With Allen, can the Bills de-emphasize skill positions?

Success

I like Ryan Bates....I had been calling for him to start Loooooong before it actually happened.

but lets face it....Bates was sitting on the bench the whole season while our OL floundered.   This to me more then anything says you have to keep the OL strong with talent not just with the starters but also the backups.   Motor started rolling when Bates got inserted.

The skill positions are important.....but lets keep in mind Cole was on the cowboys bench....McKenzie was a guy we either picked up on waivers or traded very little foor........Davis a 4th round pick.  They all started looking REALLY good when Josh was throwing them the ball.

Diggs (also one of my guys long before he got here) is going to look good with any QB

The guy I want to see now so we can know what we got?  Hodgins.....this guy was supposed to be a excellent route running with flypaper hands and we already know he has the height to high point balls

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I like Ryan Bates....I had been calling for him to start Loooooong before it actually happened.

but lets face it....Bates was sitting on the bench the whole season while our OL floundered.   This to me more then anything says you have to keep the OL strong with talent not just with the starters but also the backups.   Motor started rolling when Bates got inserted.

The skill positions are important.....but lets keep in mind Cole was on the cowboys bench....McKenzie was a guy we either picked up on waivers or traded very little foor........Davis a 4th round pick.  They all started looking REALLY good when Josh was throwing them the ball.

Diggs (also one of my guys long before he got here) is going to look good with any QB

The guy I want to see now so we can know what we got?  Hodgins.....this guy was supposed to be a excellent route running with flypaper hands and we already know he has the height to high point balls

Granted that he was selected as a project, but they're sure slowplaying the rollout on this fella. I'm skeptical, though not opposed to a breakout season obviously.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When he said, unsolicited, that "Cole can still play in this league".........that was comical.

If they bring him back I will be f*cking shocked. 😆

Pretty sure that was code for "Hey Joe and Brian, if you want Cole Beasley, you'll have to trade me something for him."

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, nucci said:

why would you de-emphasize the skills positions? If anything you get more...look what happened when KC took away Diggs and Knox...Davis was open

I look at teams like the '90's Dolphins. They put more emphasis on getting weapons for Marino, than on building a championship D.

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

No you don't de-emphasize them.  Brady still had Gronk.  Hernandez.  Welker and Edelman are highly underrated here but they were as good as Beasley or better.  Brady always had talent around him.  Were they all superstars?  No but they were still very very good.  Imagine Mahomes without Kelce and Hill.  Imagine Josh with Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin these last two season.  Our offense would have still been garbage.

Welker & Edelmen were kind of afterthoughts.  Guys that we probably don't know too well if they played on other teams.

• Disagree 2

This train of thought is killing me. I love Josh, but I'm hearing too many threads like this. We have Josh, let him run when we need a first, we have Josh we don't need balance. Granted, he's probably the best all around QB in the league right now,  but for the love of God, let try to keep him around for awhile and not put it all on his shoulders every game. There's only so much one guy can handle mentally and physically. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

This train of thought is killing me. I love Josh, but I'm hearing too many threads like this. We have Josh, let him run when we need a first, we have Josh we don't need balance. Granted, he's probably the best all around QB in the league right now,  but for the love of God, let try to keep him around for awhile and not put it all on his shoulders every game. There's only so much one guy can handle mentally and physically. 

That's exactly what I'm thinking. It is TIME to build a championship defense, so our offense doesn't have to score on every position.

This thread is about the idea that you can't have it all.  You can't have amazing skill position guys and a fierce pass rush.  You have to choose where to prioritize.

22 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe they should do the opposite.  The NE Patriots were able to take this approach because even only 5 years ago the NFL was a very different beast then it is today. IMO the Bills should double down on skill players for the offense.

Bottom line is that over the last 4 years KC has been more successful then NE and they  didn't do it by depriving Mahomes of elite offensive weapons. 

The Bills only have one elite level skill player and that's Diggs.  Hopefully Knox & Davis might be able to make that jump but as good as Singleterry was at the end of this season he will never be an elite RB. 

Hopefully Davis will be as good as Peerless Price was and time of new contract and someone will offer 2 1sts like they did for him so he will get #1 money as he will demand.  Knox I think will take a "team friendly" contract for he will realize no one will put him in position like Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

That's exactly what I'm thinking. It is TIME to build a championship defense, so our offense doesn't have to score on every position.

This thread is about the idea that you can't have it all.  You can't have amazing skill position guys and a fierce pass rush.  You have to choose where to prioritize.

You're completely misreading the current NFL game. It isn't the nineties, the rules strongly favor offense, even the '85 Bears would have trouble dominating. When you have arguably the best qb in the game, you play to that strength and add playmakers to extend his career and increase his effectiveness. That doesn't mean you neglect defense, but the relative tilt needs to go opposite from your intuition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The whole thing was typical Beane. Even when he tries to play his cards close to his chest he tells you things without meaning to. His language, his turns of phrase, his tempo, he tells you what he thinks without saying "I think he was good" or "yea he sucks we need to move on." 

He is a great listen. His end of season pressers are fantastic as are his pre-draft ones. I picture Sean watching them head in hands thinking "shut up Brandon stop telling them things!" I reckon you could listen to Sean speak to the press for 3 days and get nothing. Beane speaks for 3 minutes he has told you something.

As good as Beasley or better? Err... yea. They were better. Not close IMO.

I hated both those players and still do.  They were the best slot receivers I had seen though.  Totally dominant and virtual  unstoppable.  Beasley is a tier below without question.  MacKenzie not even a conversation.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

You're completely misreading the current NFL game. It isn't the nineties, the rules strongly favor offense, even the '85 Bears would have trouble dominating. When you have arguably the best qb in the game, you play to that strength and add playmakers to extend his career and increase his effectiveness. That doesn't mean you neglect defense, but the relative tilt needs to go opposite from your intuition.

I started this thread to hear the discussion. I'm not conclusive on it.

But yeah - I'm still of the school of thought that defense wins championships. And even over the past 2 decades, I'd say that's been true much more often than not. 

I'm looking at a team that's built like the greatest show on turf, or like the Dolphins of the '90's.  I think we need to put much more emphasis on building the D.  

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I listened to Beano's presser today. He doesn't sound like a man de-emphasising offense. Indeed he said protecting Josh and solidifying the line was "a priority".

Keep seeing mocks with Linderbaum falling to the very end of round 1. It’s a premium pick but at 25 it would leverage perhaps trimming one of the higher paid vets and solve problem the Morse problem should he retire, or at least 2023 on.

12 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Pretty sure that was code for "Hey Joe and Brian, if you want Cole Beasley, you'll have to trade me something for him."

If only the Giants could afford such luxuries as a $6M slot receiver. :lol:

Schoen and Daboll got their work cut out for them.

Just now, Success said:

I started this thread to hear the discussion. I'm not conclusive on it.

But yeah - I'm still of the school of thought that defense wins championships. And even over the past 2 decades, I'd say that's been true much more often than not. 

I'm looking at a team that's built like the greatest show on turf, or like the Dolphins of the '90's.  I think we need to put much more emphasis on building the D.  

It's not like they haven't been spending the bulk of the top picks on D. The game changes and strategy has to adapt. The defense is currently good, not great or dominant (the stats are deceptive.) Nonetheless, that is good enough in today's game. If you can upgrade, by all means do so, but not if that means neglecting to spend high picks on supercharging the offense and increasing the oline talent. We're probably just going to disagree on the best way moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.