LA market not in top 10 for SB TV ratings

YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

OK people…the lack of understanding about the make up of the greater Los Angeles area is stunning. Here’s a hint…LA is not just a much bigger version of Buffalo! Sheeesh. 

I thought good portion of LA was just big version of Mighty Taco when I was there.

I actually stayed near were LA Stadium is when I was off when I worked there.

One of the Hilton hotels there was very good but not near enough for daily commute on 12 hour days.

36 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

OK people…the lack of understanding about the make up of the greater Los Angeles area is stunning. Here’s a hint…LA is not just a much bigger version of Buffalo! Sheeesh. 

Coming clean here…I don’t really understand how the ratings work. 

Would you not look at the percentage of people in any given market watching a particular event? Obviously, LA is enormous compared to Buffalo. They will have MORE people watching, but as a percentage?

I would think the city would be invested in a SB with a “home town” team playing a few miles (or a few hours) up the road should mean something.  But I also get that they have beaches and mountains and so much more to do. 

There is a reason LA went forever without a local NFL team. (One of them being a threat to other cities to build new stadiums, but that’s for another thread.) They just don’t care that much, it seems. The Dodgers can buy all the best players, and the Lakers are the Lakers. They have USC, and UCLA and so many other options, you have to win to get attention. But they just won the Super Bowl, and it just feels  “that was nice, what else do you have for me?” 

I’m asking, not saying here. 

32 minutes ago, QCity said:

LA market is 5.7M people. Cinci is 925K.

I feel it’s far, far, FAR more extreme than that. I’ve lived in Cincinnati. There is not much outside of it, where LA is just more, and more, and more. Like Jacksonville, where you draw the boundaries matters. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Cincinnati and Columbus-  well pretty obvious why there'd be high ratings

Detroit though?  Kinda surprised.  I always thought Buffalo was a lot more of a football fan kind of city..  In the sense that Bills fans would still show strongly during the drought.  Lions now- I didn't think that much 

From the Detroit area. I think this shows what Lions fans could be to other city's. They love Stafford, it's Big 10 country, lot of football fans. Not the level of die hard Buffalo shows, but hard to tell what really exists when a team has literally never been good. One playoff win in the Super Bowl era. Some really good players for that awful of a record as well. Barry, Megatron AND Stafford. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

I feel it’s far, far, FAR more extreme than that. I’ve lived in Cincinnati. There is not much outside of it, where LA is just more, and more, and more. Like Jacksonville, where you draw the boundaries matters. 

While that is true,  the whole LA metro area has over 3 times that number, the Nielson ratings are based on the market sizes stated by QCity

5 minutes ago, without a drought said:

While that is true,  the whole LA metro area has over 3 times that number, the Nielson ratings are based on the market sizes stated by QCity

I drove to Cincy for the game. Chick I'm seeing is down that way. Love the town, but like you said, outside Cincinnati, just not much going on. You have the normal suburbs you tend to see outside metro areas but that's about it. 

The important thing for the NFL is not the ratings per se but rather the change in ratings.

How much did the ratings increase in Cincinnati  vs. in Los Angeles?   I assume the ratings in Cincinnati are always high and I wouldn't be surprise if the % increase in LA in Cincinnati.  Also, as someone has already pointed out, in raw numbers, a 1% increase in the LA area is worth about the same as a 5% increase in Cincinnati area.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Coming clean here…I don’t really understand how the ratings work. 

Would you not look at the percentage of people in any given market watching a particular event? Obviously, LA is enormous compared to Buffalo. They will have MORE people watching, but as a percentage?

I would think the city would be invested in a SB with a “home town” team playing a few miles (or a few hours) up the road should mean something.  But I also get that they have beaches and mountains and so much more to do. 

There is a reason LA went forever without a local NFL team. (One of them being a threat to other cities to build new stadiums, but that’s for another thread.) They just don’t care that much, it seems. The Dodgers can buy all the best players, and the Lakers are the Lakers. They have USC, and UCLA and so many other options, you have to win to get attention. But they just won the Super Bowl, and it just feels  “that was nice, what else do you have for me?” 

I’m asking, not saying here. 

The beaches, mountains, and other options will be there the other 364 days of the year. Fact is LA is a bad football market. But because of its size it still generates a ton of $$$$$ for the league which is all that matters to the Goodell and the owners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As a forty year LA area resident let me try and simplify it: Southern California is a VERY diverse marketplace. American football is not the dominating sport that it would be in Buffalo. (Thus the reason why baseball, soccer, and basketball are so popular.) Not only are there tons of other things to do here but there are a wide range of people with varying cultural backgrounds.

With regards to population check out this statistic: The Inland Empire, the eastern suburbs of LA would be the 12th largest Metro Area in the country with almost 5 Million people if it was considered it’s own ‘city’ and that’s just the eastern suburbs. Yikes!

17 hours ago, Doc said:

We were a Nielsen family twice.  The first time we had to report our viewing online.  The second time (after a few years), we had to wear this beeper-looking thing on our persons and that would tell Nielsen what we were watching.

Interesting.

They’d be picking up a ton of YouTube & Netflix at our place… or ‘The Wiggles’ 😂, when the Granddaughters are over!

LA itself, has 1000 x more things to do, other than watch the NFL- unlike more than a very few other cities in America! 

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

6 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Interesting.

They’d be picking up a ton of YouTube & Netflix at our place… or ‘The Wiggles’ 😂, when the Granddaughters are over!

LA itself, has 1000 x more things to do, other than watch the NFL- unlike more than a very few other cities in America! 

Both the Giants and Jets get high ratings and their are 1000 things to do in the NYC area as well. LA is bad football market.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.