadium.  

To me this is why the NFL ownership model is flat out wrong.  The NFL gets anti trust exemption. I would argue as a part of keeping that, part of the ownership of the franchise should go to the market (fans) say 49%.  This way the fans can gain from the net increase of the value of the franchise and exercise some measure of control over its future. It seems wrong to just milk money from PSLs tha offer no value in return other than the right to buy tickets. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Unlike other business though the team makes very little money in the form of operating profit (or so says Forbes).  The point simply is that a team generally does not throw off a lot of cash to the owner.  Therefore, the Pegula’s have an argument in a small market to ay they do not wish to tie up more of their own personal wealth in a stadium.  

I believe that is a direct reflection of 1 of the lowest ticket prices in the league 

Google search indicates 

Bills playoff tickets can be found with an average price of $93.00.

Secondary market ~ $250 to $400

——————

Whereas in KC 

on the NFL Ticket Exchange,

you can find verified tickets available for resale.

Their least-expensive ticket option is at $445, where you’ll be seated in the upper 300’s. Seats in the front row, immediately behind the Chiefs bench are sitting at $3,600 per seat. Tickets in the 200’s are ranging between $1,000-2,000.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Pegula’s paid $1.4 B for the team with a current estimated value $2.2 B.  Unlike other business though the team makes very little money in the form of operating profit (or so says Forbes).  The point simply is that a team generally does not throw off a lot of cash to the owner.  Therefore, the Pegula’s have an argument in a small market to ay they do not wish to tie up more of their own personal wealth in a stadium.  

To me this is why the NFL ownership model is flat out wrong.  The NFL gets anti trust exemption. I would argue as a part of keeping that, part of the ownership of the franchise should go to the market (fans) say 49%.  This way the fans can gain from the net increase of the value of the franchise and exercise some measure of control over its future. It seems wrong to just milk money from PSLs tha offer no value in return other than the right to buy tickets. 

Since he bought the team almost 8 years ago, the Bills have, according to Forbes, netted Pegula 383 million in profit and have increased his net worth nearly another billion on top of that.

It's a business with a guaranteed annual minimum income/revenue where the value of the business only increases at over 10% a year.  

In a bigger market, Pegula wouldn't be more inclined to offer more for the stadium.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.