Taunting not called on Hill's TD

Mikie2times

1. I don't like taunting penalties and thinh they're stupid. Doesn't change the fact that's it's a rule they have been calling it an awful lot this year and this was as obvious an example as one could find.

2. I simply find it interesting nobody has discussed this at all this week. I don't find it to be the reason we lost or could have won or anything outside of an obvious penalty in an important situation that nobody discussed which is somewhat shocking for how our fan base behaves

3. IT WOULD HAVE STILL BEEN A TD, 75% of you in this thread do not understand how this is called. It's a dead ball foul after the play is over. Which means we could have elected to apply the penalty to the kickoff giving us great field position OR THE EXTRA POINT, which would have made it a 3 point game if KC misses, and it would have been a 47/48 yard Extra Point try. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

Because the refs decided at halftime to stay out of it! They realized what kind of game this was headed and they literally said “we’re not letting this game get dictated by our flags” they let them play in the 2nd half. They threw zero flags unless it was completely obvious. Heck…Hughes Kneed Mahomes in his face on the sidelines & the refs said “Nope deal with it”. 
so yes Hill knew he would get flagged for that… everyone was getting away with murder that 2nd half

I felt this way as well.  My son kept complaining whenever he saw a penalty that wasn't called and I said "the refs are trying to stay out of this one as much as possible". I love this, as long as they are consistent with it for both teams, which I thought they were.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I felt this way as well.  My son kept complaining whenever he saw a penalty that wasn't called and I said "the refs are trying to stay out of this one as much as possible". I love this, as long as they are consistent with it for both teams, which I thought they were.

I actually think the refs called a very good game as well 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Good. If I never saw another taunting penalty it would be too soon. Sack up.

I disagree in as much as rubbing unnecessary salt in wounds would even create more rancor and the games gets out of control. Nip it in the bud Be Professional and act in same manner

Im not saying throw flags on everything but celebrate without undue focus on opposition. that's my take 

Edited by muppy

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

or on the extra point

Well if its something that can be added to the XP, then yeah, it would have made the XP tougher, but I doubt it changes anything.  Butker is one of the best kickers in football, and while any kicker is capable of missing kicks (he missed one at end of half even), odds are the outcome is the same.  

And as far as taunting goes, I don't think what Hill did is any different than anyone high stepping into the end zone.  And I have seen plenty of other times where people are waving bye to someone they ran past and not get flagged.  

I think it becomes taunting more when a player gets into someones face or stands over them enticing contact or reactions.  This is way way way down on my list of things I think about this game.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Well if its something that can be added to the XP, then yeah, it would have made the XP tougher, but I doubt it changes anything.  Butker is one of the best kickers in football, and while any kicker is capable of missing kicks (he missed one at end of half even), odds are the outcome is the same.  

And as far as taunting goes, I don't think what Hill did is any different than anyone high stepping into the end zone.  And I have seen plenty of other times where people are waving bye to someone they ran past and not get flagged.  

I think it becomes taunting more when a player gets into someones face or stands over them enticing contact or reactions.  This is way way way down on my list of things I think about this game.  

Thing is though, if added to XP attempt, they would have just went for 2 and likely gotten it. Maybe that's why we see it applied to KO's?

10 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Thing is though, if added to XP attempt, they would have just went for 2 and likely gotten it. Maybe that's why we see it applied to KO's?

It's at the discretion of the coach to take it on the Extra Point or the kickoff. They would have never considered going for two on the 18 yard line if we took the penalty on the extra point. Most coaches take it on the kickoff because it provides a better expected outcome. In this situation I think we probably would have taken it on the extra point given Butker was not having his best game. 

Edited by KzooMike

8 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

They wouldn't have gone for 2.  If the penalty can be applied to the XP, then that includes the 2 point conversion, and instead of being attempted from 2 yard line, the yardage penalty would have moved them back way further.  

Sounds like some are saying it would have been McDs choice to apply to XP or KO (I just thought it was KO), and if that was the case, I assume he applies it to XP to try and increase odds they missed it so they would only need a 3 instead of a TD on the final drive.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

It's at the discretion of the coach to take it on the Extra Point or the kickoff. They would have never considered going for two on the 18 yard line if we took the penalty on the extra point. Most coaches take it on the kickoff because it provides a better expected outcome. In this situation I think we probably would have taken it on the extra point given Butker was not having his best game. 

Oh yeah, I had brain fart there.... Yeah would be 15 added for 2 pt attempt also. My bad

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

They wouldn't have gone for 2.  If the penalty can be applied to the XP, then that includes the 2 point conversion, and instead of being attempted from 2 yard line, the yardage penalty would have moved them back way further.  

Sounds like some are saying it would have been McDs choice to apply to XP or KO (I just thought it was KO), and if that was the case, I assume he applies it to XP to try and increase odds they missed it so they would only need a 3 instead of a TD on the final drive.

Yeah was just pointed out to me. My mind is slippin lol

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bmur66 said:

It is sad when we are reduced to whining about a taunting penalty

Its not sad. Its part of the healing process. Rehashing the game over and over again is natural. Let people hash it out and heal in their own way.

As for the penalty, I saw there was a huge hold towards the end that prevented a sack on Mahomes. Don't remember if it was OT or the 13 second series and i dont want to look, but man was it blatant. Refs apparently weren't gonna be blamed for swaying the greatest game in playoff history one way or the other.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.