DB coach John Butler adds Defensive Passing Game Coordinator to title; Jim Salgado promoted to Safeties coach

YoloinOhio

The Bills have announced the following moves within the coaching staff.

John Butler, the current defensive backs coach, adds passing game coordinator to his title. Butler has spent the last four seasons as Buffalo's defensive backs coach. Butler helped oversee a unit that finished as the best pass defense (allowing 163 pass yards per game) in the NFL and was a part of the best overall defense (allow 272.8 yards per game) and scoring defense (allow 17 points per game) in the NFL in 2021. Before joining the Bills, Butler spent four years coaching the Houston Texans secondary. He has also coached at several colleges like Penn State, South Carolina, Minnesota, Harvard and more.

So no more “Nickel Coach” (I think the Bills were the only team that had someone in this specific role)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to DB coach John Butler adds Passing Game Coordinator to title; Jim Salgado promoted to Safeties coach

Buffalo will add these six new coaches to the staff. The team named former quarterback Kyle Shurmur their defensive quality control coach, Nick Lacy the new strength and conditioning assistant coach, Marcus West the new assistant defensive line coach, Jaylon Finner the new defensive quality control coach, Cory Harkey the new assistant special teams coach and Austin Gund will take over as the fellowship coach.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe a dumb question, but does that mean DEFENSIVE Passing Game coordinator? Or is he going to be working on the Offensive side of the ball too?

I know Dorsey was our previous "passing game coordinator", obviously on the O side. I havent heard of that position for the Defense.

Same thing I was wondering, but I think it implies offense. Never heard of a passing game coordinator on the defensive side unless he’s the defensive backs coach.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe a dumb question, but does that mean DEFENSIVE Passing Game coordinator? Or is he going to be working on the Offensive side of the ball too?

I know Dorsey was our previous "passing game coordinator", obviously on the O side. I havent heard of that position for the Defense.

Not dumb to me. I found it curious as well. Is this a bit of “it takes one to know one” situation? Who better to design a passing game than the guy charged with preventing the passing game? 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Same thing I was wondering, but I think it implies offense. Never heard of a passing game coordinator on the defensive side unless he’s the defensive backs coach.

Just now, Augie said:

Not dumb to me. I found it curious as well. Is this a bit of “it takes one to know one” situation? Who better to design a passing game than the guy charged with preventing the passing game? 

McBeane playing 4D chess giving our coaches such crazy titles our opponents arent even sure who is doing what!

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Thank you, Process and Sal! That makes more sense.

Interesting, as that might hint at Butler being the DC-in-waiting? What do folks think about that?

Also interesting that Butler was a High School team mate of McD. NFL coaching nepotism at every turn...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I had the same question 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you, Process and Sal! That makes more sense.

Interesting, as that might hint at Butler being the DC-in-waiting? What do folks think about that?

Also interesting that Butler was a High School team mate of McD. NFL coaching nepotism at every turn...

Not really nepotism, just a connection. 

• Like (+1) 5

• YoloinOhio changed the title to DB coach John Butler adds Defensive Passing Game Coordinator to title; Jim Salgado promoted to Safeties coach
1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yet 90% of this board was up in arms because David culley was hired as a quarterback coach and he had a history as a wide receiver coach lol 

How could a wide receiver coach quarterbacks this website said lol 

Despite the fact that he himself was a division one quarterback and supposed to be a film guru 

Lots of football coaches could coach multiple position group on the field.. and probably has at some point in their career.. it's a long road to the NFL.. most start coaching high School...

Andy Reid was historically a offensive line coach.. he gets his chance to be a quarterback coach to favre and now he's a guru.. sometime that all it takes for a coach 

And there are also defensive passing game coordinators.. could be that

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

I mean… what even is a Fellowship Coach? 🤨

It’s about outreach to the players that may have needs, I guess…,

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

If the Bills are looking for a “Fan Interface Coordinator”, I’m qualified.  I played center in Little League but I can make the transition. 

My son’s buddy was the QB of his high school freshman team. He had played QB in little league so that seemed like he had a step up on the others. That is…..until it came out that his center was a girl. He not only lost credibility, but it led to some serious ribbing! I mean, what are a bunch of HS freshman boys going to do with that?   😂

Sorry, gotta brag: by senior year our son was the QB, First Team All-Area, POY and got college interest. (He passed, no pun intended.)  It was worth staying in a little 2 BR rental in Florida so he could finish his senior year. Special times for him…and us.  Then moved to our ATL home upon graduation. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.