With Allen, can the Bills de-emphasize skill positions?

Success

22 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’m content going into next year with Diggs, Davis, McKenzie (re-sign), Stevenson, Hodges, and another fast draft pick maybe in the first 3 rounds. Oh and competition for Knox, Gesicki would be a great signing even if he hardly blocks.

Bills won't sign Gesicki. Have  seen contract projections from 10 to 12 million.  Bills aren't going to pay a TE that much to share the position with Knox, who still has upside. 

1 hour ago, nucci said:

They had Duper and Clayton. They just had a bad defense

Duper and Clayton were good,  yes, but the Bills had two Hall of Famers,  plus another at RB.  They didn't have as much top end talent on D,  either,  but their 90 and 92 defenses statistically were solidly in the top half of the league.  

They were probably the 2nd best team in the AFC those two years,  but the Bills had more of everything than they did outside of QB,  where it was more or less even.

Edited by Brandon

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

No argument there but trading another 1st and 4th and $20M per year for another WR are some of the ways I disagree with "the how".

LOL.

Nobody has suggested that.    What most posters are saying is that the Bills need to continue to provide Allen with weapons in response to the OP's idea that the Bills should "de-emphasize" skill positions in order to concentrate on improving their defense because Allen is such a great QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Nobody has suggested that.    What most posters are saying is that the Bills need to continue to provide Allen with weapons in response to the OP's idea that the Bills should "de-emphasize" skill positions in order to concentrate on improving their defense because Allen is such a great QB.  

I know, sorry for being facetious but I'm preparing for all the "Beane should sign this offensive player" threads.

Brandon will get who he can.

Alot of good to very good players on this team. But no true great players sans Allen.

Diggs is good. But he's not a #1 in the mold of Adams or Tyreek.

Defense has good, not great players.

In order to beat the Chiefs we need to improve on that.

On talent alone (Arm strength, accuracy, and mobility) I believe Allen is better than Brady.

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

When they traded for Diggs it was heralded as this Earth-shattering epiphany: McBeane finally being comfortable enough with the state of The Process to take the bold step, to make an aggressive move for that final piece of the roster puzzle.  

For many teams that’s just a normal offseason activity, acquiring a high-priced piece of talent.  

It really should just be the MO at this point.  Fine to be cap-responsible but you’ve got about ten years of the Allen Window left and you CANNOT squander it like the Packers have done.  

And this mentality you've mentioned is hamstrung by needing to get what I'd term "process" types who, while decent talent, aren't moving the needle on game day.  They've made far too many of those signings at lesser priority positions in recent years.  There's been a point made about not having difference makers on defense...and that's again the HC who values players and positions which aren't as necessary.

An interesting off-season is ahead and all eyes are on OBD to be more audacious in personnel.  If they go status quo, gonna be hard to beat KC or the up and coming teams that, especially on offense, are better than Buffalo.    

• Agree 1

On 1/29/2022 at 5:48 PM, GunnerBill said:

The whole thing was typical Beane. Even when he tries to play his cards close to his chest he tells you things without meaning to. His language, his turns of phrase, his tempo, he tells you what he thinks without saying "I think he was good" or "yea he sucks we need to move on." 

He is a great listen. His end of season pressers are fantastic as are his pre-draft ones. I picture Sean watching them head in hands thinking "shut up Brandon stop telling them things!" I reckon you could listen to Sean speak to the press for 3 days and get nothing. Beane speaks for 3 minutes he has told you something.

A full year (or more) before drafting him, Beane I think went on AND off the record about "that big kid in Wyoming." He was openly hoping Allen had a down year leading up to the draft so they'd have a shot at him. And he meant it. (I definitely overheard something to this effect at Tempo.) Maybe he truly didn't believe he'd have a chance at him, so had no qualms admitting the interest? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.